Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muzzle my boxer?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I was out this afternoon walking my 2 boxers in my local park both on leads when a jack russell runs up and attacks tyson (cutting his lip) and tyson reacted a bit until i shouted at him to stop. The owner of the jrt had the cheek to approach me and say its a shame i dont have muzzles on these DANGEROUS DOGS!!! the 2 of them are big friendly giants wouldnt harm a fly, than a woman who was passing was saying mine should be put down and saying she was going reporting me. Just wondring tho if there is a new law in that boxers must be muzzled? If so it is a joke as they are a great placid dog which i dont see any sense in muzzling them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No there isnt, tell them to feck off and mind their own business and that your dog was the one who was attacked first!!:mad:

Did they say anything when you said your dog was under control and on a lead and that it was your dog that was attacked first and it was defending itself?
    Some people really bug me. So dont mind them, your dog did what any other dog would do, defend itself so you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

boxermad wrote: »
    I was out this afternoon walking my 2 boxers in my local park both on leads when a jack russell runs up and attacks tyson (cutting his lip) and tyson reacted a bit until i shouted at him to stop. The owner of the jrt had the cheek to approach me and say its a shame i dont have muzzles on these DANGEROUS DOGS!!! the 2 of them are big friendly giants wouldnt harm a fly, than a woman who was passing was saying mine should be put down and saying she was going reporting me. Just wondring tho if there is a new law in that boxers must be muzzled? If so it is a joke as they are a great placid dog which i dont see any sense in muzzling them

Would be better to put muzzles on busybodies who poke their nose in when they don't know what they are talking about!

There is no law that require boxers to be muzzled. They are not included on the RB list.

OP you were totally in the clear - your dogs were on lead & under control. Your dog is quite entitled to react to the provocation it received from a dog that was not under effective control.

My lab is fear-aggressive with other dogs so I always walk him on lead & Halti which works fine for us & the most I have to deal with is the odd bark or whining unless another dog gets too close, in which case I will ask the other dog's owner to call their dog away. It's amazing how many will tell you "Oh, he's fine!" & just carry on. Had a JRT trying to bite lumps out of him last week. The JR was on a flexi-lead but the woman didn't have a clue how to use it, couldn't call her dog away & just kept saying "your dog is very aggressive isn't he!"

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Don't pay any attention to her. There is no law regarding muzzling a boxer. That owner had no right to give out like that if her dog was off the lead and started it.

As for the passer-by, it sounds like she should be muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Nope the Restricted Breed List is as follows;
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Doberman Pinscher
    • English Bull Terrier
    • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

No boxers are NOT on the RB list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

No mate, boxers aren't required to be muzzled as they aren't on the RB list. Sorry to hear your lad got cut, how is he doing now?
    Its people like the two that drive me bonkers. The JRT was off lead and aggressive and attacked your dog but when your's defended himself he's "Dangerous".
    She should socialize her dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No, you don't need to muzzle your Boxers, thankfully. There was talk of putting them on the Restricted Breeds list, but they didn't make the final cut. What those people told you was hogwash - particularly seeing as your dogs were minding their own business when a JRT off-lead was the aggressor - it's he who should be wearing the muzzle, or else kept on the lead! ;)

Tyson showed great restraint and stopped when you interrupted him - sign of a really good temperament. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Legally they don't have to be muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This kind of sh**** t is why I asked in another thread re leads on dogs in public places.... Because of the idiots who cannot control their dogs.

a dog has the "right" after all to defend itself.

Tell the other woman to report you then!!!! Let her make a fool of herself...Commiseration to you.

I had a man at a garage threatening to report ME once because our wee dog was on a comfy cushion in the back of the car; he said it should be in a trailer!! That it was "cruel":l I finally told him to pick on someone his own size.

Is the dog OK? Poor boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No there is no law saying that boxers must be muzzled, there are 10 breeds on the restricted breeds list that must be muzzled and kept on a lead by law when out in public but the boxer is not on it.
    You should have told that woman that you will report her since it was her dog that started on your dog first, she should also pay for any vet fees since her dog injured your dog first, your dog was just defending itself which it is entitled to do.

Hope tyson's lip is ok. If you know anybody with a friendly jrt that you could let him play with for a while so that he doesn't see them all as bad, just in case the attack sticks in his mind and he starts on the next jrt that he sees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

No Boxers don't need to be muzzled by law, as with all other non RB's they law requires them to be under 'effective' control when in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

no new law the owner of the Jrt was 100% in the wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think so. Those people just sound like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kalie

I'm having the exact same problem. I've got a 9 month old female who's as good as gold. But yet i get alot of abuse and nasty comments about her. I told one woman to learn her breeds before she starts threatening me with the warden.

I think some people see the face and automaticaly think its a RB, they dont see the happy waggy tail or bum and big smiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

boomerang wrote: »
    There was talk of putting them on the Restricted Breeds list, but they didn't make the final cut.

I have been trying to find out how the RB list was drawn up but no one seems to know. If you know of any info please PM me the links.

Having had four successive Boxers I can testify that they are the most unlikely candidates for a dangerous breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Hope tyson's lip is ok. If you know anybody with a friendly jrt that you could let him play with for a while so that he doesn't see them all as bad, just in case the attack sticks in his mind and he starts on the next jrt that he sees.

ya his lip is ok, was only a small cut, i only realised when i rubbed him petting him because he was obeying my command and when i rubbed him i noticed some blood dripping so had a better look but it wasnt deep or anything, just cleaned it with water and at the end of the walk he was grand it had stopped. We have since met a jrt (diff 1 from the 1 who attacked) and tyson just did wat other dogs do, go 4 a sniff haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

kalie wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same problem. I've got a 9 month old female who's as good as gold. But yet i get alot of abuse and nasty comments about her. I told one woman to learn her breeds before she starts threatening me with the warden.

I think some people see the face and automaticaly think its a RB, they dont see the happy waggy tail or bum and big smiles.
    I have an Akita and get the opisite prob people think nothing of their kids running over to him and jumping in his face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Tell her to muzzle her jack russell

Advertisement