Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning Balls in the sky?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Dont think that im a fruit cake but i was out in my front garden this evening painting the front gates when i seen something in the corner of my eye.I looked up into the sky and saw what seemed to be a burning ball.It was going around the same speed as an airplane but i know for a fact it wasnt!it was orange,very bright and made no noise this happened at 10.05pm it was heading southeast and after a minute just disappeared?

is there anyone in the carlow area that saw this??????????????????????????????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

It was probly a Chinese lantern

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Registered Users Posts: 30 itsme83

It was probly a Chinese lantern

Dont think it was i just looked them up it was bigger than Chinese lanterns

JustinOval wrote: »

LoL cheers guys that would be it thanks for the quick replys was a bit freaked.

• Advertisement

This thing was very close was around cloud level would they pass that close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

itsme83 wrote: »
    This thing was very close was around cloud level would they pass that close?
    No, meteors burn out in the upper atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

SkepticOne wrote: »
    No, meteors burn out in the upper atmosphere.

Unless it landed! But we should know about that now, it would have been big enough to be noticed, you'd expect a foot wide crater, within a hundred miles or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

gbee wrote: »
    Unless it landed! But we should know about that now, it would have been big enough to be noticed, you'd expect a foot wide crater, within a hundred miles or so.

No ...

As far as I know Cavan is still there and no they do not always burn up in the upper atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Its the Perseids meteor shower, happens same time each year around this time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

itsme83 wrote: »
    Dont think that im a fruit cake but i was out in my front garden this evening painting the front gates when i seen something in the corner of my eye.I looked up into the sky and saw what seemed to be a burning ball.It was going around the same speed as an airplane but i know for a fact it wasnt!it was orange,very bright and made no noise this happened at 10.05pm it was heading southeast and after a minute just disappeared?

is there anyone in the carlow area that saw this??????????????????????????????????????

I saw the very same thing about 4 months ago in the wicklow area.It was about 100 feet in the air ,totally silent and heading east for blessington lakes.It was travelling very slow and was bright orange ,nearly pulsating.After I saw it somebody thought it could be ball lightning ,so I googled it and a lot of people with the same descriptions.Don't know weather I believe the whole ball lightning thing but it was no meteor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I saw the very same thing about 4 months ago in the wicklow area.It was about 100 feet in the air ,totally silent and heading east for blessington lakes.It was travelling very slow and was bright orange ,nearly pulsating.After I saw it somebody thought it could be ball lightning ,so I googled it and a lot of people with the same descriptions.Don't know weather I believe the whole ball lightning thing but it was no meteor!

That's definitely a Chinese Lantern

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

you were outside painting gates at 10pm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Sounds like a chineese lantern all right.... there were a couple in Wexford last night.

Frightened the life out of me for a second before somebody told me what they were.

Advertisement