Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken toe

Options
  • 12-08-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

My poor little fella 'Boots' a Pitbull Terrier has broken is a rear toe :(. He is very upset and in so much pain. Vets say he has burst a vein so its bleeding very bad :( He may need an Xray we will find out next wednesday. Hes on antibiotcis and painkillers.

Anyone else ever have this problem with their pooch?

003.jpg
    sickboots001.jpg
    sickboots002.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah the cone. Jesus do they hate that thing. When we first got our Staffie, she was just after having an amputation and shortly afterwards we had her spayed, so she spent the best part of two months with her head in one of those.

Never heard of a broken toe, but I imagine it's very painful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Not with a dog - but my cat had this prob a few months ago. Watch out for irritation around the bandage - my poor cat's skin had become all raw & inflamed under the bandage & I didn't realise until she actually tore the bandage down off her foot to get some relief.

The vet agreed we could just leave it to heal without the bandage then (I think this was about 3 weeks) & she got on grand after that. It healed in about 4 weeks.

Poor doggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I never had a dog with a broken toe but my Chihuahua has no nail on one of her toes where she got it caught in a blanket when she was young and tore the nail out, it never grew back.
    Get well soon Boots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Yes my Jack Russel Terrier broke the toe on one of his front legs. Apparently according to the vet its one of the sorest things that can happen to a dog as the toe is directly connected to all the nerve endings in the leg or something. Poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

ah the poor fella isn't himself at all :( usually when people rub him he loves the attention but he's not bothered.I hope hes better soon bcoz he will miss his walkies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

It is very sore see alot of broken toes, imagine like all that weight put on it!!
    Is there a cast on it to help it to heal!! What joint is it broken at cause sometimes you can amputate it like like to the 1st or 2nd joint, if the cast didnt work!! If you are with him to keep an eye on him why dont you take the collar off cause they get really depressed with it on. But if you not with him make sure he wears it!!!
    :)Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Best stuff ever with bleeding, swelling etc: Arnica. Tried and tested with oodles of dogs here. My own vet now recommends it to other patients after seeing the successes I had with it. I now give before and after ANY op, including neuter/spay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alfaspud

The great thing about dogs is how they heal so quickly, he'll be up and about in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

He is using the foot more and more now. Putting weight on it etc. Ive been reading stories of vets putting casts and they havent been nice stories like causing discomfort etc. After all we dont get a cast after breaking a toe?
    The Vet told us not to change it for a week untill wednesday when we go back up. but the blood is seeping through?and it dosen't smell nice at all :confused:.
    His headcollar is keeping me sane_lol when i take it off he we lick and lick then when you tell him no 5 seconds later hes at it again:rolleyes:. It dosent really bother him just when hes walking around the house he kinda runs into things:p

EGAR What is Arnica?

Advertisement