Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification on Btea + Grants

Options
  • 12-08-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of different ideas on people recieving grants and btea together this year.
    Even welfare staff and local authority people are confused with the new rules in place this year so I decided to post a thread to clear it up.

The way it stands for people starting first year in the coming weeks is,
    If you are getting btea you are not entitiled to a local authority grant even if you ae under the threshold, however, you can apply direct to the nice local authority folks and if you are under the threshold (€50k approx) you should be able to get your reg fee paid direct to the college.

This will more than likely paid by you to the college in Sept, then paid to the college by the council again, then refunded to you by the college, a lot of messing about but the council wont give us the reg fee direct as they have no guarantee that the money will actually go on the reg fee.

Anybody out there on btea under the impression that's all you are entitled to should apply for the grant too as it may save you paying an extra €1500, apllications have to be in by end of August btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just another point if you are in say second year and you were receiving BTEA and a grant this will continue

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

This page is particularly good for people on social welfare, one parent familes or disabilities allowance recipients - it explains everything really clearly and gives a few problem scenarios and answers

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9530/support-for-those-on-social-welfare-or-btea/index.html

Advertisement