Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hey im moving to galway in a months time, got a new job in security on eyre square. Its night work so i start work late and finish around 8am. Where would be walking distance from town i.e. 10-15 mins?

Looking on daft bohermore area? tuam rd?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

shantalla,claddagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

bohermore, college rd would be very handy. Tuam Rd (as in further out than Travelodge) might be too far for walking it. Maybe if you got a bike though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You'll be working when the noisy f****r are around, so you could even try the inner city: lots of building have apartments on top of 'em, and the city isn't so loud during the day. (Keep away from Shop/High/Quay Sts though, people with drums can appear anytime day or night.)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

St Patrick's Avenue :)

Easiest I think is to sit down with the paper or daft and a map (or Googlemaps) and figure out where each house is. It'll help you get to know the town better too.
    Anywhere within this area is easy 10 min walk
    galwaymap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Thanks for your help guys, ill be sleeping during the day so somewhere relatively quiet would suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I was in Woodquay and the noise during the day was bad. I moved down to the Bohermore road and it is great. I rent a 2 bedroom flat which suits me and quiet. I do night work so it had to be quiet

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

This info is excellent!

I'm planning on moving to Galway next summer (yeah I know planning a bit early but I like to have all the possible info going :D) so I shall have to check out all these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

The docks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

The docks?

The docks can be pretty noisy to be honest (does that big ship dropping off/picking up scrap metal still come around? Maybe Dun Aengus would be alright, but if you're on the long walk that area would be noisy with spanish arch so close, and I lived in Ce Na Mara for a year - the flats aren't well soundproofed, balconies very close togather and you have boy racers speeding up Lough Italia road and screeching around the docks at night all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

anywhere along college road would also be perfect...maybe "The Green". Cill Ard on bothermore would also be relatively quite during the day time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Docks can be noisy.

I'd also go with Bohermore

Advertisement