Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm NOT coasting but..

• 12-08-2010 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

..it looks like I am. My clutch pedal is very high, about 3 inches higher than brake/accelerator pedals, and I tend to leave my foot hovering over it when driving in slow traffic through town.

Will I fail my test for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

AFAIK your brake and clutch pedals should always be at the same level unless it's an oddball classic so something is wrong with one or the other I think. Best have it looked at ASAP.

The tester would be listening for the engine and not looking at the pedal anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Google tells me this is common with this car, I could get it adjusted but I'm used to it now and kind of want to get the test done with what I'm used to iykwim?

I have short legs and have the seat fully pushed forward so hopefully he won't be able to see!

Engine noise should be fine, so that's good to know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There should be no need to keep your foot hovering over the clutch, unless your very close to stopping. Normally you would keep it on the floor or on the ledge to the left of the clutch (if your car has one) and only lift it up when you are going to actually press the clutch.

It took me a while to get out of that habit as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

..it looks like I am. My clutch pedal is very high, about 3 inches higher than brake/accelerator pedals, and I tend to leave my foot hovering over it when driving in slow traffic through town.

Will I fail my test for it?

in slow moving traffic, ie, if your only doing a few kph, you might get away with it, say if your using the clutch to control the car, and your having to stop/move every few yards

other wise move your foot to the left totally away from the clutch so you can give your examineer no doubts, even when dropping through the gears and getting ready to stop, ie, coming towards a stop line, change down, move foot to the left, change down, move foot back to left etc etc.

;)

ps, thought you had passed already :confused:

Thanks Stewie, no this is my first time doing the test.

You know what it's like in town - stop/start every couple of metres, this is where I've got the habit from.

I'll try to beat it out of myself over the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If it really is stop/start every few meters and you are slowing moving along in 1st gear then keeping your foot on or close to the clutch is OK (this is clutch control rather than coasting!).

However, if you are travelling along in 2nd gear then you should be away from the clutch altogether. Find a quiet road and get the car into second and then come off the clutch and accelerator completely, the car should happily drive along (slowly) without stalling under its own power. This should give you the confidence that you dont need the clutch in order to drive in slow, but continuously, moving traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thanks Stewie, no this is my first time doing the test.

You know what it's like in town - stop/start every couple of metres, this is where I've got the habit from.

I'll try to beat it out of myself over the next week.

ah yesh, i do indeed, thats why i try to avoid it, any particular days i should stay out

;)

only messin, best of luck with it, have you been having any private lessons, whens your test, have one or two lessons or a pretest if not done so already just to iron out any bad habbits developed

:)

Thanks for the advice lads. I'm going to have to work on it.

Stewie - stay out of town on Monday! No I haven't had a pre-test, can't afford it tbh. I was booked in for the test a few weeks ago but they cancelled it the day before - aarrggghh. I think it's a ploy to make me more nervous! :pac:

Advertisement