Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an IT job with the following qualifications

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to get a job in IT with the following qualifications:

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network + 2009
    Cisco Certified Network Associate

Would this be a good choice of courses to get into IT. There are, of course, other choices - such as:

CompTIA Security +
    Cisco Interconnecting Network Devices
    and more....

I think i would be suited to IT and am looking to change discipline from civil engineering. As you have probably guessed i'm looking primarily at FAS courses, because they are free and i can't afford to pay for training.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you already hold a degree have you thought of doing a masters or pst grad diploma in IT/Comp sci/Comp eng?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Moonbeam wrote: »
    If you already hold a degree have you thought of doing a masters or pst grad diploma in IT/Comp sci/Comp eng?

I have but haven't been able to pick a suitable one. Could you suggest one? I wouldn't be looking to be involved in any programming, have done some C++ and didn't find it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

gnolan wrote: »
    I have but haven't been able to pick a suitable one. Could you suggest one? I wouldn't be looking to be involved in any programming, have done some C++ and didn't find it interesting.

It's important to try and find out what interests you, but don't rule out software development just yet (perhaps you only did a small amount and didn't like the tutor, these things can have an impact).

If you are interested in the networking side of IT, then I'm sure you've realised from other posts in this and other forums that the CCNA seems to be the starting point (and some experience too of course) for employers. Is it a possibility to study for the CCNA and try and organise some on the job training where you are at the moment?

It would also be no harm to talk to someone in HR / someone in recruitment or even various jobsites to see what area(s) the work is in. This may help you decide what area you'd like to go for (of course it's a fine line).

Get as much info as you can before deciding on a path. Moonbeam suggests doing a post grad diploma, a lot of these courses cover the broad areas of IT, after which time you'll have found an area of interest to pursue.
    Regards.

druidhill wrote: »
    It's important to try and find out what interests you, but don't rule out software development just yet (perhaps you only did a small amount and didn't like the tutor, these things can have an impact).

If you are interested in the networking side of IT, then I'm sure you've realised from other posts in this and other forums that the CCNA seems to be the starting point (and some experience too of course) for employers. Is it a possibility to study for the CCNA and try and organise some on the job training where you are at the moment?

It would also be no harm to talk to someone in HR / someone in recruitment or even various jobsites to see what area(s) the work is in. This may help you decide what area you'd like to go for (of course it's a fine line).

Get as much info as you can before deciding on a path. Moonbeam suggests doing a post grad diploma, a lot of these courses cover the broad areas of IT, after which time you'll have found an area of interest to pursue.
    Regards.

Thanks for the reply. On the programming side of things, i understand what you're saying, but it was just something i wasn't the best at and found the work somewhat tedious, and perhaps too complex in parts.

I think i'm definitely going to complete the CCNA anyway in the near future. If you're asking could i search for work experience while completing the CCNA, then i certainly could. But is it likely that someone would take me on with no experience whatsoever? Not sure thats what you meant.

If you mean am i capable of actually doing the training now, i will be able to start the training around the end of November.

I like the idea of a postgrad or masters, but the only one i've really found is the MSc in IT Management in ITT, which is 2 years at a minimum cost of 3500 euro, possibly 5000 altogether. Believe me when i say i cannot afford that. Thats why i think these FAS courses, being of relatively short duration and being free, might give me an insight into an area i have interest in.

I am considering completing the CCNA and Comptia A+ at the same time, do you think this would be too much of a workload? From what i hear the Comptia A+ is quite straightforward, and CCNA is quite challenging.

Appreciate the help

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Re: CCNA, ideally you would look to get work experience in a place with a view to turning it into a full-time job, but the main problem with this for companies is insurance/liability, which is why I suggested trying to organise something with the IT dept. of your current employer. I guess what I really meant was get hands-on hardware experience, not just the piece of paper or from a book.

If you are not currently employed, look into the WPP scheme with FAS.

That course in ITT was one covered by the labour market activation initiative last year, so check with them if that is continued this year. If this is a course you are really interested in then I would ask to speak to the relevant person to discuss the various funding options available to you (and also the course organiser if you have any queries about the course itself).

CompTIA A+ is straight forward in terms of passing the exam, not quite so "straight forward" if you want to really get the knowledge (and there are numerous posts debating this very point, so hopefully no one will spoil this thread by taking up this point). From what you have said in your posts, I would suggest you focus on the CCNA while doing the A+ through FAS ecollege in your own time and at your own pace (as a "break" from your CCNA studies!).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that druidhill. I have two unrelated courses coming up at the end of the month (Dreamweaver and Photoshop), two courses which i purely have an interest in.

I take your point about concentrating on the CCNA and then doing the A+ in my own time but i think the A+ might fill in some basic blanks and give me a good foundation for the CCNA. My aim is to do the A+ and Network + concurrently at the end of November, then tackle the CCNA. Thoughts?

I think i will look into the graduate placement programme and work placement programme with FAS, its something i had actually forgotten about since looking at it a while ago, so thanks for that.

From what i can see on qualifax.ie, there course in ITT is not listed as being funded by LMA but i will look into it further. At the same time, i'm not sure i want to commit 2 years 2 days a week, when i could fire through 4 specific courses in 20 weeks. This may be somewhat short-sighted on my part, but time and money is tight and the sooner i get back working the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

At the same time, i'm not sure i want to commit 2 years 2 days a week, when i could fire through 4 specific courses in 20 weeks. This may be somewhat short-sighted on my part, but time and money is tight and the sooner i get back working the better.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I am currently trying to deal with FAS in regards to getting on IT courses and they seem to be constantly moving the goal posts so I seriously doubt you will get to do 4 courses over your initial 20 week timeline, it will be more likely spread out over 12 months. It is also worth noting that the CCNA has to be taken in two parts, both courses lasting 10 weeks each, so that alone would swallow up 20 weeks of your time right there. Plus there are long waiting lists for these courses and you have to go to an interview for them to gage your suitability so there are no assurances that you will even get a place on the course.

I too had a plan to do a short course (Prince2) then do a CCNA (I have one already but it has expired) a few months ago but I was told that I would only be allowed to put my name down for one course at a time. So I chose the Prince2 course because it was only 3 weeks long and thought I would do the CCNA as soon as it was finished (3 separate CCNA courses start in August btw). I then got a call that the Prince2 was not going to be running in July so I went down the FAS and asked to be put on the waiting list for the CCNA, which they said they would but they are only running 3 classes of 20 people and their waiting list was over 100 people.

So in a nut shell I am down for the CCNA course but at this moment in time there is no date for a new courses and I heard that it could be as late as January 2011 before the new courses go ahead. But I've just checked the FAS site to and the Prince2 course is now listed for September so if I want to do that I'll have to take my name off the CCNA course list and put my name down for that.

Confused? Welcome to my world! I thought I would have two new certs to slap on my CV come Christmas but now I'm not sure if I'll even have one :(

Thanks for your input Raekwon. Its good to have an insight into what i might have to deal with with FAS. I signed up for Dreamweaver and Photoshop with no problem so assumed everything else would be just the same.

I'm hoping that i'll have no problem getting the A+ and Network+ at the same time, perhaps them being purely online will avoid any difficulties. I guess after that i'll try to get the CCNA as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

I say just do the CCNA first. The ICND1 is a foundation and starts at the basics. Buy yourself a couple of switches and a router (CCNA lab on ebay costs maybe 200euro), get the experience yourself.
    Use CBT Nugget Videos and complement it with the Cisco press book if you need anymore detail.
    You can be doing this while the course is going on or before it, then get the exam and you're in a good position for work experience with FAS as mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Shamo wrote: »
    I say just do the CCNA first. The ICND1 is a foundation and starts at the basics. Buy yourself a couple of switches and a router (CCNA lab on ebay costs maybe 200euro), get the experience yourself.
    Use CBT Nugget Videos and complement it with the Cisco press book if you need anymore detail.
    You can be doing this while the course is going on or before it, then get the exam and you're in a good position for work experience with FAS as mentioned before.

+1.

You don't even have to buy a router as you can emulate the router IOS's using GNS3.

So you could just buy two 2950 switches for about €160 and use GNS3 for the routing stuff.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input Raekwon. Its good to have an insight into what i might have to deal with with FAS. I signed up for Dreamweaver and Photoshop with no problem so assumed everything else would be just the same.

I'm hoping that i'll have no problem getting the A+ and Network+ at the same time, perhaps them being purely online will avoid any difficulties. I guess after that i'll try to get the CCNA as soon as possible.

No problem man, btw are you doing all of the courses online or in a FAS training course? Sorry but I just presumed that you were doing them all in a training centre so my answer was geared towards that, I'm sure if you did them online you shouldn't have many problems getting the course that you want.

The only draw back to that is you will have to pay for the exams yourself, I know this because I enquired about doing the CCNA online and asked did FAS pay for the exam and they told me that they didn't. I then enquired about the fulltime course and was told that both the CCNA courses (ICND1 & ICND2) are a mixture of both online and lab work in a training centre with the exam fees paid for plus I am entitled to an extra €32 per week training allowance so it made more sense to do it that way for me.

The A+ and Network+ are both very basic so you should have no problems getting your head around them but the CCNA is tough even for an entry level certificate. Topics like subnetting are hard to grasp if you don't have much experience so I'd recommend going a fulltime course for that, but that's just my opinion.

Best of luck anyway!

I know where people are coming from saying "just do the CCNA first", but it should be understood that i am not coming from an IT background, and my IT knowledge to date consists of troubleshooting problems on a 2 computer home network.

As for routers and switches, i'm in the dark there. Router being the same as a normal home router/modem? And switches...well i have no experience with these. To be honest, i don't know what a CCNA lab does or what i would aim to accomplish with one.

@Raekwon: I plan on doing the A+ and Network+ online and concurrently, and the CCNA plan was to do a blended course (online with workshop tutorials).

From a personal point of view, i think the A+ and Network + would be of benefit to me and, when runnig concurrently, will only take me 10 weeks (maybe less) to do both; which i would not see as wasted time.

You are right not too do CCNA first, like I said in my last post it's fairly tough going and the exam is very tricky. Yeah the blended learning course is the one that I'm referring and will hopefully be doing myself as soon as FAS run the courses again in a few months.

The Network+ will actually give you a good grounding on topics such as the OSI Reference model, protocols & topologies used in a LAN/WAN etc, etc and that will definitely be beneficial to you when you go onto tackle the CCNA.

I did the A+ & Network+ years ago as an elective towards my MCSA, but I'm not sure you can still do that. One thing I only recently discovered was that the compTIA certs will expire every three years after December 31, 2010, so if you do them before that then you will never have to renew the certs (unlike the CCNA). So there is another reason to do them now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You are right not too do CCNA first, like I said in my last post it's fairly tough going and the exam is very tricky. Yeah the blended learning course is the one that I'm referring and will hopefully be doing myself as soon as FAS run the courses again in a few months.

The Network+ will actually give you a good grounding on topics such as the OSI Reference model, protocols & topologies used in a LAN/WAN etc, etc and that will definitely be beneficial to you when you go onto tackle the CCNA

Totally agree. Ease yourself into IT with the A+ and Netowork+ , you will most lightly find these courses enough of a challenge without jumping into CCENT/CCNA.

And like Raekwon said, the CompTIA exams wont expire if you can do them before the end of the year....

Ok, thanks everyone. I'll try get the A+ and Network + done before Christmas, it will be very tight though.

Would anyone be able to give an estimation of how long it would take me to complete the A+ and Network+ if running concurrently? The problem, you see, is that i probably won't be able to start the courses till mid November.

Also, how easy and quickly can i arrange to sit an exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

My advice...get away from IT support/networking area...there are no jobs and no future ! !
    After recent events,there are lots of CCNP / CCIE that are willing to take on board any type of jobs,contracts,nixers...before a CCIE was paid at 1k per day now is taking a less than half of same ! CCNA ?! Is not enough and ,tbh is not the paper is the experience...lots of dumps on the underground,lots of CCIE from far east that have no clue about physical equipment or worked in bars and restaurants BUT they are CCNP/CCIEs...is a joke ! Also,i saw a surge on request for Windows / Linux system engineers as well,not only Microsoft based technologies !

Companies are not spending moneys on IT...hardware is cheap as a pint,not many spending moneys on upgrading desktops / servers/switches and if there are no upgrades,no issues to fix,no jobs needed and mostly all these will be done internally OR by already out-sourced contract companies.Most of the clients have dropped the user basis,less work for IT Support companies,no need for extra techies or engineers

Sorry for long story...

I'll go down the route of offering IT solution/programming/services....you have greater chances to get something like database programmer,CRM / Sharepoint implementer or designer,also .net / web based solutions are and will be at high demand ! Support and hardware associated will be coming as a bonus ! Project management/ITIL/Prince associated experience will be highly seen...

That is my best educated guess...
    Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

rolion wrote: »
    My advice...get away from IT support/networking area...there are no jobs and no future ! !
    After recent events,there are lots of CCNP / CCIE that are willing to take on board any type of jobs,contracts,nixers...before a CCIE was paid at 1k per day now is taking a less than half of same ! CCNA ?! Is not enough and ,tbh is not the paper is the experience...lots of dumps on the underground,lots of CCIE from far east that have no clue about physical equipment or worked in bars and restaurants BUT they are CCNP/CCIEs...is a joke ! Also,i saw a surge on request for Windows / Linux system engineers as well,not only Microsoft based technologies !

Companies are not spending moneys on IT...hardware is cheap as a pint,not many spending moneys on upgrading desktops / servers/switches and if there are no upgrades,no issues to fix,no jobs needed and mostly all these will be done internally OR by already out-sourced contract companies.Most of the clients have dropped the user basis,less work for IT Support companies,no need for extra techies or engineers

Sorry for long story...

I'll go down the route of offering IT solution/programming/services....you have greater chances to get something like database programmer,CRM / Sharepoint implementer or designer,also .net / web based solutions are and will be at high demand ! Support and hardware associated will be coming as a bonus ! Project management/ITIL/Prince associated experience will be highly seen...

That is my best educated guess...
    Good luck...

http://www.boston.com/bostonworks/galleries/30fastest_growing_occupations?pg=31

Just an update here. I have found out from FAS that you cannot, in fact, do two courses at once.

So my plan from here is:

1. to study myself for the A+ and Network + and sit the exams somewhere.

2. try to get a WPP position in IT support

3. begin to study for the CCNA and perhaps the MCITP

Does this seem like a sensible approach? Are there any courses or material that i should be studying for instead or as well? MCSE, CCENT for example?

Would appreciate some feedback

Just an update here. I have found out from FAS that you cannot, in fact, do two courses at once.

So my plan from here is:

1. to study myself for the A+ and Network + and sit the exams somewhere.

2. try to get a WPP position in IT support

3. begin to study for the CCNA and perhaps the MCITP

Does this seem like a sensible approach? Are there any courses or material that i should be studying for instead or as well? MCSE, CCENT for example?

Would appreciate some feedback

MCSE is gone afaik, CCENT is just the first half of the CCNA. You can do the CCNA in two parts if you wish.

For A+ and N+ -

http://www.professormesser.com/

From what ive seen A+, N+ dont have much value if your looking for a job in IT. Cisco and Microsoft is what you want and experience !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Just a quick note, having the certs will not get you the job, especially with the CCNA, as it is known that a good portion of people with the CCNA learned the test questions by cramming, and not by having the knowledge. Any interviewer worth their salt will find this out about you very quickly. Usually a decent engineer will have a strong background on more than one platform, i.e. Juniper/Cisco, also they will have a strong background with Unix/Linux and server administration. Unfortunately the reality of the IT world is you start at the bottom, and work your way up.

I have been IT for 5 years, I already have a job as a network engineer, but im only CCNA certifying at the moment. Your focus should be on getting ANY job in IT, then figuring out where to go from there, you never know, you might even find another aspect of IT that you are interested in. You cant just 'qualify' to be a network engineer, you need the work experience first in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    MCSE is gone afaik, CCENT is just the first half of the CCNA. You can do the CCNA in two parts if you wish.

I thought the CCNA comprised ICND1 and ICND2, i didn't realise that the CCENT had anything to do with it.

From what ive seen A+, N+ dont have much value if your looking for a job in IT. Cisco and Microsoft is what you want and experience !

To be honest, completing the A+ and Network+ are for my own benefit, to give a decent foundation to start from
    novarock wrote: »
    Unfortunately the reality of the IT world is you start at the bottom, and work your way up.

I don't have any problem with that. My knowledge of the industry is limited and i am more that willing to start at the bottom - in fact it would probably be ideal.

I have been IT for 5 years, I already have a job as a network engineer, but im only CCNA certifying at the moment. Your focus should be on getting ANY job in IT, then figuring out where to go from there, you never know, you might even find another aspect of IT that you are interested in. You cant just 'qualify' to be a network engineer, you need the work experience first in my opinion.

Well i'm hoping i can get lucky and attain a WPP position with FAS. I don't mind (within reason) working unpaid for 6 months in order to get to grips with a discipline that i'm unfamiliar with. When it all comes down to it, i think the WPP is my only option, as i can't see anyone paying me to do something that i have no experience in.

Now i just have to find somewhere before they close FAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

well best of luck! Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

rolion wrote: »
    After recent events,there are lots of CCNP / CCIE that are willing to take on board any type of jobs,contracts,nixers...before a CCIE was paid at 1k per day now is taking a less than half of same ! CCNA ?! Is not enough and ,tbh is not the paper is the experience...lots of dumps on the underground,lots of CCIE from far east that have no clue about physical equipment or worked in bars and restaurants BUT they are CCNP/CCIEs...is a joke ! Also,i saw a surge on request for Windows / Linux system engineers as well,not only Microsoft based technologies .

No true,

Networking is booming - if you are good that is.
    Its an Art - many artist spend their entire lives painting and nothing ever comes of it.

Don't listen to other people - do you own thing - if you want to get into networking do it.

From what I can see networking and unified comms over the next 5-10 years is going to be (and already is) a huge cash cow :D

As for advice on a career in IT with those certifications etc... when I started in IT I spent more time talking about doing stuff than actually doing it. Don't make the same mistake - just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blade912

I was talking to a person from India about Networking jobs in India , He was saying that an experienced person with a CCIE earns around 400 dollars a month their , that is compared to over 10,000 dollars a month in the states and they are producing a huge amount of qualified network engineers every year who are willing to work for nothing to get experience. This in turn will reduce the wages for everyone else in the sector

Their are a lot of ccna courses being run in ireland at the moment between FAS and college courses . I would say their is between 100 - 200 people doing ccna courses at the moment. but if you look at the number of jobs available their is probably less that 20 and they required a bit of experience as well. A CCNA and CCNP would be good to have but without experience it would be very hard to get a job and if you are lucky enough to get a job, it is more than likely that you will be on less than 20K (that is the stating wage for a graduate back in 90's).

Having an aim is better than having none so the more qualifications you have, the more chance you have of getting a job.

I believe that the CCIE lab exam is now done on a computer.

if i were you i would download GNS3 here

http://www.gns3.net/

and get the ISO's which is the software the routers/switches work on, so it is the same as working on a real router and switches.

This is enough for CCNA ,CCNP

Buying router's and switches is a waste of money for CCNA since everything can be done on GNS3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Your post assumes that all engineers are equal.
    If Joe has a CCNA, it doesn't mean that he is the same as Bob who also has a CCNA.

So, I'm currently studying for the Network+. Looking to learn as much as possible so was hoping someone might able to recommend some simulation software including tutorials and problems.

I'm not sure if something like this actually exists but i think it would be very helpful. Thanks

Packet Tracer and GNS.

I use packet tracer because using GNS is requires a bit more time to setup (Downloading IOS for the switchs/routers etc.)

To be honest if I were you I would still read and learn the Network+ material but just skip the exam all together and start studying for CCENT. Over 90% of IT jobs dont want people with CompTIA certs and pretty much wont care if you have them or not. Microsoft and Cisco are the buzzwords they are looking for. Comptia exams waste of money imo.

Youll find CCENT easier when you understand the basics that N+ teaches you and CCENT is when you have to start using the simulator software as your given simulator questions on the CCENT, CCNA exams.

I appreciate that, but theres a good chance that i'll be able to sit the Network+ for free so i'll definitely do that. Also, as i might have mentioned earlier in the thread, i'm keen to learn as much as possible. I don't mind if its not widely recognized if it turns about to be helpful to me.

I'll study for the CCENT and CCNA some time in the future, but my priorities for the moment are to complete the N+ and get some experience in the industry.

Advertisement