Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Arsenal match thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Jazzy wrote: »
    you are incorrect

sure thing andy gray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

yes we deserved a draw cause we played well enough for it simple as

You deserved a draw because you got a draw and Liverpool were not exactly in top form,Arsenal did not play well at all, extremely lackluster performance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Arsenal look better then anyone apart from utd and Chelsea
    we played ok not great plus we had Van persie on the bench, Fabergas not playing, song on the bench and Bertender missing. We will play better and once he buys in another GK and CB we be fine

I would say Spurs looked far better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Imagine keeping your captain despite him wanting to leave for Barca.

Have a think about that and come back to me.....

Wasn't Gerard on his way to Chelsea during the 2006 World Cup?....if we hold on to Fabregas for 4 more years AND win nothing....get back to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He was asked the question, he didn't see it, what do you want him to say? Do you ever watch other managers being interviewed??

I don't want him to say anything. I don't care what he has to say. He says things to protect his players and rightly so.

The only thing to be taken from today's game is that both Liverpool and Arsenal haven't hit the ground running like Chelsea & Blackpool!! :D

its the first game of a long season and liverpool away is tough
    a point isn;t something at

You deserved a draw because you got a draw and Liverpool were not exactly in top form,Arsenal did not play well at all, extremely lackluster performance.

we did deserve it both teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

L'prof wrote: »
    I could care less what you think to be honest.

In my honest opinion, neither team deserved all 3 points. Arsenal were missing an awful lot today, either through World Cup fatigue or injury, yet still looked dangerous enough at times. Liverpool looked dangerous once really and scored.

You 'could' care less? Are you an American in Galway?? Odd phrase to use...

Arsenal never looked dangerous, I don't know where you're getting that from. Liverpool mopped up any danger Arsenal had today. The one chance from Rosicky that was superbly saved was the closest Arsenal got to scoring themselves.

Liverpool looked more threatening than Arsenal, but were willing to let Arsenal pass the ball around a little too much for my liking. Though Arsenal couldn't do anything with it.

Arsenal were extremely lucky to get a draw, Liverpool were ripped off from 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

DB10 wrote: »
    Ironic what happened Reina after his behaviour with the Barcelona jersey and Fabregas.

Good for him.

You do know what ironic means right ? Your use of it in this sentence makes no sense.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

I'm just glad that no one told Arsenal they were allowed to shoot

You obviously didn't see the Spurs game then.

Arsenal never looked dangerous, I don't know where you're getting that from. Liverpool mopped up any danger Arsenal had today. The one chance from Rosicky that was superbly saved was the closest Arsenal got to scoring themselves.

Liverpool looked more threatening than Arsenal, but were willing to let Arsenal pass the ball around a little too much for my liking. Though Arsenal couldn't do anything with it.

Arsenal were extremely lucky to get a draw, Liverpool were ripped off from 3 points.

are you a arsenal fan gunner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He was asked the question, he didn't see it, what do you want him to say? Do you ever watch other managers being interviewed??

in fairness, i do often wonder what arsene wenger does see :)
    his reputation for 'not seeing' things isnt undeserved. remember that game (forget who it was against) where they had an interview with wenger after about a pretty blatent incident and they had a big 42" telly to show arsene exactly what happened? was on setanta. arsene was just sorta smiling and laughing and brushed it off by saying how there was a foul before hand so it must have been irrelevent
    dont be ashamed now, most managers do the exact same

You obviously didn't see the Spurs game then.

i saw it, they played at home and did well agaisn't a team who haven't settled cause they bought so many players.

i wouldn't worry too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The only thing to be taken from today's game is that both Liverpool and Arsenal haven't hit the ground running like Chelsea & Blackpool!! :D

Then again Liverpool and Arsenal had to play against Liverpool and Arsenal, not an atrocious Wigan & West Brom.
    are you a arsenal fan gunner?

Nope. The name has nothing to do with Football :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sure thing andy gray

yes. sure thing. it is harder to play against 11 men then it is against 10. if you think otherwise you are wrong. its really basic maths.
    teams with 10 men instead of 11 have far more space to cover and are under pressure far more then the team with 10

actually no, im not going to really bother explaining as it would be an insult to the intellegence of the forum to have to go into detail about it

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

spockety wrote: »
    Arsenal were there for the taking. If Liverpool want to realistically challenge for the league they are going to have to put away teams like that.

Not happy with the draw.

Yeah but if 4th place is the target it might do. Why do Liverpool have to challenge for the league? Based on last year 4th or 3rd must be the limit of expectation.

Liverpool looked ok but the same flaws from last year remain. They were well organised when they went down to 10 but the Cole red card was just too much of a mountain to climb. I think the ball possession stat was 63% to 37% at one stage. If a team has that much ball then a freak goal is always on the cards. Still Liverpool can feel hard done by.

Arsenal were poor but I'm sure a few more matches under their belt will help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

in fairness, i do often wonder what arsene wenger does see :)
    his reputation for 'not seeing' things isnt undeserved. remember that game (forget who it was against) where they had an interview with wenger after about a pretty blatent incident and they had a big 42" telly to show arsene exactly what happened? was on setanta. arsene was just sorta smiling and laughing and brushed it off by saying how there was a foul before hand so it must have been irrelevent
    dont be ashamed now, most managers do the exact same

Indeed they do and at least he gives interviews no matter what, unlike some ;)

i saw it, they played at home and did well agaisn't a team who haven't settled cause they bought so many players.

i wouldn't worry too much

Whatever about Man City players not being settled, Spurs dominated so called world class players and should of won.
    Spurs looked very sharp and impressive, they should be a real threat again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Are you an English teacher? I could care less what you think is an odd phrase to use too! Jesus Christ, we're on the football forum here and you want to make a point of how I phrase a sentence, get a grip man. Oh no, I said "man". Will I be accused of being English and living in Galway now too, or is that still American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

yes. sure thing. it is harder to play against 11 men then it is against 10. if you think otherwise you are wrong. its really basic maths.
    teams with 10 men instead of 11 have far more space to cover and are under pressure far more then the team with 10

actually no, im not going to really bother explaining as it would be an insult to the intellegence of the forum to have to go into detail about it

It depends, I'd rather play 11 v 11 then be Arsenal and play against 10 players all playing very defensively, sitting behind the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Are you an English teacher? I could care less what you think is an odd phrase to use too! Jesus Christ, we're on the football forum here and you want to make a point of how I phrase a sentence, get a grip man. Oh no, I said "man". Will I be accused of being English and living in Galway now too, or is that still American?
    Chill out 'dude'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jesus Reina must still be drunk after the Summer, he totally lost the plot towards the end of that match!:pac:

Aidric wrote: »
    Chill out 'dude'.

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus Reina must still be drunk after the Summer, he totally lost the plot towards the end of that match!:pac:

Gutted for him, had an outstanding game otherwise.

flahavaj wrote: »

Up Tipp!! :cool:
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Whatever about Man City players not being settled, Spurs dominated so called world class players and should of won.
    Spurs looked very sharp and impressive, they should be a real threat again this year.

Spurs have a very settled team who've made little changes, the majority of the players returned early from the world cup. A lot not even featuring in international games, not too long ago.

Spurs deserved to win but c'mon, are Blackpool better then Wigan? One game in with a few left to play.

City on form v Spurs on form? City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

we played ok not great plus we had Van persie on the bench, Fabergas not playing, song on the bench and Bertender missing. We will play better and once he buys in another GK and CB we be fine

Newsflash: United haven't played yet. :D

Nope.

Eh, the word is 'no'........................:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

:confused:

Arsenal didn't even look better than 10-man Liverpool.
    Didn't look as good as Spurs, looked similar standard to City and not as good as Blackpool or Villa - purely based on one game each.

I agree you'll be better when Fabregas is back and Van Persie is fully fit but that doesn't change the fact that it was a poor start, although a point is an ok result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I could care less what you think to be honest.

Dont quote me or fcuking ask me so.....

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Something's in the bee's bonnet today.

Wasn't Gerard on his way to Chelsea during the 2006 World Cup?....if we hold on to Fabregas for 4 more years AND win nothing....get back to us.

Fabregas will go to Barca. Sooner or later. You wont be able to hold on to him for 4 years.

Fabregas will go to Barca. Sooner or later. You wont be able to hold on to him for 4 years.

Yesterdays news.

Yesterday's news.

I could care less if its yesterdays news :D

I could care less if its yesterdays news :D

Toufúckíngché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

SeanKev wrote: »

City on form v Spurs on form? City.

City don't have form to go on....it's an almost brand new team.....unless pre-season counts as form......Spurs would still win.
    You came back 4 years early there Bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Looked like we were suffering a hangover from our Emirates Cup win :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

We (Liverpool) were well dodgy in the 1st half, I was terribly disappointed in that 45 minute display. However we stepped it up big time in the 2nd half and to be perfectly honest, Arsenal didn't deserve an equaliser.

The less said about the ref the better.

Mascherano gave it his all today and was terrific, he clearly showed what we'd be missing if he goes. I'd be terribly saddened to see him leave.

I was disappointed when Agger was basically haruanged back onto the pitch, the guy was clearly concussed. I don't care if it meant that we were down to 9 men, no-one should be forced to put their health on the line for a game of football.

And of course, no hard feelings towards Pepe, the bloke does enough for us. **** happens. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    We (Liverpool) were well dodgy in the 1st half, I was terribly disappointed in that 45 minute display. However we stepped it up big time in the 2nd half and to be perfectly honest, Arsenal didn't deserve an equaliser.

The less said about the ref the better.

Mascherano gave it his all today and was terrific, he clearly showed what we'd be missing if he goes. I'd be terribly saddened to see him leave.

I was disappointed when Agger was basically haruanged back onto the pitch, the guy was clearly concussed. I don't care if it meant that we were down to 9 men, no-one should be forced to put their health on the line for a game of football.

You should really read over your posts before comitting them.

So arsenal outplayed liverpool for the first 45 mins.

Liverpool stepped it up "big time" but were pinned into their on half for most of the second half after the goal

but arsneal didn't deserve anything.

Seriously :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

ntlbell wrote: »

Liverpool stepped it up "big time" but were pinned into their on half for most of the second half after the goal

We were bad in the 1st half, but I never suggested Arsenal were all over us. Maybe you should read over your posts before you begin one of your tirades. ;)

Why bother posting comments about games you clearly haven't seen? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Why bother posting comments about games you clearly haven't seen? :confused:

Why do you bother posting comments that add aboloutley nothing to the conversation?

Why do you bother posting comments that add aboloutley nothing to the conversation?

Just trying to fit in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

right, here's my take on the game.

i was so very disappointed with the 1st half. we initially started at a good tempo, but then Arsenal controlled the football, without doing an awful lot with it.

N'Gog was very poor i thought, with Cole not much better. we couldn't hold the ball up front at all, and paid for it. and with Gerrard unable to control a game, it lead to us seeing little of the ball. we still created as much as Arsenal in the half though.

(i qualify that Gerrard comment by saying he did some great, great things; picking out a couple of awesome passes, and defending extremely well. but his penchant for Hollywood passes is not condusive to controlling a game of football.)

Nasri, Diaby and Wilshere were very impressive in the half.

the sending off, IMO, was one of those where the rules of the game have f*cked things up slightly. it was a yellow card, really, but because he left his feet i suppose he gave the ref a reason to make the call he did. i was disappointed with Cole, as well as the official.

the second half was a weird one.

the goal was out of the blue and a wonderful hit. it also allowed us to play the sitting game even more than we were probably already going to.

even with 10 men, i thought we were marginally the better team. Arsenal kept the ball fine, but never really tested us until Rosicky had that shot tipped over when we were momentarily down to 9 men. N'Gog improved 10 fold, and Kuyt and Masch were excellent at what we all know they're good at. Skrtel also looked back to his old self of a year ago.

the Arsenal goal; just odd. i'd never have expected that from Pep, but this sh*t happens. he saves us enough.

all in all, a decent result considering we were down to 10 men for so long, but considering how the game panned out, I have to be disappointed.

oh, and I'm going to miss Masch. a couple of cameos from him during the game were priceless - chasing people like a dog after a f*cking bone, and his sprint into the corner with the ball on 50 mins or something. epic.

Lucas looked good when he came on though. i'd be confident that between him and Poulsen we could paper over that crack should Masch go.

also, Torres isn't even close to fit on that cameo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In terms of possession, Arsenal were quite a bit superior to Liverpool in the first half. However, they done very little that could be considered dangerous with that possession. Liverpool, despite not being tested, were very much off the boil and even looked a bit nervous.

Following the sending off, you would have expected Arsenal to push on and start making their possession count. To the contrary however, Liverpool managed to get an early goal and generally played a lot better in the second half despite Arsenal continuing to edge the game in terms of possession.

Both teams had goal mouth scrambles but Arsenal looked somewhat toothless and only scored as a result of an extremely uncharacteristic mistake by Reina.

I wouldn't quite go as far as saying that they deserved nothing but If Arsenal didn't score that goal, I don't think there would be many, if any, Arsenal fans here suggesting that they were hard done by or that there deserved more from the game. In fact, I suspect some fans would have been asking some pretty tought questions while also being concerned about there being no option B with Fabregas isn't available.

There is nothing unreasonable in what LZ5by5 said. I don't understand why you insist on being so confortational everytime you post on a Liverpool related thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Poor match, even worse Ref.

Wilshere studs up tackle should have been a red. Gerrard should have been booked and Cole too, not sent off.

Then when there is a foul on Kuyt the ball runs to Torres who is going clean through but he deciedes to call back the play not giving Liverpool the advantage.

Having a laugh at the comments about Cole's sending off and how it was a leg breaking tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I thought Arsenal were very poor and if Fabergas gets injured I would imagine things could get tough for them it was the lack of chances that they created which was the issue as you can't score if you can't create. Liverpool were very good in the second half defensively and also on the counter a few more games should tell us a lot about how hodgeson is approaching the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Typical start of season affair. Both teams looked very poor in the first half. Arsenal's pass and move game is getting them nowhere as they can't seem to find the back of the net and Liverpool are short in several positions. The referee dear oh dear where do you start. Another top flight game ruined by a ref trying to make a name for himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement