Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am I having a miscarriage

• 12-08-2010 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I don't know if this the right thread for this question but here it goes. I'm 4 weeks pregnant and on Wednesday night and yesterday I had some brownish/redish discharge when i went to the toilet. i had a dull pain at the bottom of by back and generally felt funny all day (but not to the extent that i couldn't get on with things).
    I called the doctor and she said to wait and see and that sometimes women have this brownish discharge while pregnant and continue to give birth. Has this happened to anyone before? What should I do? any advice? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It could be an implantation bleed. You are very early on in the pregnancy and unfortunately the EPU in the hospital probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything because a heartbeat cannot be picked up until at least 7 weeks. If there has been no more bleeding since then there is every possibility that you are still pregnant.

Hoping you are ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

It definately sounds like an implantantion bleed to me. Brownish bleeding would suggest 'old' blood (bleeding that isn't happening at that time but residual blood from bleeding at another time)

Often when the embryo implants into the lining of the womb it will cause some cramping and some bleeding. Sometimes the bleeding will just be absorbed back into your body, other times it will escape and present at this brown discharge. All perfectly normal and it happened to me on my last pregnancy at 5+5 weeks.

If the bleeding becomes heavier (more period like) and bright red blood accompanied by heavy period like cramps, it is more than likely that the pregnancy is ending and this is when you should consult your early pregnancy unit.

You could go to your EPU now if you wanted reassurance, but as adrianne said, there will not be a fetal heartbeat present until at least 6.5-7 weeks. They will be able to tell you if you are miscarrying tho.

I hope it works out for you and that the bleeding stops. Try not to worry unnecessarily tho and do whatever you need to to get reassurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

When you say four weeks pregnant, do you mean four weeks since you got a positive pregnancy test, or you are four weeks along (ie, it's four weeks since your last period, you ovulated about two weeks ago, and just got a positive test a few days ago)?

I really think you should go in to the EPU at your maternity hospital. It is too early for a heartbeat but they can give you a blood test today and tomorrow that measures the amount of hCG (pregnany hormone) in your blood and will indicate if the pregnancy is progressing the way it should.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 murphymad

Thanks for your help, it's good to get advice from people as i'm totally in the dark here. some more discharge today but i generally feel better than yesterday. i think i'll wait and see till the weekend and then get in touch with my doc.
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 murphymad

Hi, OP here. There was some brownish discharge (not much) on friday and very little on saturday but none since. i feel fine and that dull pain in my back is gone. I'm 5 weeks now since conception and feeling queasy and my breasts are very tender. think i over reacted a bit but it's always great to get advice from you. i'll be back with more questions, please god, over the next months.
    thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Murphymad, so glad to hear things are okay for you! Had an early mc in May and my heart sank as I read your story but it sounds different to my symptoms. Best of luck with everything!!! :)

Advertisement