Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a we cycle...help needed...

• 12-08-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

hi guys,

i am heading to dublin this weekend and i want to go on a spin...

want to go up the famous howth hil from the bull island side, i presume this is the most difficult accent??

starting and finishing in santry beside the omniplex..

whats the best route!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Hey Jimbo,

What time are you planning to set off at, am sure you'd find a few here that wouldn't mind tagging along, a practise run for the TT on Tuesday.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

dont know if it will be saturday or sunday yet, need to see what the missus says she has lined up but i said im going out one of the days defo!!

is it better to go from bull island side or the other way!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

One route would be:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3954848

If you want it a bit steeper, turn left of Carrickbrack Road onto Old Carrickbrack Road and follow Windgate Road and Balkill Road to rejoin the route in Howth Village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I don't know the best way to get to Howth from Santry with with regards to the hill itself...

If you go clockwise around the hill you have a constant climb which starts off very steep out of the village and then eases off. Counterclockwise you have a much longer climb which is never as steep as the other direction but is a lot longer and since there are some minor descending sections also involves more actual metres of climbing.

If you're up for it I'd recommend going counterclockwise (long drag to the top and a steep descent to the village) and then turn around and go back the way you came (tough climb out of the village followed by a nice long descent with a couple of spots where you can do a bit of work to keep your speed up if you want). Ice cream and/or cake in the village between the two is optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I prefer to go anti-clockwise, which is the route I posted. I suppose that is going up the Bull Island side, with Dublin Bay on your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

i like the look of the route alrite, but i also like the sound of up one side then up the other, i think probably go at it from bull island side, i like the long ones, even though im not much cop on them!!

ill probably know tomorrow when ill be going ill let you all know sure and we'll see..

Advertisement