Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 Meteor

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    Oh really thats strange.
    Hope they get them in by the end of the week anyways.

I was wondering how that was gonna work! I thought you we're leaving yourself without a sim until they transfered it. Didn't know they left your old one active.

yeah basically its like any other MMSSID swap (are those letters correct?)
    your existing sim with all of a sudden lose signal, then you know its time to swap to the new sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Hey guys,
    Just had a glance over the thread. Seen stuff about micro sims..
    I'll be getting an iPhone 4 in 2 weeks, once I unlock and jailbreak it, will I be able to use my current Meteor sim, or what exactly is the deal.
    Appreciate any replies.

Kanney wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Just had a glance over the thread. Seen stuff about micro sims..
    I'll be getting an iPhone 4 in 2 weeks, once I unlock and jailbreak it, will I be able to use my current Meteor sim, or what exactly is the deal.
    Appreciate any replies.

you have 2 options :
    1. get a micro sim and transfer your number from your existing sim to the micro sim
    2. chop your existing sim (ive done this while waiting for a micro sim)

Like physically chop the sim card?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

Yes, this is what i have done and it works perfect. I havent bothered picking up a micro sim from meteor.

• Advertisement

I've been told on other forums, that I can't unlock the newest version of iPhone 4. Is this true? If I can't unlock it, cant jailbreak

I've been told on other forums, that I can't unlock the newest version of iPhone 4. Is this true? If I can't unlock it, cant jailbreak

yes its true, firmware 4.0.2 cannot be unlocked or jailbroken yet.

Any ideas yet on when that may be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Any ideas yet on when that may be available?

Soon enough, the previous version 4.01 was unlockable - but apple patched the jailbreak required to unlock.

Keep your eye on this blog for updates on jailbreak/unlock releases http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

kceire wrote: »
    i got a micro sim from Meteor yesterday. Should be transferred over today so ive been told.
    will keep you updated.

im actually in that thread too.

Where did you get your blank Micro Sim from Kceire?
    I went into Henry street today and the chap looked at me weirdly when I asked about the blank Micro Sims.

He said they should be in by the end of the month. I noticed how he used "Should"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

i called into the meteor store in mullingar today and they were very helpful. They said they got an email yesterday about blank micro sims and they will have them by next week! :D

hughie1989 wrote: »
    i called into the meteor store in mullingar today and they were very helpful. They said they got an email yesterday about blank micro sims and they will have them by next week! :D

I wouldn't get your hopes up just in case. Meteor keeps telling us next week and next week. But that "next week" just never comes hahah

They better get them in by Monday otherwise they can expect a strongly worded letter from me. :mad: haha

Thanks for the info hughie1989

DubDJ wrote: »
    Where did you get your blank Micro Sim from Kceire?
    I went into Henry street today and the chap looked at me weirdly when I asked about the blank Micro Sims.

He said they should be in by the end of the month. I noticed how he used "Should"!

the one i got is not blank, its an assigned number but Meteor are supposed to be transfering my numer to that sim.

i personally dont think its gona work, but it was worth a shot to be honest.

the one i got is not blank, its an assigned number but Meteor are supposed to be transfering my numer to that sim.

Ahh I see thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

let us know how ya get on!

Does anyone no the story with moving to 02 and keeping your existing number on a micro sim?? Its something i'd consider if i cant get one on meteor by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

Does anyone no the story with moving to 02 and keeping your existing number on a micro sim?? Its something i'd consider if i cant get one on meteor by next week.

why such a drastic move? i have a guy here in cork, who bought a sim cutter for 20€ and cuts for 1€. a lot of those chines places did it as well
    that schould sort you out until meteor got its act together

fairchild wrote: »
    why such a drastic move? i have a guy here in cork, who bought a sim cutter for 20€ and cuts for 1€. a lot of those chines places did it as well
    that schould sort you out until meteor got its act together

Think this is what he got : http://www.cutmysim.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

has your number changed over yet kceire?

will do hughie.
    deano_rich wrote: »
    has your number changed over yet kceire?

not yet deano, i rang customer care again last night and they said its due to change today, but they keep saying that. not in any rush though as my chopped cim works fine.
    davidgram wrote: »
    EDITED

feck off troll, if you want to advertise use www.adverts.ie

ok guys, update - Meteor cannot swap my numer to the micro sim as the micro sim has an assigned number to it. seemly its not so simple as a standard sim replacement.

guess i'll just wait for the blank ones to be released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Hey kceire, I see you on the Meteor forums too :P

Sorry that didn't work out for you. I went into my local shop in Ennis today and they said the same, that Microsims with numbers attached can't have numbers ported on to them. She told me to ring customer service and go to the sales department and they might be able to send me a blank one, but at the time I didn't think I'd have the phone until next week and I said I'd wait, but now my iPhone has been shipped 2 days early so I'm not sure if I should call or not.

I'm afraid to chop my sim, but I guess I'll just do that. My sim is like, really old though, not even 3G capable, will the iPhone 4 actually accept this does anyone know?

ok guys, update - Meteor cannot swap my numer to the micro sim as the micro sim has an assigned number to it. seemly its not so simple as a standard sim replacement.

They date we've been given for them is the 25th kceire. But as you know they change that date quicker than the wind changes.
    Lets hope they are correct this time. This is the first specific date we got. Instead of "next week" or "the week of the". Looking hopeful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have my sim a while too so not sure if it will work with the iphone 4. Don't think i can wait till the 25th for a blank one as the phone is expected this Friday. I'll prob just cut mine. If we do cut our sims and then go in to Meteor for blank ones on the 25th will this cause a problem? Do they need the actual physical sim to transfer you over to a blank one or do they just need your phone number?

Jofspring wrote: »
    Have my sim a while too so not sure if it will work with the iphone 4. Don't think i can wait till the 25th for a blank one as the phone is expected this Friday. I'll prob just cut mine. If we do cut our sims and then go in to Meteor for blank ones on the 25th will this cause a problem? Do they need the actual physical sim to transfer you over to a blank one or do they just need your phone number?

No Jofspring it's the same situation as if you lost your sim. They just turn off the old one and transfer the USSID thingamijig to the new microsim.
    You''d be better off cutting even if ya mess up just make sure you do it during the daytime so you can visit Meteor and grab a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Cheers Dub,

I'll def be cutting it now. Especially if it comes tomorrow :D

Jofspring wrote: »
    Cheers Dub,

I'll def be cutting it now. Especially if it comes tomorrow :D

Yeah expected delivery date has changed to Friday the 20th! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

Does anybody know a place in Dublin that does sim cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Also, there is a cydia patch for that now. just add "cydia.pushfix.info" as a source to cydia, and then install the "hacktivation patch". worked for me

Anybody got a link to above details I can't fond them on cydia

I doubt any shops will get them in around Dublin because Meteor are getting Micro sims in on the 25th. So unless a shop is already doing it there'd be no money to be made you'd just be able to go and get an official Micro Sim from whatever carrier you want.

But you can download templates for cutting them and use that. Have a look around YouTube. It's only a few days anyways until all carriers support Micro-Sim. Meteor are just behind as usual! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

My micro sim was not originally blank. It had a number attached to it, and the meteor staff put €1 credit on it to make sure it was active, which it was. I was able to make and receive calls and send and receive sms etc, before my normal number switched to it.

I'd say they are telling you that as it is too much trouble to go thru to get it switched to a non blank sim.

Also, when I got it it was completely free, no charge at all. They even gave me €1 free credit. Although when my number did switch over to it my free text and browse were gone, but I rang customer service, explained the situation and they gave me a fresh 30 day free text and browse.

Advertisement