Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans advice query

Options
  • 11-08-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭

I received a PM asking me for some advice. As I'm not trans I don't feel qualified to give any advice so I am posting on behalf of the person who sent the PM to me
    hi,i recently came out to my psychiatrist and psychologist about being trans. they were both ok with it (although the psychiatrist was a bit insulting-uinintentionally)
    he said he was going to refer me to a team in st.pats? and a dr kelly? is that normal?
    also ive been suicidal since i was 9 (im 6ft and fairly big shoulders and ribs) any advice on what i can expect from the process and the hrt?
    any help is greatly appreciated
    thanks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

hi,i recently came out to my psychiatrist and psychologist about being trans. they were both ok with it (although the psychiatrist was a bit insulting-uinintentionally)
    he said he was going to refer me to a team in st.pats? and a dr kelly? is that normal?
    Dr James Kelly has probably seen most of the transgendered people in Ireland come through his office. I found him to be a really nice guy. He is a clinical psychologist - his job is to make sure that there aren't any underlying psychological problems with you before you get referred on to Dr Donal O'Shea, in Loughlinstown hospital, who will prescribe hormones (assuming your physical health is up to it).

As for St. Pats - I'm going to assume that is where you are going to meet the psychiatrist who will be looking after you while you go through transition. (In spite of the fact I've been in transition since October last year, I still haven't met a psychiatrist, so I cannot say anything more about the process, except to say that it is normal).
    also ive been suicidal since i was 9
    It is, unfortunately, quite common for trans people to be suicidal.
    (im 6ft and fairly big shoulders and ribs)
    I presume you are saying that because you are concerned about what you will look like post-transition.

The answer depends on many factors, chief amongst them is your age. But I wouldn't worry about that - you aren't going to have any idea what you may end up looking like until you are well into the process of transition.
    any advice on what i can expect from the process and the hrt?
    Everyone's experience is unique. But in general - you will see Dr. Kelly a few times, and he will refer you on to the endocrine unit of Loughlinstown hospital. There you will get a health check and, assuming there aren't any counter-indicators, you will be prescribed hormones. You will be on hormones for the rest of your life.

I recommend you read the "trans resources and experiences" sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Good luck! I hope your transition goes well, and I hope it proves to be the wonderfully life-changing experience it has been for me and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

anyone else wanna give advice?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Miss Ogyne

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I received a PM asking me for some advice. As I'm not trans I don't feel qualified to give any advice so I am posting on behalf of the person who sent the PM to me

Everything deirdre_dub said is correct but I get the feeling that your main question was "he said he was going to refer me to a team in st.pats?" because, like St Brennans (sp?) there are certain associations with that hosp too about if you are a patient you are "Mental" but thats not the reason why he is refering you there, see we all have to get approval from Dr Kelly, Dr O' Shea, our own GP and an external Psychiatrist but that external Psychiatrist HAS to be one that would treat people in the area we live so say I live in town I have to see an external Psychiatrist in the Mater Hosp, Someone in Blanchhards town would have to see one in Blanchardstown hosp and the same for someone in Tallagh, tallagh hosp. It's not a question of your sanity it's just we all have to see someone in our catchment area and where you live just is most likely just in the catchment area for Pats.

As an aside give up the sucide thoughts, if you want to help yourself thats not the way to do it, suicide is the worst way to go because if you succeed then thats game over and it won't matter what your gender then because your family will bury you as what they see your gender to be and chances are it won't be as female so all suicide will achieve is to keep you as male forever (Morbid I know but consider it, there's no point throwing your life away if everyone will deny the real reason you chose to take it, you'll prove nothing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

(im 6ft and fairly big shoulders and ribs)

This right here is what freaks out a lot of trans people, but don't worry about it. There was a thread recently on the Trueselves website (this is a private transgender message board, I'd really recommend signing up) about Shoulders & Chest Circumfrence, and there's a lot of really interesting info from some of the girls on there. One girl going from a 42" chest as a boy, down to 36" as a girl (add breast growth to that), another going from 45" down to 39".

There's a lot of upper body mass, muscles and such in the back, shoulders and neck, that you will probably shed with HRT. There was some pretty amazing pictures posted too, you should sign up and take a look at some of the girls there, they look incredible.

I'm like yourself, tall, big shoulders, big chest and I am not the least bit worried about it :)

The thing you have to remind yourself is, women come in all shapes and sizes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh and to the OP TENI should be able to give you advice as well

http://www.teni.ie/Support

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

By the way, if the OP would like to send me (a trans woman in transition) a PM with any further queries or concerns, she is welcome to do so, though since it looks like I'm heading to Waterford tomorrow for my third pride of the year (yay!), it may be a few days before I can get back to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Likewise if the OP wants to chat to me that's cool too. (also trans - post transition).

All I'll add is that the doctor I saw in St. Pats (Denehan) is excellent and really understanding so hopefully that's who you'll see. I found him much more helpful then Dr. Lucey (the psych a lot of trans people are usually refered to in Jame's).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Just posting to agree with Links, height is not the end of the world. I'm about 5 inches taller than you lol. Definitely check out Trueselves, there's a before / after section with hundreds of pics of all body types and everyone there is willing to advise on clothes, etc.

Advertisement