Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeware Anti Virus

• 11-08-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hey all i'm currently looking to start using a new/different anti virus.

I'm currently using Avast and its grand but its causing my games to crash at times, this is due to its real time scans.

So the anti virus for me has to be minimal on my systems resources and be easy to disable by myself and also be a little more gamer friendly

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Avast is what i'd recommend, its got a gaming mode that turns off real time scans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Try microsoft security essentials. I was using Avast but switched to MSE and find it much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

PWEI wrote: »
    Try microsoft security essentials. I was using Avast but switched to MSE and find it much better.

Alot of my software tends not to be genuine and that will cause a problem won't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

+1 for MSE. Running Doom 3 on my ****ty ol machine with no hiccups.

(Spec 1.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.00GHz 80GB HDD)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just add scan exclusions for your game folders.

MSE is what I'm migrating into. No problems so far, and no headaches more importantly. Avast locked up my older PCs to update itself and then it shouts this fact to all of my customers. It had to go.

Yes you need Genuine Windows. But at $120 or whatever it is in € its great value. Whats that, 4 nights out? 2 new video games? I can understand the relative ease of hacking a game but hacking an OS leads to numerous headaches. Just worth buying. Or, theres linux.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

On my main private machine I run MSE plus free ad-aware, backed up by Pc-Tools Spyware Doctor.
    I also have installed Malwarebytes full paid version for occasional extra security scans.
    (My main machine is ultra security protected and critical to running/tracking operations thus the level of precaution.)

For average users I'd definitely go with MSE plus free Ad-Aware to begin with.
    You should be covered fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont even bother with ad-aware anymore. My experience over the last several years has been that they have fixed the security exploits that adbots used to get onto your computer for the most part. Coupled with a newer operating system, the problems of chronic popup virii are long behind me with or without the spybot or adaware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I would definitely recommend abandoning Avast!. I found it great up until the latest version which seems to have seriously slowed down my laptop.

Unfortunately I had been such a fan that I paid for the full version this year so I will suffer on with it until it's term is up it but then I'll definitely be dumping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

I don't even bother with Windows anymore (outside of a virtual machine).

No anti-malware, AV, <insert your band-aid application here>.

Laptop runs sweet and I don't have to wait until patch Tuesday for security issues to be fixed.

Seriously though if you have to use Windows I've found Security Essentials is as good as anything and at least it's free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont even bother with ad-aware anymore. My experience over the last several years has been that they have fixed the security exploits that adbots used to get onto your computer for the most part. Coupled with a newer operating system, the problems of chronic popup virii are long behind me with or without the spybot or adaware.
    True that Ad-Aware has the occasional pop-up but as a free tool for catching items, it still has a place in aiding protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Use MSE for the most part, I don't mind using avgfree either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Avira: http://www.free-av.com/

Free.

No POP3 (email through Outlook etc.) scanning though, that's how most of the free AV's try to sweet talk you into buying the product.

I always thought Avast was quite fragile and a resource hog.

Advertisement