Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tegral slates

Options
  • 12-08-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi I put Tegral thru tone slates on my roof 6years ago . They have all Now got a band of lighter colouring all around the slate. I contacted Tegral who sent out the rep (who was a lovely guy )
    The outcome was they call it Window Payning !!!!!!! A form of algae, Totally natural.
    Now when I bought these slates I bought them BECAUSE Tegral Sells them as the slate with a ten year colour guarantee . The reps advice is USE A BABY WIPE AND SEE IT COME OFF OR JUST LEAVE IT BE !!
    Can anyone help with this ?????????????????

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But they didn't discolour, something grew on them which is a very different issue
    I don't see how they are at fault to be honest

Did you read the guarantee on their website - http://www.tegralbuildingproducts.com/index.php?page=slates-and-tiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you tired cleaning them? If it's some sort of dirt that can just be washed off then I can't see how it's anything to do with the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

But they didn't discolour, something grew on them which is a very different issue

This is what I was thinking myself.

We have Tegral slates on our house which were fitted almost 3 years ago, although I've no idea which version of slate they are. The bottom edge turns a greyish/white colour but it's only really evident during very bright and dry weather when the sun is hitting the slates at a particular angle.

You wouldn't notice the light edges at all on an overcast or wet day... or even if the sun isn't hitting them directly.

I took a look around at other houses in the area and it seems to be quite common.

Not sure where you stand on this to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cromabu

OK GUYS!!
    just putting it out there that they dont stay thru to original and an algae can and does grow on them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

OK GUYS!!
    just putting it out there that they dont stay thru to original and an algae can and does grow on them !!

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mother Nature's a bitch sometimes, and impossible to sue when a situation like this arises, because no-one knows where she lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cromabu wrote: »
    OK GUYS!!

But, have the tiles actually changed, or is there just something growing on them? Unless the company is selling some sort of anti-algae coating, then it's nothing to do with them. If the tiles themselves have lost colour, then it is up to the company that sold them to fix it. Otherwise you need to clean your roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

cromabu wrote: »
    OK GUYS!!

Jesus ... better get a refund on my boat .. all sorts of crap growing on the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Many years ago Tegral has exactly the same problem withalmost ALL slates sold. Led to major problems for them . I thought this was a all sorted. Get legal advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

. Get legal advise

Its a mold / algae - a totally natural occuring growth that has been particularly prevalent this year due to the higher than average sunshine combined with moist conditions.

Maybe sue god or el nino or possibly the met office?

A quick google will see that it is easy to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Many years ago Tegral has exactly the same problem withalmost ALL slates sold. Led to major problems for them . I thought this was a all sorted. Get legal advise

No they didn't. The problem they had in the past was Colour fading, Warping, Leaks and generally being sh1t.

The OP's problem is none of the above. The OP's problem is simple Algae or mould growing on them which is easy to remove and is not the same damage compared to the problems I laid out above. There is no such thing as a slate that can 100% defeat the effects of nature.

Advertisement