Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best 20 pub songs for 18 to 28 year olds

Options
  • 12-08-2010 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi
    im a 50 year old one man band singing songs from simon and garfunkel to bruce springsteen to oasis. my problem is over the years my gig list has become outdated and i need to upgrade my act over the winter to cater for the 18 to 28 year age group. so im looking fo the top 20 definitive pub songs for that age group. ie songs they like to hear when they go to the pub to listen to live music.the voice is still good so ill give most things a go but please no lady gaga .lifes too short to go down that road.so give me your list of top 20 pub songs for 18 to 28 year old.
    at least then when i get the "sing one we all know" shout from the back i wont have to indulge in mental telepathy.
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

Billy Joel - We didn't start the fire. Everybody knows all the words in that.

Seriously, killers, artic monkeys, arcade fire, snow patrol, cold play, etc. Just buy a best of xfactor album and see all the popular songs that have been ripped apart. I'd love to see a seasoned male singers take on some of the latest hits from Beyonce and co. Single ladies - do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 planxty1014

OH OH OW OH OH OW.............JESUS. as long as i dident have to dance or wear the leotard. not a pretty sight. thanks for the reply and the band suggestions and the album advice. actual song titles would be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Nine Inch Nails - Closer. You must add this to your setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

maybe ....
    • Greenday - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
    • The Killlers - Mr Brightside
    • The Fray - How To Save A Life
    • Alot of Kings Of Leon - Fans, On Call are just two.
    • Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (maybe abit depressing, but everyone knows and loves it)
    Maybe some Two Door Cinema Club - not everyone knows them, but they are on the way up!..and have some good songs in my opinion!!

Can't go too wrong with what 'pokingiris' said either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I know it might sound dull but they played Kenny rogers "know when to holdem" in our local last week and the whole place errupted (18-40's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Ricardo G wrote: »
    I know it might sound dull but they played Kenny rogers "know when to holdem" in our local last week and the whole place errupted (18-40's)

ya put down ''the gambler'' too, everyone loves that one

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It really depends on where you're based. I find that when I'm down the country somewhere people are more likely to know some of those older songs. You could throw on some Garth Brooks, or John Denver or Kenny Rogers or whatever and everyone would know them.
    When I'm out in Dublin people tend to only know the new chart kind of songs. I don't know if it's the same in all citys but yeah, know your audience kind of thing :)

Either way you can't go wrong with "Sex On Fire" by Kings Of Leon, and some of the earlier stuff by The Killers like "Mr. Brightside" or "Somebody Told Me" and Mundy's version of "Galway Girl" always goes down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It really depends on where you're based. I find that when I'm down the country somewhere people are more likely to know some of those older songs. You could throw on some Garth Brooks, or John Denver or Kenny Rogers or whatever and everyone would know them.
    When I'm out in Dublin people tend to only know the new chart kind of songs. I don't know if it's the same in all citys but yeah, know your audience kind of thing :)

Either way you can't go wrong with "Sex On Fire" by Kings Of Leon, and some of the earlier stuff by The Killers like "Mr. Brightside" or "Somebody Told Me" and Mundy's version of "Galway Girl" always goes down well.

Where exactly is down the country? Nashville?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Where exactly is down the country? Nashville?

Nashville is actually a rather big city, so no, I'm not talking about Nashville.

I mean "the country" as in not "the city" and as I said I have been out in Dublin quite a lot and can speak from experience there, I have not been out in any other Irish city so can't say if it's the same in every city. I thought it was pretty clear what I meant, apologies if it was unclear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

you have to think what every body wwants.if it for young people and kind of the older crowd you have to have a good mix, and if its for pub you dont to be playing nine inche nails , that wont go down , as much of a NIN fan as i am , you have to be realistic about things. just when your in any pubs, take a look if a some one is playing in the pub and look at what they are playing and look at the crowds reaction etc !!then you'l get a idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

NiN would be a big no-no from my experience, tbh.

Killers - Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me.
    Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man, The Cave.
    Mundy - July.
    Johnny Cash -Ring of Fire.
    Oasis - Wonderwall. Possibly Morning Glory as well.
    Train - Hey Soul Sister. Trust me.:P
    Journey - Don't Stop Believing. When they're drunk.;)
    Mundy - Galway Girl. I'm sick to the teeth of it, but a fair few aren't.

That's about as much as I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

here's one for everyone when they are gargled,it's a guaranteed sing along

"your drunk your drunk ya silly oul fool as drunk as they could be" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

OP id take your "outdated" collection any day over some of the muck that is mentioned here....but thats just me. :p

Mr jones by the Counting Crows is a definate crowd pleaser
    Anything by the Foo Fighters, Feeder, Muse, Pearl Jam, Chilli Peppers, or Smashing Pumpkins would be my recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian - club foot, fire

arctic monkeys - when the sun goes down, fluorescent adolescent

mumford and sons - the cave, little lion man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Please just don't use 'Don't Stop Believing' by Journey. Song is well too over played in these situations. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Oasis

Thats it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

OP, disregard everyone in this thread but me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Kold wrote: »
    OP, disregard everyone in this thread but me.

OP, don't listen to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

yes dont listen to kold

only his taste in music is the best !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fergywergy

billy joel--piano man

tracy chapman--fast car

don mclean--american pie

kings of leon--use somebody

johanny cash--folsom prison blues

crowded house/james blunt--fall at your feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 planxty1014

thanks for all the replys
    out of all the sets ive been gathering on the net a definitive subset is appearing.(i knew id get to use that maths terminology sometime. it just took me 30 odd years after my leaving cert to get it into a sentence)
    the killers -mr brightside
    kings of leon-anything
    michael buble-anything
    neil young-hes been rediscovered
    lady gaga-bad romance and poker face
    journey-dont stop believin
    bon jovi-livin on prayer and its my life
    i wanna take your mamma out tonite
    black eyed peas- tonites gonna be a good nite
    johnny cash-jackson
    my humps- i dont think so.........!

can ye all see the way in goin with this.how am i doin so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"Idioteque" by Radiohead.

Some sing-along tunes by Aphex Twin maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Ricardo G wrote: »

It must have been a Wrangler Jeans fest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

hi
    im a 50 year old one man band singing songs from simon and garfunkel to bruce springsteen to oasis. my problem is over the years my gig list has become outdated and i need to upgrade my act over the winter to cater for the 18 to 28 year age group. so im looking fo the top 20 definitive pub songs for that age group. ie songs they like to hear when they go to the pub to listen to live music.the voice is still good so ill give most things a go but please no lady gaga .lifes too short to go down that road.so give me your list of top 20 pub songs for 18 to 28 year old.
    at least then when i get the "sing one we all know" shout from the back i wont have to indulge in mental telepathy.
    thanks guys

You play S&G I'm 25 and would love to hear someone play them. Much rather them then any sh1te cover versions of "cooler" songs.

That list you have almost made me vomit. If someone played even one of them in a pub, I swear to God, I would leave

Not giving enough credit to us young folk. Where do you play?

Stick to what you know best

fergywergy wrote: »
    billy joel--piano man

tracy chapman--fast car

don mclean--american pie

kings of leon--use somebody

johanny cash--folsom prison blues

crowded house/james blunt--fall at your feet

Thats is one of the worst list of 5 songs I have ever seen.

kennethk wrote: »
    maybe ....
    • Greenday - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
    • The Killlers - Mr Brightside
    • The Fray - How To Save A Life
    • Alot of Kings Of Leon - Fans, On Call are just two.
    • Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (maybe abit depressing, but everyone knows and loves it)
    Maybe some Two Door Cinema Club - not everyone knows them, but they are on the way up!..and have some good songs in my opinion!!

Can't go too wrong with what 'pokingiris' said either!

O sweet Jesus

Completely disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

You could try an do an acoustic version of The Zutons/Amy Winehouse "Valerie". Very popular.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    kasabian - club foot, fire

arctic monkeys - when the sun goes down, fluorescent adolescent

mumford and sons - the cave, little lion man

Not a huge fan but would be well impressed if a 50 yearold man started rocking out with that.

All these songs are done in every 2 bit pub in the country by every 2 bit man and his guitar. Try and break the mold. Be adventurous

Maybe some XX
    some band of skulls maybe
    I liked the 2 door cinema club shout from another poster
    vampire weekend
    Mystery jets
    Macabees
    Klakons

If you started playing tunes like that, I'd come back evey week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement