Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan fireball

Options
  • 11-08-2010 9:20pm

qucik, fireball, or meteorite, not sure but uits beautiful :)
    :eek::eek:

Comments

I can still see it, anyone heading west down the motorway will have cracking view. Wow, my first time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Jake1 wrote: »
    I can still see it, anyone heading west down the motorway will have cracking view. Wow, my first time :)
    good man,now lay back&have a smoke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:( cant see anything YET!!!

delw wrote: »

I will. Im so stoked. It was my Mams funeral yesterday, and I asked her for a sign. She always laughed at me for skywatching. So I knew the Persieds were coming and I said Mam I never see anything, send me a sign.
    :)

I just stood on a chair to look out and its still travelling.

Duh, I just got that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Did it just move fairly slowly accross the sky and then vanish, after going most of the way accross? if it did, it might have been the ISS . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is a meteor shower for the next few nights, it started last night. Annual event.

Did it just move fairly slowly accross the sky and then vanish, after going most of the way accross? if it did, it might have been the ISS . .

nAH, I watch for that, it wasnt the ISS. metoerite. for sure, big blazing orangeyred thing. huge plume trailing.

I will. Im so stoked. It was my Mams funeral yesterday, and I asked her for a sign. She always laughed at me for skywatching. So I knew the Persieds were coming and I said Mam I never see anything, send me a sign.
    :)

I just stood on a chair to look out and its still travelling.
    sorry to hear that,hope it was the sign you were lookin for in this hard time for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It must be one of the longest ever recorded in atmosphere?

• Advertisement

You tell me, Gee.:rolleyes: I dont know, I just know I saw it for about 5 mins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wow, this sound amazing! Wall to wall cloud here so can't see it! :(:(:(

Any pics will be most welcome!

Wow, this sound amazing! Wall to wall cloud here so can't see it! :(:(:(

Any pics will be most welcome!
    Sorry DE, I had my phone switched off from yesterday. Only camera I have at moment.

Fecking raging meself :) I dragged my partner up quick quick LOL nearly gave him heart attack but he saw it too :)

I hope someone caught it.
    Should be good night here in Lucan, skies are lovely, thats why I was looking out earlier the sky was sooo stunning.

Im still buzzin :)

jake1 you should report it to astromomy ireland if it was in sky for so long

jake1 you should report it to astromomy ireland if it was in sky for so long

I will, Id like to hear it verified myself anyway.

I will, Id like to hear it verified myself anyway.

Just emailed them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Hang on a second, you saw a meteor lasting 5 minutes? I don't think so. Heading what direction? I'd say a more likely explanation is a plane with one engine on fire rather than a meteor crawling across the sky. Meteors only glow because of the friction due to their speed, so I'm afraid that was no meteor you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Su Campu wrote: »
    Heading what direction?

Down the N4 towards Cellbridge :eek:
    Now stop raining on Jakes parade lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Bloody hell and I missed it!

Just looked out and saw what I think was a shooting star or at least one moving fairly fast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Did a search on twitter.

This guy in London (@zacharyvoase) said :

Bright orange light streaking across London sky - meteor? Rocket? Burning plane? 39 minutes ago via TweetDeck

then...

Of course, Perseids. Still, that was a huge fireball. 31 minutes ago via Seesmic

Someone else in the UK (Jules_MM) :

Could have sworn i just saw a fireball in the sky.. was definitely something.. 11 minutes ago via Snaptu.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If it lasted that long and moved that far, it may have been an outburst of the aurora borealis, could you see any unusual light outside of the streak? For that to have been a meteor, it would have to be very high up, the average Perseid fireball lasts about 3-5 seconds and they move very fast compared to the ISS for example; that's because they are burning up a few kilometres overhead and not orbiting at 200-500 kilometers.

If that was an auroral streak then we're in for a strong showing later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If that was an auroral streak then we're in for a strong showing later tonight.

Wouldn't think so, we have no solar activity expected and their is no G-Scale warning. The Auroral patterns is quite red but well confined. We'd Need a G3 to see anything.

A meteor can hang in the sky for a long time, almost skimming the upper atmosphere. It's as likely to be a stray and not part of the expected shower.

I saw one years ago and sure enough it looked like a burning plane and it did hang there moving almost in slow motion.

The time period is still pushing even that a bit though.

Well lots of people have reported seeing the same thing over a large area, so it must have been quite high up alright.

This is good news as I was planning to have a look this evening here, the skies will be clear. And by then we will be eight hours closer to the peak of the event which I believe is some time late tonight and on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy here. And Sat24 shows 1,500 miles of cloud coming from the Northwest though it may break up inland I cant be ar$ed going inland

Su Campu wrote: »
    Hang on a second, you saw a meteor lasting 5 minutes? I don't think so. Heading what direction? I'd say a more likely explanation is a plane with one engine on fire rather than a meteor crawling across the sky. Meteors only glow because of the friction due to their speed, so I'm afraid that was no meteor you saw.

Actually , no you hang on a second, I know what I saw and how long I saw it for. I already stated it was heading west. Im a grown women who can tell difference between an aircraft on fire and a fireball. Dont be so nasty and assuming.

Some people think they know f****** everything.:mad:
    Aircraft engine on fire. Jesus.

Clear skies here at midnight, went out for a look and saw one or two ordinary meteors, nothing as spectacular as what you saw ... might have another look before calling it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Chinese Lantern? Although moving westwards AGAINST a NW wind probably not...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Danno wrote: »
    Chinese Lantern? Although moving westwards AGAINST a NW wind probably not...

I hate to blow everyones theory on this one & agree with above, but it is chinese lanterns.

They have come on sale recently in a fair few stores - you light them, let them go and they will float with the prevailing winds for up to a mile.

I think Tuthills sell them.

Don't forget on a calm night, the prevailing breeze can come in off the sea.

Advertisement