Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The higher maintenance grant.

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Seen a lot of rumours about lately about the grant being cut. NOT TRUE. It has been cut by approx 5%.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055765533&page=3

Plus the closing date for applications is the 31st of August, any late applications will be considered depending on reasons.

Plus those taking on a UCC course need to apply to the local county council offices, those applying to CIT need to apply through the VEC. In each case a comprehensive form has to be filled out.

Don't worry about not being able to complete the form whilst waiting for documents, submit the partially completed form before the deadline and submit documentation afterwards as the documents come in.

For VEC applications then: Here is the application in pdf format: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1273247091/DES_Student_Grant_Application_Form_final_for_web_06May10.pdf

Also note that the registration fees will be paid once the application goes through. Your college may chase you for these fees but they do understand the red tape that you will go through so don't sweat it to much.

Get your applications sorted as soon as possible though to avoid delay. Best of luck in your studies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 johnmurphy2010

Thanks for that Deliverance, Im have applied for the maintenance grant to do the PGDE (teacher training) in UCD next month and am wondering will I really get it.
    I am a mature dependent (on parents) candidate and last year (2009) I earned around 9,500euro. My father (in 2009) earned around 43,000. My mother wasnt working in 2009 so thats a plus in some way i suppose.

So would I be correct in saying that the total family income for 2009 is 9.5 + 43 = 52.5k?

When your being assessed, is the assessment performed really performed this quickly and simply? or do they take alot more into account?

Thanks.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks for that Deliverance, Im have applied for the maintenance grant to do the PGDE (teacher training) in UCD next month and am wondering will I really get it.
    I am a mature dependent (on parents) candidate and last year (2009) I earned around 9,500euro. My father (in 2009) earned around 43,000. My mother wasnt working in 2009 so thats a plus in some way i suppose.

So would I be correct in saying that the total family income for 2009 is 9.5 + 43 = 52.5k?

When your being assessed, is the assessment performed really performed this quickly and simply? or do they take alot more into account?

Thanks.

J.

have you been on a social welfare payment? You might be entitled to BTEA if you are

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 johnmurphy2010

i havn't been on social welfare nope. i have been a student studying for my degree for the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Hate to say it john but you're over the cut off.

I just found out I wont be getting the grant for that reason too. So pissed off, I think this system of assessing your parents income is pathetic. Im a maute student going back to college to avoid sitting on the dole for the next couple of years (currently on social welfare). Im 26 years old and only live at home cos I cant afford to live anywhere else... this means im not entilted to any help from the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Doop wrote: »
    Hate to say it john but you're over the cut off.

I just found out I wont be getting the grant for that reason too. So pissed off, I think this system of assessing your parents income is pathetic. Im a maute student going back to college to avoid sitting on the dole for the next couple of years (currently on social welfare). Im 26 years old and only live at home cos I cant afford to live anywhere else... this means im not entilted to any help from the state.

Our goverment is the most short-sighted goverment in the world. It will cost the state a lot more to keep you on the dole than pay for your further education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks.

J.
    I don't think they will take whatever situation that you have into account if you are in a postion to put it across as a real need i.e. not being able to afford the education for whatever personal reason then do that as best you can.

I know a chap who was similar to yourself and he did not qualify by his family income being 100euro over the cut off point.

It would be more fair I think if the grant was assesed on a sliding scale, i.e. lets say the grant was 5000 for one year and the family income was 100 to 4000 over the cut of point then the grant should be 4900 to 1000 based on this. The cut off point is a bit tight really and negates by it's design those that might be entitled to it over those that are fully entitled to it.

Advertisement