Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LA and San Diego

• 12-08-2010 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

will have about 2 days in each city in late sept
    any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

nothing at all worth doing there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

conno16 wrote: »
    nothing at all worth doing there?

Hiya - i'm going to LA and San Diego too in early/mid-september. We're spending 2 nights in San Diego and plan on going to San Diego zoo which is in Balboa Park very near downtown San Diego - meant to be amazing!

As regards LA - maybe look into doing some of the studio tours. We're going to do Universal and Warners Bros as they seem like the most exciting/interesting, hollywood stars homes tour, all the typical touristy things like the walk of fame, chinese theater etc. You won't need much time to do all this i would say.

Also for San Diego - check out some of their beaches!

Hope this helps:)

thanks there
    sitting in a bus looking at some dudes house is not really for me
    all your other suggestions are worth looking in to though
    thanks
    if you come across any other bits and pieces let me know
    are you planning in staying quite close to san diego or getting set up in one of the local beach towns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

In LA theres the Griffith Observatory, The Getty Centre, Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, Hollywood, Hollywood Bowl (might be a gig on when you're there), Amoeba Music (biggest record store in the universe) etc.

San Diego, head north for the beaches (easy enough to get a bus from downtown), also the museum park. On the waterfront downtown theres a cool aircraft carrier that you can tour. Nightlife is pretty good there too. You could also hop across the border to Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

conno16 wrote: »
    thanks there
    sitting in a bus looking at some dudes house is not really for me
    all your other suggestions are worth looking in to though
    thanks
    if you come across any other bits and pieces let me know
    are you planning in staying quite close to san diego or getting set up in one of the local beach towns?

No problem - i'm guessing now from your username that you're male so perhaps stars homes wouldn't be as exciting for you as it is for me (female!).

What the other poster suggested there sounds great too!

We're staying in downtown San Diego in Courtyard by Marriott hotel (got good enough deal there). Hope to get out to some beaches in the time we're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would highly recommend SeaWorld for a day in San Diego. Also, look into taking a Hornblower cruise, they're only about 2 hours long but really interesting.

It really depends on what kind of holidayer you are. Are you looking for historical/cultural places and events? Or partying? Or relaxation?

I'd drop by La Jolla Cove and check out the beach there too.

I'd be very very wary about crossing the border to Mexico. It's not as safe as it used to be and currently you can be waiting 4 hours + to cross the border back to the US which is a lot of time if you only have 2 days.

You can't go to LA without seeing Hollywood, even just to drive through it.

I would highly recommend Universal Studios however that takes a whole day. If you want something smaller and interesting to see, head over to Venice Beach and walk along the boardwalk. There's always interesting things to see there.

thanks good suggestions there

i was hoping to get a good mix of culture, sporting events, entertainment and generally just checking the place out over the course of the few days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Downtown in LA is a total kip and there is practically no white people there, parts of it are very dodgy afterdark. Don't go near Skid row (officially Central City East) and it is like going through a Brazilian favela or some part of Baghdad.

Venice is nice and Santa Monica also, Los Angeles is a HUGE city and has quite poor public transport, for such a small amount of time you will only frustrate yourself there, I spent three days out of five in the US there last month and eventually bailed out over to Vegas for the other two. San Diego is much nicer I am led to beleive (although have no been there myself but my friends have!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Can only speak for San Diego and most of what I would say has already been said.

La Jolla is a lovely spot
    The 3 beachs, cool old roller-coaster on one of them Think its mission beach.
    Sea world
    Zoo

Bit of a trek but
    Torrey Pines
    The desert, we drove through and came back via a small town called Julian and OMG they do a mean apple pie.

There is other things to do but our timing was a bit off due to 9/11. So we didnt get to go to mexico, the naval fleet legged it out of dock...etc

Advertisement