Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cisco router

Options
  • 12-08-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I need to decide on a Cisco router, but I don't know which one to go for, so if anyone has any suggestions.. I'm all ears

Requirements

- Support 4 E1 links
    - Support 2 Gig Eth dark fibre connections
    - Be able to run IPSEC over the Gig Eth fibre connections
    - Provide up to 8 Gig ethernet connections for connections to switches

Cost isn't really an issue. I'd prefer to go for something that comfortably meets these requirements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I'd say your looking at an ASR1002 modular router if you need an all in one router for the job. There are various ways to fit it out depending on your actual usage so you can oversubscribe the GE ports with the cheaper services processor if you needed.

Depending on your traffic patterns you might make do with a bigger layer 3 switch for all the basic routing across your LAN and a much cheaper router to handle the IPSec and E1 termination.

It could end up significantly less expensive. (Really depends on the amount of traffic leaving the LAN and the amount of IPSec traffic you will be using). I'm assuming the E1's are used for data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If your buying it, why not just hit the top 5 networking resellers in Ireland and see what they come back with?

Make them do the work

Advertisement