Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on RAM & GPU

Options
  • 12-08-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Need your advice guys,

Motherboard: GA-880GM-UDH2
    Processor: AMD Phenom IIx2 555BE

will need a good 4gb ram and a gpu on the 5770 side
    i have all the other components
    will be used for gaming photo editing
    budget between 200ish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

This is the memory compatibility list for your mainboard.
    A GSkill / GSkill-ECO / OCZ Gold LowVoltage Kit should do just fine.
    Since that's about 80€, there's not much room left for the 5770 (Powercolor PCS+ and MSI Hawk are popular choices here). My bet is on 1024MB VRAM nonetheless.
    What resolution do you play on?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zeromemory

thanks for the reply

which will i choose CL9 or CL8
    with my monitor i currently game at 1280x1024. Will buying a nvidia chipset conflict with my motherboard.

I can extend my budget to 250.00 so i can have more room to select a 5770. Any specific recommendation for GPU

zeromemory wrote: »
    which will i choose CL9 or CL8
    The cheaper one.
    zeromemory wrote: »
    with my monitor i currently game at 1280x1024. Will buying a nvidia chipset conflict with my motherboard.

Your board has an AMD chipset; do you mean buying an nvidia GPU? No problems there, anyway.
    1280x1024 doesn't need that much power, do you plan buying a bigger screen in the near future?
    The 5770s refence design is good, so no special recommendations here, except for the MSI 5770 Hawk and the Powercolor 5770 PCS+ being popular choices for having really quiet fans.

Will there be a big difference if i choose the 1600mhz over the 1333mhz?
    If there will be no conflicts with a Nvidia GPU i might as well get the GTX460 if the price goes down...

and thanks for the advice and suggestion.

The difference between 1600->1333 is as thin as the difference between CL7->CL8->CL9, it can be measured, but hardly noticed since in games it will give you 1-2% more FPS or so (if at all).
    And no, no conflicts with the GPU<->Mainboard.

Hint: By the way, I don't know if you knew it already, but your Board supports ACC, so you could try unlocking 2 extra cores in the BIOS. The PIIX2 are based on the PIIX4 and many of them have 4 intact cores in them. No guarantee it will work flawlessly or work at all, but at least worth a mention :)

• Advertisement

Tnx Chuck. Evrything on order and waiting to arrive...

Advertisement