Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 tonne hiab on tail of Ford Transit pickup.

• 11-08-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello all! Im thinking of mounting a 1 tonne hiab onto the tail of a 03 90T350 Ford Transit pickup mwb as opposed to behind the cab for better reach. If anybody has one fitted like this or knows if they are a success ie. are they to hard on themselfs with the extra weight on the tail etc. i would be extremely gratefull.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

sticknhoff wrote: »
    Hello all! Im thinking of mounting a 1 tonne hiab onto the tail of a 03 90T350 Ford Transit pickup mwb as opposed to behind the cab for better reach. If anybody has one fitted like this or knows if they are a success ie. are they to hard on themselfs with the extra weight on the tail etc. i would be extremely gratefull.

that doesnt sound like a good idea because if your lifting anything heavy the front of the van will either lift or will slide all over the place.
    i think you would be better of with it mounted behind the cab as you will be between the 2 axles and fit a set of prop stands to stabilise the van when lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

i was workin with a lad who had a small crane on a ranger pickup, seemed to work ok, but wouldnt really trust it there myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

sorry, meant to say it was on the rear end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sticknhoff

i know what you mean, but i wouldnt bother putting it on unless i could mount it at the back because it would be no advantage to me behind the cab. Its either that or go for a bigger lorry and then your into a C licence and thats another days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I honestly don't think that the chassis would be fit for a 1 tonne.

Happened to see this on pistonheads link

Even at that you may be pushing your luck. The Transit chassis is pretty flimsy at the best of times, never mind when the tin worm starts to set in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

What'll the crane weigh?

Surely a 3.5t dropside will only have a payload of 1.5t already, and a hiab capable of picking a tonne is gonna weigh a couple of hundred kilos, will it be worth it for what payload is left?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Those transits weigh about 1.9 tonne, depending on the body fitted, so adding another tonne for a crane and you have limited your payload substantially. A Mitsubishi canter might be more suitable.

Although i have seen Dublin Corporation VW Transporter pickups with light folding cranes on the rear corner so you may find a crane suitable for your tranny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I doubt those cranes on the DCC vans would lift much more than a manhole lid, in fact I think that is what they are used for

Advertisement