Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 Meteor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

kceire wrote: »
    Yes, bought myactory unlocked fom the apple store and I never got th carrier message problem.

Worked straight out of the box with my meteor sim in it.

Cheers for the response. Did you just switch your number to a micro sim or cut your original down?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

So has anyone bought an iPhone 4 from the apple store and used a meteor micro sim that worked straight away?
    I know of a few people who have done so, yes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheers for the response. Did you just switch your number to a micro sim or cut your original down?

Cut mine down, then when the official micro sims came out I just swapped to one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wwonka14

I guess I just have to switch to o2 then. Hopefully the micro sim would work as it worked on a chopped up o2 sim.

wwonka14 wrote: »
    I guess I just have to switch to o2 then. Hopefully the micro sim would work as it worked on a chopped up o2 sim.

Yep I'm stumped. Maybe it will only work on a factory unlocked phone. Until then, wait for a jailbreak for iOS 4.1, otherwise switch to O2. Really not sure.

• Advertisement

If you do want to jailbreak and unlock in the future to use Meteor, you MUST use TinyUmbrella to update to 4.1 as this allows you to update iOS without updating your baseband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

So has anyone bought an iPhone 4 from the apple store and used a meteor micro sim that worked straight away?

Yes i did, read my post on last page number 115

Tones69 wrote: »
    Yes i did, read my post on last page number 115

Yes, I read that post but what I asked was, has anybody done it where it actually WORKED straight away?

You said it would not sync, you had to switch so I'm not sure what your point is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Yes, I read that post but what I asked was, has anybody done it where it actually WORKED straight away?

You said it would not sync, you had to switch so I'm not sure what your point is.

Well define "worked"?! My iphone 4 WORKED straight away when i got it with a meteor sim, ie: it worked with the sim card perfectly downloading apps, phone calls, txts etc etc, it just didnt work with itunes, get me now? :) The phone will work with a meteor sim but wont with itunes as they dont have settings for the iphone on meteor like voda/3/02 have

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    If you do want to jailbreak and unlock in the future to use Meteor, you MUST use TinyUmbrella to update to 4.1 as this allows you to update iOS without updating your baseband

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. Pardon for being off topic here... I know how to jailbreak because I'm owning an ipod touch but have no actual experience jailbreaking an iphone so I'm a newbie when it comes to baseband, bootloader and what not.:D

I'll do some more research before I jailbreak.

• Advertisement

Well define "worked"?! My iphone 4 WORKED straight away when i got it with a meteor sim, ie: it worked with the sim card perfectly downloading apps, phone calls, txts etc etc, it just didnt work with itunes, get me now? :) The phone will work with a meteor sim but wont with itunes as they dont have settings for the iphone on meteor like voda/3/02 have

Lol! Certainly clearer now. Well my definition of 'worked' would certainly involve a phone made by apple that relies on iTunes to transfer everything on it to be able to sync with iTunes yes. Some people seem to have it working fine though, or are they confused about my definition of worked also? No sarcasm intended. I just genuinely thought before this morning that there were no problems with Meteor.

Kceire, post 121 said his/hers was fine and dandy.

The iphone asks me to connect to itunes as soon as I insert the meteor micro sim. that's when i get the message carrier is not supported from itunes.

You are wrong there. Maybe it doesn't work for you, but it does work in general. I have an ultrasn0w unlocked iPhone 4 working with meteor perfectly. Sync's with iTunes, makes calls, sends texts etc. The only thing I needed to do was to enter the data and MMS settings
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. Pardon for being off topic here... I know how to jailbreak because I'm owning an ipod touch but have no actual experience jailbreaking an iphone so I'm a newbie when it comes to baseband, bootloader and what not.:D

I'll do some more research before I jailbreak.

The baseband is the phone's modem. 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 has a baseband firmware version of 1.59.00 which is exploitable to get a carrier unlock. 4.1 has baseband version 02.10.04 which is not exploitable.

Using TinyUmbrella lets you update to 4.1 while keeping baseband 1.59.00
    The iphone asks me to connect to itunes as soon as I insert the meteor micro sim. that's when i get the message carrier is not supported from itunes.

That's exactly what happens with mine, too. You need to wait for the 4.1 jailbreak and then install what's called a "hacktivation" patch. It does exactly what it says on the tin, hack's your iPhone into activating :) Then you can use ultrasn0w to unlock and away you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just thought i'd add to this. I bought my phone off the Apple Online Store and put a Meteor cut up sim in and synced to iTunes no problem. Then when the Microsims came out they ported my number over to one and that also works like a charm.

Seems like you just got lucky that your iPhone worked with O2 and Vodafone because as far as I know i've never heard of a Vodafone iPhone working with an O2 sim. Unless it was jailbroken or factory unlocked.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Im about to Order a IPHONE from the APPLE store, probally do it on thursday..

So just to Make things clear, i want to use my meteor sim card in it,

The Iphone does work with Meteor sim card, whether it be with a mirco sim or with a cut down sim, and it does Sync with Itunes no problems ???

bigron2109 wrote: »

The Iphone does work with Meteor sim card, whether it be with a mirco sim or with a cut down sim, and it does Sync with Itunes no problems ???

Yeah you should be fine there but there have been a few people having problems with their Meteor sim not working but I think for most of us it has worked.
    It's supposed to work with any sim not just the carriers that sell them it kinda makes the phone useless for most if it didnt work for carriers like Meteor who doesnt sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

bigron2109 wrote: »

If you are buying the iPhone direct from Apple, the phone will come with no restrictions.

It can be used on absolutely any network in Ireland, and GSM ones abroad.

Sync with itunes will function 100% also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've been using my iPhone 4 on Meteor for the past week or so. The only issue I had is that it took about a day for FaceTime to activate. Couldn't use it the first day, but no issues since. Running 4.1 on a factory unlocked model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Cheers folks for the info on that.Was abit worried it wouldnt work on meteor correctly or sync correctly after some of the posts on here..Going to order it online on thursday..Cant wait as ive been saving for weeks for it..:D

chrislad wrote: »
    I've been using my iPhone 4 on Meteor for the past week or so. The only issue I had is that it took about a day for FaceTime to activate. Couldn't use it the first day, but no issues since. Running 4.1 on a factory unlocked model.

How did you eventually get it to activate? Just curious!

• Advertisement

How did you eventually get it to activate? Just curious!

It just activated itself. I turned it on and off a few times, but other than that, I didn't do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Quick question. What plans are people using with Meteor?

I've seen the Bill Pay Smart Lite package for €30/month, if that wasn't enough, could throw in the €14.99 10GB Internet use means much much better value (for me at least) than 02 and 3's plans.

Also, are there any drawbacks in service/functionality in using Meteor than say 02 or 3?

Thanks guys.

ps. getting an 02 IPhone 3GS from a family member, who is going to get 02 to unlock it. He was Bill Pay so should not be a problem AFAIK.

hada wrote: »

I've seen the Bill Pay Smart Lite package for €30/month, if that wasn't enough, could throw in the €14.99 10GB Internet use means much much better value (for me at least) than 02 and 3's plans.

Also, are there any drawbacks in service/functionality in using Meteor than say 02 or 3?

Thanks guys.

ps. getting an 02 IPhone 3GS from a family member, who is going to get 02 to unlock it. He was Bill Pay so should not be a problem AFAIK.

I'm using mine ready to go at the moment. I was going to switch to the Smart Lite plan but they only offer the free calls and texts for 12 months.

hada wrote: »

Thanks guys.

im on Bill Pay Smart Lite 30
    200 any network mins
    200 any network texts
    free met-met calls and texts
    1gb data

me personally, i never ever get near the 1gb of data per month, the most i'd use use is approx 200mb but everybody is different.
    i have laptop at home and wifi so most of my browsing is in work or while out and about.

kceire wrote: »
    im on Bill Pay Smart Lite 30
    200 any network mins
    200 any network texts
    free met-met calls and texts
    1gb data

me personally, i never ever get near the 1gb of data per month, the most i'd use use is approx 200mb but everybody is different.
    i have laptop at home and wifi so most of my browsing is in work or while out and about.

Kceire I was gonna switch but I seen a * on the end of the plan saying the free calls and texts only last for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

So after 12 months switch to another plan or their latest offer, that's my plan. I'm on smart lite 30 too. It's a rolling 30 day contract so if/when the free texts finish I'll change plan or sign up the same offer again (by changing networks briefly).

DubDJ wrote: »
    Kceire I was gonna switch but I seen a * on the end of the plan saying the free calls and texts only last for 12 months.
    Dave6195 wrote: »
    So after 12 months switch to another plan or their latest offer, that's my plan. I'm on smart lite 30 too. It's a rolling 30 day contract so if/when the free texts finish I'll change plan or sign up the same offer again (by changing networks briefly).

+1
    after the 12 months i'll just scan Meteor for a new offer or plan that does include the free met-met

You'll be able to keep the Meteor Calls/Texts for free after 12 months. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Thanks lads for the very helpful replies!

• Advertisement

Dave6195 wrote: »

Un-needed hastle I think. They should just offer them for life.

Advertisement