Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Day trip to Wales on bike

• 11-08-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting a passenger ferry to Wales on Saturday week and bringing my bike. I'm just wondering has anyone done this? I imagine it would be a very enjoyable day and a little different than your typical spin which is always good. I think it is only something like €30 for a return ticket; though I need to check that.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was thinking of getting a passenger ferry to Wales on Saturday week and bringing my bike. I'm just wondering has anyone done this? I imagine it would be a very enjoyable day and a little different than your typical spin which is always good. I think it is only something like €30 for a return ticket; though I need to check that.

Didn't do a day trip but was there last month cycling. If you're getting it for that price I say go for it. It costs me something like €35 to bring my bike to Dublin on the train. Also Wales is lovely. Usually there is a €10 or so charge for the bike each way.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

I cycled through Wales years ago. If you can do it go for it. Great scenery.

MiCk B. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

The biggest problem with your plan is that the ferry sailing times aren't all that convenient (well, the Dublin - Holyhead ferries anyway, not so familiar with Rosslare - Fishguard) so that you won't have that much time before you have to get back on the boat. If you could manage an overnight stay on the Saturday and head back to Ireland on Sunday, I think you'd get much more out of the trip.

But I agree, Wales is excellent cycling country, especially if you like a few hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

looked into this year but procrastinnated too long :(, going out with one ferry operator and back with another allowed enough time to get to the summit of Snowdonia (Snowdonia pass really) and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

Which port U travelling from, and how much time will you have. I cycled fom Snowdonia to Holyhead but not sure if this is relevant for your trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

Stena used to have a 6.30am sailing from Dun Laoghaire. This was great for a one day tour of Anglesey and over Llanberis Pass before returning on the 6.30pm sailing. Bray Wheelers had some great spins over there with our friends in Holyhead CC.
    Best option now is take the evening sailing and spend a night in Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Which port U travelling from, and how much time will you have. I cycled fom Snowdonia to Holyhead but not sure if this is relevant for your trip.

Which route did you take through North Wales? Was it the A55? Did you cycle from Chester direction? Interested to know how road was i.e. busy etc, steep gradient through Snowdonia? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

setanta159 wrote: »
    Which route did you take through North Wales? Was it the A55? Did you cycle from Chester direction? Interested to know how road was i.e. busy etc, steep gradient through Snowdonia? Thanks
    No not from the Chester direction. If you look at the map of wales the A487 from Bangor south to Portmadog, there is a a cycle path running parellel to this road some is off road but suitable for roadbike which evuntally links up with the national cycling network. This the route I choose, before that I cycled around snowdonia for a day.

Heading home I picked up the cycle path at Penygroes to Caernarfon and crossed in to Anglesey by the Menai bridge (1 hr 15min)( this is a must , what a wonderful old bridge) and went on the old road to Holyhead. I did not take the motorway. Menai bridge to Holyhead 2 hrs (fully loaded) not too difficult at all and not too busy.

Very nice for cycling and the cycle paths are good and long.

Hope this is helpful

Enjoy.
    Its very hilly around Snowdonia but is wonderful cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

the Menai bridge (1 hr 15min)( this is a must , what a wonderful old bridge)

+1

Beautiful example of an early cast steel suspension bridge...

Advertisement