Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Bin Charges

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but did not see it.

Hi all
    Went to top up my black bin early on and its gone up to 10.50 euro.
    Thats 2.50 more then the last time i done it.
    Now to me thats a f*ucking rip off from south dublin council and i can tell you it wont stop there.
    I can see a lot of litter been dump on the side of the roads from people who just can not pay this week in week out. it was 6 euro then 8 euro now 10.50
    Sorry but my a*s feels a little sore right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Yea just seen this to , SDCC never even gave us any notice would not mind if you would even see the odd road sweeper around or the grass or hedges been cut around tallaght, P***ed off with all these extra Govt charges

God I hate this Country :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

wush06 wrote: »

Hi all
    Now to me thats a f*ucking rip off from south dublin council and i can tell you it wont stop there.
    I can see a lot of litter been dump on the side of the roads from people who just can not pay this week in week out. it was 6 euro then 8 euro now 10.50

Stop throwing so much crap out,
    I recycle almost everything,
    Plastic
    Cardboard
    Aluminium (Cans, etc)
    Bottles
    Compost (Eggs,vegetables, plants etc)

The amount of stuff that goes out into the black bin / week is about 1 small shopping bag.

Basically everything that goes into the Black bin gets dumped and then buried, Irelands is running out of space hence its getting more expensive.

Buy a water butt to collect rainwater for your Garden, theres a ton of ways to save money
    Checkout www.lifehacker.com for some tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Aye, I'm in DLRCC myself and the best way to save money is to recycle and compost. There's no excuse not to if you're low on money. I've a black wheelie bin and went 14 months without having to put it out and I don't know how long it's been since I put it out after the 14 months, but it's been months and months without having to put it out again since. I even rang Panda after 12 months as a joke asking did I win a prize, they put me on hold and came back to say they'd give me a months free service :D Also, I'd say 70% of the "waste" in my black bin is actually just ashes from the fire over winter.

My green bin and compost bin are in use all the time, if it wasn't for the ashes, I'd say my general waste would be less than 5% easily, possibly even less than 1%. It's probably less than 5% with the ashes actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnnorthbrady

Hi all

Do what the travelers do leave it in russel quare in Tallaght. Ha,ha I just put €8 the other evening on it. We received no notice in the post, my neighbor told me tonight that its gone up to €10.50. If the f@ckers don't take it I will be making sure to Burn what I can, F'ck them up the an@l passage. They were only saying on the news the other night that people were leaving there rubbish all over the place as they couldn't pay €8.50. Well its not that I cant pay €8.50, I just don't bleedin want to. A@s holes..
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Got rid of SDCC years ago when City Bin started collecting in our area. Currenty 20% cheaper than SDCC coming in at €8.40. A few nice touches like text message the night before to remind you to leave the bin out, direct debit payment and they'll leave your bin where you left it unlike SDCC who always left my bin about 1/2 a mile down the road when they lifted it.

SDCC are a joke and cant understand why most people dont tell them to sling their hook!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

VAT is now been charged from the 1st Aug. This was brought about by a court case taken by the private operators as they had to pay VAT and the council did'nt. The council don't get the extra charge, the taxman does.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What the chap above said.

There are normally alternatives to the council service, give them a try. Eventually I can see the councils getting out of the rubbish collection business and outsourcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I think it's only right and fair that the private contractors should be playing off the same level playing field as the councils. However I would have preferred VAT on refuse collection to be scrapped for the private contractors rather than the council having it added on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I can see a lot of litter been dump on the side of the roads from people who just can not pay this week in week out.

This "dumped" litter that I see strewn around the roads after the feral cats and foxes have ripped the bags open consists of at least 90% of totally recyclable materials - it's just the mentality of these people - they don't give a feic about anything except their beer and fags.

Chinasea wrote: »
    This "dumped" litter that I see strewn around the roads after the feral cats and foxes have ripped the bags open consists of at least 90% of totally recyclable materials - it's just the mentality of these people - they don't give a feic about anything except their beer and fags.
    Agreed. There are people who wouldn't put their rubbish in a bin if you led them to it. Plenty of bins round my area, yet the green still looks like a tip first thing in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

gerard65 wrote: »
    VAT is now been charged from the 1st Aug. This was brought about by a court case taken by the private operators as they had to pay VAT and the council did'nt. The council don't get the extra charge, the taxman does.:rolleyes:

€8 + €1.68 (21% vat) = €9.68 not €10.50

Going by this link if it was only an increase for VAT it should have been 13.5% (€1.08) and not 31% (€2.48).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxpayers-face-a-raft-of-new-local-authority-vat-increases-2055684.html

Also remember now that we are paying VAT on our bins, the tax relief on service charges is to be abolished, though this will not come into effect until 2012.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0204/budget2010.html

manc wrote: »
    €8 + €1.68 (21% vat) = €9.68 not €10.50 or is there a 31% (€2.48) vat rate for rubbish
    My dear fellow, things get rounded up in this country. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Can you request a smaller bin, which costs only €6.00 per lift?

Anyhow, we should all email our Councillors and protest in the strongest terms. They are listed here:
    http://corporateservices.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Itemid=109

Also, meetings of your Local Area Committees are open to the public. The calendar of meetings is here:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=15

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

My dear fellow, things get rounded up in this country. :)

...or maybe they mixed up the digits, i.e. increased by 31% instead of 13% :D

Advertisement