Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Northwest Wind going to go?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭

For most of July and August (so far) there has been a Northwest Wind blowing down over Ireland. This has been bringing persistant rain and showers to the North and West in particular and a lot of cool daytime temperatures. Whilst it has not been as poor as the last couple of Summers the frustration of a wind direction from a cool source has resulted in cloudy and dull condtions most especially in the North and West. The South and Southeast have fared best.

A reason for this Airflow is that the Azores High has been reluctant to move over Ireland and the UK. It has stayed positioned th our Southwest resulting infronts sliding down the right hand side of it from, yes youve guess it, the Northwest.

Another question that one would have to ask is this: Is this year unprecidented for the amount of UNprevailing wind. Isnt our wind meant to be from the Southwest? The Winter also brought about a long period of North or Northwesterly winds and Some Northeasters. However in 2010 the old reliable Southwesterly is not getting a look in.

Fellow Boardies. I ask ye. What are yer views on this:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Good riddance to the SWly I say, and if we could get rid of all Wly based winds I'd be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

for meath it's been a real bummer of a summer,was nice early in the year but we have been stuck under a veil of cloud for weeks now,it's really annoying rain or shower's nearly every day and has been feeling cool in the NW,worst thing is that MT is forecasting a mild damp winter to follow.
    if only we got some SE to finish off the summer to cheer us all up before the winter set in.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I just want the wind to feck off for a while. Has seemed very breezy this summer in my part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Weather's been pretty nice in Cork the last 2 weeks - lots of sun. Cold wind today though.

Advertisement