Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

NetBeans IDE is also available from Sun/Oracle and supports C/C++ as well as Java, Ruby, Python and a host of others. You will need a separate compiler for C/C++, but something like Cygwin works fairly well with it.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

sombaht wrote: »
    NetBeans IDE is also available from Sun/Oracle and supports C/C++ as well as Java, Ruby, Python and a host of others. You will need a separate compiler for C/C++, but something like Cygwin works fairly well with it.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Dear Gawd!!!! NetBeans.... :eek: well to be honest, cygwin is horrible, you will get a better chance by using Mingw as their compiler tool, and also, you can cross compile binaries targetting Mingw from Linux.... w00t w00+

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

eclipse is popular with java developers but it will work just as well with c++

but if I were just learning I think I'd keep it simple and use something like jedit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

VS2010 is great if you can get your hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Dear Gawd!!!! NetBeans.... :eek: well to be honest, cygwin is horrible, you will get a better chance by using Mingw as their compiler tool, and also, you can cross compile binaries targetting Mingw from Linux.... w00t w00+

Well if you are developing in multiple languages, NetBeans is handy, one IDE for several languages. Cygwin doesn't have to be the compiler of choice, it can work just as well with any of the GNU compilers and GNU make. Plenty of choices out there.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Shenlok

+1 for VS2010, if you don't have access to the full version you can get the C++ Express edition for free on the VS website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

sombaht wrote: »
    Well if you are developing in multiple languages, NetBeans is handy, one IDE for several languages. Cygwin doesn't have to be the compiler of choice, it can work just as well with any of the GNU compilers and GNU make. Plenty of choices out there.

Indeed. And NetBeans is a stable product built by engineers. I wouldn't be so dismissive. Eclipse is a bit of a frankenstein of a beast (e.g. Window->preferences? Help->Add New Software Sources?) and in my experience, is slow and buggy.

I prefer to use vim as much as possible, but I have recently had to use Java and find that an IDE is a must for Java. I use Eclipse, but I'd prefer something more light-weight and less buggy. Also, the plug-in interface is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Starting with Eclipse is a bit like beginning to learn how to ride a bike by hand assembling a delicate antique motorcycle.

It is very confusing and it does not assist at all in understanding the basics of programming which is what is really required. Any editor that offers basic colors and debugging will suffice. Code::Blocks is good, VS is also good (but is also a very big and complex product).

Overall I would never recommend C++ as a starting language. It is very complex and punishing to beginners who will have to understand datatypes and pointers and manage these before being able to write anything even remotely useful. This can be daunting.

Python however I find can demonstrate the programming concepts so that understanding is created before worrying about low level nitty gritty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

satchmo wrote: »
    Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++, agrees that starting with C is a bad idea.

I reckon the op should start with C, because procedural Algorithmic concepts are a good start for learning without throwing object orientation and associated concepts/ideas into
    the mix. Not that C++ forces you to conform to OO like Java, but C is a much smaller beast to master than C++. C++ is great, but you should have a strong justification for learning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

satchmo wrote: »
    I agree, learning C before C++ will only get you learning bad habits. Go straight to C++ - you should get your head wrapped around object oriented programming relatively early.

I always recommend the tutorial at cplusplus.com, it's easy to follow, well structured, and covers the basics well. I don't see any point in buying a 60 quid book when there are so many tutorials out there on the web for free.

What bad habits? You can't really compare them, because they are not even in the same league so to speak. C is still one of the best tools for systems programming/device drivers. Object Orientation is not the solution for everything. Apples with Oranges here I am afraid. Pick one which fits your needs. Each have their good and bad points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I guess things like using malloc/free instead of new/delete, printf/scanf instead of cout/cin.

Anyways, if you want to learn C++ and have a good understanding of programming, give Accelerated C++ a go. It starts with C++ straight from the start. It uses STL straight from the beginning as well. It explains it further on more and more.

I personally didn't see a problem learning C before C++. But everyone is different I guess.

Advertisement