Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for beginner?

• 11-08-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I have always had a keen interest in photography and would love to learn from scratch. I have enrolled in a local class but where are the best classes to attend? How much do they cost?

What basic equipment would i need starting off? Not use to all the tech names just yet so any help would be great thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

My best advise is to keep a camera, any camera, on you at all times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Best advice I can think of:

Classes are a waste of money, learning things yourself ensures you'll actually understand what you learn, and there's a chance you'll stumble across some decent shots while learning.

I think the best thing anyone can do, is take the camera out of the box, play with every setting they can find, and just take pictures, and keep doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Classes are certainly not a waste of money. The key though is indeed to play about with the camera as much as you can. Classes can facilitate that, but never replace it.

Sounds like you've made the right start:) try out the class you've enrolled in, and if you feel it's a little dry in certain aspects maybe we can help you out or point you in a good direction..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You don't say where you are located.

Classes can be a good way to get your head around the technical issues which you should master to allow you to control the exposure. This information can also be gained from books or online. It depends on how you best absorb information.

There is no substitute for actually getting out there and taking photo's. If you can do this with other people who can assist you all the better. You could also look at joining a local camera club. It suits some people & can be a good place to learn, go along to a few meetings and see if it is for you. If there are a few clubs around try them all out.

You can also start to post your images here & asking for C&C (Comment & Critique) where people here can offer their opinions on how to improve.

Advertisement