Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Predator G7750??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Also, most of the configs I've seen of the Predator have dual Nvidia GTX 260 cards. Are these good? I was under the impression that they were pretty old.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

We can help you with the build part :) If you keep trying to get a pre-built system you will get ripped :mad:

And yes, those GTX260s are pretty old, a single HD5870 or two cheapie low-power HD5770s would most likely run circles around them :p

If I was to build my own, where would I get a case that looks like the Predator? Also, what is the best site to custom build from?

Find an aftermarket case you like the look of - there's plenty out there. IMHO the Pred's case is pretty garish anyway :p

Best site varies all the time. Pixmania and HWVS are the best at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Maybe a red Phantom? At least it's almost as ugly and overpriced as the Predator's case :):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The general rule-of-thumb with pre-built systems is that that the rip-off factor increases pretty linearly with price. With a budget system, they'll almost always be a little cheaper; the side-affect of mass production. They will however cheerfully rape you for higher end systems.

A comparible system to the Predator would be:

(Bear in mind this is all from the one place; you'll have to shop around for the best price)

PSU: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3088239/art/corsair/cmpsu-850hxeu-hx850w-850.html
    Case: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6657030/art/nzxt/guardian-921-pc-tower-cas.html
    Motherboard: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4781147/art/gigabyte/ga-x58a-ud3r-1366-socket.html
    CPU: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4927326/art/intel/core-i7-930-2-8-ghz-l3-8.html
    RAM: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1997805/art/ocz/gold-low-voltage-triple-c.html
    Graphic card: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5558059/art/leadtek/winfast-geforce-gtx-480-1.html
    CPU cooler: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3638024/art/corsair/cwch50-water-cooler-heats.html
    Harddrives: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6219772/art/ocz/onyx-series-sata-ii-2-5-s.html and http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4634963/art/western-digital/caviar-green-2tb-sata-64m.html

The above comes to €1,550, ish. Add in another €100 for Windows, and you've got €1,650, probably up to about 1,700 after delivery.

That's €360 cheaper than the predator, aaaaand:

Has an SSD for your OS.
    Has twice the harddrive space.
    Has a better liquid cooling sytem.
    Has a graphics card that kicks the **** out of SLI 260s.
    Has better quality parts all round, be they quieter, cooler, better warrantied, etc.

If you really really want dual GPUs, get a second 480. A 5970's Crossfire scaling leaves a lot to be desired, two 5870s get trounced by two 460s, and they're cheaper anyway by a good €200. From personal experience of using both, a 480 is much nicer than a 5870. Even if you're not getting the higher numbers, it feels far more fluid than a 5xxx card.

If you need help, I'll be more than happy to walk you through the build process, or to point you to several well done Youtube videos of how to do it.

Cheers for that build you posted. It really helps. Now come the stupid questions:

What will the difference be with the dual graphics cards ie will games play twice as good?

I want to get a 3D monitor so I think I need a Blu Ray drive. Do I also need the case to have HDMI ports? Or are the HDMI ports connected to something else other than the case?

Sorry for the lame questions.....I've never built a comp before and know nothing about it whatsoever but I'm learning loads as I go on. Basically, I want the ultimate gaming rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

they are meant to double the performance in sli/crossfire but they rarely do due to the fact that the drivers are never perfect when it comes to sli/crossfire. the general rule of thumb is to buy the best single card that you can buy and then later if performance isnt great buy another (well my rule of thumb :))

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cheers for that build you posted. It really helps. Now come the stupid questions:

What will the difference be with the dual graphics cards ie will games play twice as good?

I want to get a 3D monitor so I think I need a Blu Ray drive. Do I also need the case to have HDMI ports? Or are the HDMI ports connected to something else other than the case?

Sorry for the lame questions.....I've never built a comp before and know nothing about it whatsoever but I'm learning loads as I go on. Basically, I want the ultimate gaming rig!

Gaming with two graphics cards won't quite give you 2x performance. With ATI cards and NVIDIA cards that aren't the 400 series, you'll get about a 60-70% gain, average. With the 400 series you'll get over 90% performance gains in your games easily.

The problem with multi GPU setups is that you loose slots on the motherboard, so you can't always add more later, so the rule-of-thumb there is to get the best single card you can, and get another one later (or two of the best if you can afford it. ;))

You don't need a blu-ray drive for 3D... dunno where you pulled that from. :) The HDMI ports are on the graphics card. ;)

Also, will I need a sound card, wireless card for picking up wifi, another hard drive eg 500Gb? I've read about people using an SSD for games and then having a normal hard drive as well for everything else. When all of this is added in will it not be more expensive than to buy a pre-made config?

• Advertisement

generally your motherboard will have a built in sound card that will be pretty good, as for wifi you can buy a wifi card or a usb dongle to connect to the internet

Also, will I need a sound card, wireless card for picking up wifi, another hard drive eg 500Gb? I've read about people using an SSD for games and then having a normal hard drive as well for everything else. When all of this is added in will it not be more expensive than to buy a pre-made config?

I have a sound card, and I couldn't live with onboard audio, but that's just me being a picky son of a bitch. :P You'll need a wifi card, or usb stick alright, but they're only about €20-€30 at most.

Using an SSD for games isn't a great idea. All it really gives you is much faster load times, and maybe a couple of extra FPS. It does this however at the expense of the SSD. It'll be dead within a year if games are run off it. Without going into technical detail about SSDs - I'm a little tired as I have exams at the moment - games on SSDs = not so good.

I did give you a 60GB SSD in that build for your OS though. ;) Which means boot times under twenty seconds. :p

In short: No! It's still cheaper to build it yourself. :)

I'm definitely going to build one myself now! Are all the components you mentioned earlier all I need or is there something else. Cheers for the advice on the SSD. Would it be best to have an 80GB SSD for the OS and then use an external hard drive after that or build in a second hard drive?

If the rig you built there can play Crysis and in a few months Crysis 2 on full settings then I'm laughing.

Cheers again for your help and good luck with the exams!

I'm definitely going to build one myself now! Are all the components you mentioned earlier all I need or is there something else. Cheers for the advice on the SSD. Would it be best to have an 80GB SSD for the OS and then use an external hard drive after that or build in a second hard drive?

If the rig you built there can play Crysis and in a few months Crysis 2 on full settings then I'm laughing.

Cheers again for your help and good luck with the exams!

LOL, have another look at the build I gave you. It has a 60GB SSD for your OS (plenty), and a 2TB (2,000GB) drive for everything else. So you'll install Windows on the SSD, and then put anything else on the 2TB drive.

I can tell you that that card will pull 45FPS on Crysis maxed out at 1680x1050, close to 60 if you overclock. ;) Dunno about Crysis 2, but you can always buy a second 480 if you want/need it!

cheers again, sorry for the stupid questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

[IMG][/img]I7BUILD.png

JUST ANOTHER BUILD TO GIVE YOU OPTIONS

Which is more powerful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

to be honest there both on the same par just slightly different case,s faster ssd in mine and i think the ebuyer is cheaper

Yeah, they're both very close. I personally prefer my H50 with two NF-P12s, but it's entirely up to you. The SSD in the other build would be a little slower than the one from eBuyer also. Intel also make a 40GB Value SSD. The X25-V that would be worth looking at. I would have got it for my rig but due to a few different things I ended up going for the Onyx.

I know you guys hate them but where would I get a case that looks like an Alienware case with a window on the side?

• Advertisement

If you mean Alienware, since they were bought by Dell I really like them. I have one of their M17x laptops. If you mean Alienware-like cases, yes, I hate them. You can get them, but they're going to be cheap, flimsy, and pretty bad as far as cooling goes. If you're looking for the ultimate rig, it won't be in an Alienware knock-off case.

The closest you'll get that's in anyway good are cases by NZXT. I think they have one called Gamma that looks alright, and Lexa being one of their earlier models.

you want your case to be more than just looks a good case will give you a good airflow through your rig and keep all your components cool and safe, you should go with a cooler master case as they are some of the best out there, this is the one im going to buy but you can get cheaper

I just got it's bigger brother delivered today. (ATCS 840) :)

@icyseanfitz,

That case u posted is exactly wat I'm looking for! Cheers.

I'm gonna start buying my component - gonna spread the purchases over a few weeks as looking to go on holiers as well.

no problem :) its a full tower case as well so there is plenty of room in it (reason im buying it :))

Serephucus wrote: »
    I just got it's bigger brother delivered today. (ATCS 840) :)
    thats a nice case :) but the limited AMD haf 932 is bringing out my flashy side :)

Only reason I got the 840 over the 932 is that I'm sick of windows in cases. I wanted something plain but high quality. 840 seemed to fit the bill.

im kinda the opposite every computer ive owned has been a pre built one so im going a bit crazy on my first build :)

I've wanted to do a crazy one for a while and keep it in a study/computer room area; UV watercooling, cold cathodes, etc. But my main rig is in my bedroom, and I find it very hard to sleep in a room that glows blue. As a result, I orderd the 840, a bunch of watercooling stuff (H50, and stuff for a custom GPU loop), and a load of sound proofing.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I find it very hard to sleep in a room that glows blue.

QFT :cool::pac:

Advertisement