Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine repair - who pays?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xiney wrote: »
    No, you misread. The repairman said the wire would eventually break into pieces and come out.

Ah I see; badly worded was that ;)

But it hasn't done so. And clearly is not going to do so. Which puts the back back fair and square in the landlord's court surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Well I didn't think I was going to spark such a debate with the question!

Out of curiosity I just checked the care label on another underwired bra - the same as the one that broke, they came in a pack of two. They can be machine washed and also go in the tumble dryer!

The first guy who came didn't charge the land lady, he just came and had a look on his lunch so never really had any intention of fixing it.

Opinion seems to be split with more leaning towards us paying - I'm not someone who has a problem with paying my bills or who trys to scam people into paying for things they shouldn't have to so I've no problem paying it, I just wanted to make sure we weren't doing ourselves out of the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Graces7 wrote: »
    And all this is the LAW accoring to whom?

Firstly i never mentioned the word LAW (in caps especially), chill out.

All i did was put into concise form each relevant section so that a clear image of what lay underneath.

Forget law this is not about law but getting the best possible outcome from the landlord.

Endgame is what you want, its not about who what where. Its about hedging your bets and compromise, especially if you know one of the housemates is to blame beneath it on.

Ps i actually have studied law (many years ago) under professional exams although that is not my profession.

Out of curiosity I just checked the care label on another underwired bra - the same as the one that broke, they came in a pack of two. They can be machine washed and also go in the tumble dryer!

The first guy who came didn't charge the land lady, he just came and had a look on his lunch so never really had any intention of fixing it.

Opinion seems to be split with more leaning towards us paying - I'm not someone who has a problem with paying my bills or who trys to scam people into paying for things they shouldn't have to so I've no problem paying it, I just wanted to make sure we weren't doing ourselves out of the money

Hi just a note, the bra may say machine washable but I'd say it also says on delicate cycle, was it in with normal wash or delicates?

Hi just a note, the bra may say machine washable but I'd say it also says on delicate cycle, was it in with normal wash or delicates?

Delicates - I do know how to do laundry :)

• Advertisement

Delicates - I do know how to do laundry :)

Well that makes at least one of us ha ha :D

There is a special plastic ball you can get that you put your bras in that protects them - female hi-tech he he:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

when its fixed wear no more bra's. No more breakdowns :D

Firstly i never mentioned the word LAW (in caps especially), chill out.

All i did was put into concise form each relevant section so that a clear image of what lay underneath.

Forget law this is not about law but getting the best possible outcome from the landlord.

Endgame is what you want, its not about who what where. Its about hedging your bets and compromise, especially if you know one of the housemates is to blame beneath it on.

Ps i actually have studied law (many years ago) under professional exams although that is not my profession.

OK; only your post was couched in such .. "l amateur legalese.."

Perfectly cool here thank you; but yes it is a matter otf tenancy law. Your last sentence says it all; barrack room lawyers!

Your penultimate para is of course nonsense; thankfully the Tenancy Act of 2004 is the authority here.

Much simpler than all these..... games

You would be doing yourselves out of the money... ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK; only your post was couched in such .. "l amateur legalese.."

Perfectly cool here thank you; but yes it is a matter otf tenancy law. Your last sentence says it all; barrack room lawyers!

Your penultimate para is of course nonsense; thankfully the Tenancy Act of 2004 is the authority here.

Much simpler than all these..... games

The RTA 2004 doesnt cover this debate its completly irrelevent. Nobody here once said a tennant should pay for normal wear and tear.

the debate is weather the wire coming out of a bra and causing the damage is normal wear and tear or not. Now you think you have all the answers but the fact is you dont.

now perhaps you might remove your distain of landlords out of the discussion and post a reasoned response like everybody else in the thread. Oh by the way you have shown a complete lack of tennancy knowledge in this thread when you suggested billing the landlord which again theres no provision for in the RTA 2004.

after all as you say its the authority here ..... sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

As you can wash the bra in the washing machine it is NOT the op fault and is up to the landlord to sort out.

Any item of clothes can get caught in washer eg my brothers washing machine sucked in a pair of boxers got stuck and broke his washing machine does that mean no one should wash boxers in a washineing machine just in case !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As you can wash the bra in the washing machine it is NOT the op fault and is up to the landlord to sort out.

Any item of clothes can get caught in washer eg my brothers washing machine sucked in a pair of boxers got stuck and broke his washing machine does that mean no one should wash boxers in a washineing machine just in case !!!!!!!!!

In this case, the machine would be defective, as the boxers should not be able to get into the mechanism.

In the bra case, the bra is the culprit, as it should have the wire enclosed, and unable to come loose during a washing cycle. If anything, the bra manufacturer could be liable for the bill (depending on the age of the bra).

Thank you everybody for all the opinions - in the end we paid it ourselves. It was a quicker way of doing it and to be honest at the moment it feels like the best 110 euro I ever spent - I never thought being able to do several loads of washing on a Saturday night would make me so happy - it was such a huge pain not to have it, am delighted :)

D3PO wrote: »
    The RTA 2004 doesnt cover this debate its completly irrelevent. Nobody here once said a tennant should pay for normal wear and tear.

the debate is weather the wire coming out of a bra and causing the damage is normal wear and tear or not. Now you think you have all the answers but the fact is you dont.

now perhaps you might remove your distain of landlords out of the discussion and post a reasoned response like everybody else in the thread. Oh by the way you have shown a complete lack of tennancy knowledge in this thread when you suggested billing the landlord which again theres no provision for in the RTA 2004.

after all as you say its the authority here ..... sigh

Amazing response this. Did hit a sore point? Reasoned it is not. Attack it is. If a landlord does not do repairs, the tenant is entitled to get them done and send the bill to him.

distain? new word? Ah well.... OP; glad it is sorted but not many have a spare E110.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Calm down guys.
    Graces7- if you want to offer advice such as you have offered- please specify where you are getting your information from, so the OP or others may follow up on it.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

"There is a special plastic ball you can get that you put your bras in that protects them - female hi-tech he he"
    kennethsmyth is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

where can this plastic ball be purchased?? that delicate items can be put in, presumably some kind of plastic mesh so that water and detergent can get to the items.

Advertisement