Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 launch in Brazil - Only $1200 US

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5610337/the-playstation-3-launches-in-incredibly-expensive-brazil
    Nine months after the official launch of the PlayStation 2 in Brazil, Sony brings the high-definition magic of the PlayStation 3 to the South American country, with a launch price of roughly $1130, $278 less than originally planned.

Video games are expensive in Brazil. When the PlayStation 2 launched there last November, the asking price for the then nine-year-old system was around $461.

So it makes sense that the PlayStation 3 carry a higher price tag. Today the 120GB PlayStation 3 Slim goes on sale at Sony Style stores around the country for 1,999 Brazil Reais, which at current exchange rates equals approximately $1,130. Pretty steep, but it could have been worse.

According to Anderson Gracias, division manager of Sony PlayStation Brazil, the original price was to be 2,499 Brazil Reais, or $1,408. In order to stay competitive with the Xbox 360, which sells for R $999 to R $1,599 in the country, Sony is subsidizing part of the cost.

Brazil will get the PlayStation Network in three phases, beginning in 2011 with a Portuguese translation. Then Brazilian content will be added, and finally the service will be tweaked to work with the services available in the country.

Apparently Brazil has some riduclous import fee's on electronics. Only the rich can afford games consoles. Still very odd...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Goes a long way to explain why they're so much better at soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I wonder how much of that is made up of tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

They only got the PS2 9 months ago :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Brazil is just simply a bad place to go for games. I mean, the goddamn cost of them is mindboggeling. Not to mention they also like to ban quite a few games. The people are better off just importing them themselves from other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Its the same over there for all high end electronics, I remember a friend telling me that the rich in Brazil are very rich and they can afford this stuff.
    While the poor are generally very poor.
    Try buying a laptop over there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only gettting the PS2 then, and the prices :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And this time, they can't even use the "piracy" defence, as the PS3 has (close to?) none.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was in Argentina a few weeks back, the old model PS3 is on sale at an equivalent of 750 euro. PS2 slim was everywhere, selling at about 200 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Gran Turismo 5 in Brazil will be almost like the launch title we were promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Wow didn't realise Brazil was still that much of a messed up country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Looks like Eamon Dunphy is right. If they want to continue their dominance in football they'd better keep up the high prices!

Advertisement