Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ken Doherty on East Coast FM

• 12-08-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

While channel surfing this week, I was surprised to hear Ken Doherty filing in for part of Declan Meehan's moring slot on East Coast.

I would imagine this is the first step for Ken in building a serious media career (after the bit of TV punditry for the BBC at the snooker, which he also did very well) and I'd say he has a great chance of making it.

As an articulate guy with an interesting back story and an obvious ability to “banter” with random interviewees, his potential would be light years ahead of what limited people like for example Lucy Kennedy or Claire Byrne could ever hope to achieve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I couldn't take more than two minutes of that accent.

Surely ability to 'banter' as you call it shouldn't be the main criterion of a broadcaster?

I'd put spoken English and grammar higher, but seems those attributes are not required these days:rolleyes:

Houghton was at it again last night on the box.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Surely ability to 'banter' as you call it shouldn't be the main criterion of a broadcaster?

I'd put spoken English and grammar higher, but seems those attributes are not required these days:rolleyes:

Foul and a miss, Flutt.

He's a light presenter not a newsreader. Banter skills trump RP.

Edit: At least I assume he is. Is the East Coast FM morning show heavy-duty politics, etc? If it is, I agree with the Flutt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Houghton was at it again last night on the box.:mad:

Ability to banter = Ability to establish raport with subject

Its depressing that there are some who wouldn’t even listen to a person for 2 minutes before dismissing them on the basis of their accent

Is it really a dealbreaker for you? I mean to say, Ken Doherty went out and won the amatuer snooker world title at a very young age I believe, then moved to England and slogged to make it as a pro - he was a grinder who extracted the absolute maximum out of the talent he had.

I seem to remember something about him marrying a clincial psycologist; Ive also heard him (on the BBC) talking about going to see Monet's waterlilies exhibition when it was on in London. Im not saying he should get a medal for these things but they surely suggest that he is bringing somewhat of a cultured/ educated outlook to the table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    While channel surfing this week, I was surprised to hear Ken Doherty filing in for part of Declan Meehan's moring slot on East Coast.

I would imagine this is the first step for Ken in building a serious media career (after the bit of TV punditry for the BBC at the snooker, which he also did very well) and I'd say he has a great chance of making it.

As an articulate guy with an interesting back story and an obvious ability to “banter” with random interviewees, his potential would be light years ahead of what limited people like for example Lucy Kennedy or Claire Byrne could ever hope to achieve

I'd agree with this, heard a bit of the show this morning, Ken was much better than you might expect for a presenter with limited broadcasting experience.

Could be one to watch in the future, either in Sports programmes or more general broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Ya'd think they'd give him a better job than just filing! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

It's fairly important in order to keep the talk flowing.
    Fago! wrote: »
    Ya'd think they'd give him a better job than just filing! :pac:
    Listen Fago, there's a recession don't ya know so if "filing" is all he can get I'm sure he's glad of the start! Filing is very important when trying to keep everything on order too.;)

Foul and a miss, Flutt.

He's a light presenter not a newsreader. Banter skills trump RP.

Edit: At least I assume he is. Is the East Coast FM morning show heavy-duty politics, etc? If it is, I agree with the Flutt.

A swing and a hit Asal.;)

Now I don't know where you hail from but his accent would drive me fcuking nuts.

Irrespective of the nature or depth of the show, I would opine that anyone who puts themselves forward on a well known station should, as a respect for the profession and the listeners, have a basic knowledge of the correct grammar to use.

Now I know the Big brother syndrome is rampant, where uneducated chavs and general gougers can attain national prominence simply by being what they are,uneducated boorish chavs!

I don't subscribe to that stupid system, and expect that anybody whom I would listen to would be conversant withe basics of proper grammar and speech.

Quite frankly I would dismiss any presenter or station which purported to ignore these basics and would bruise the 'off button' kind of rapido at the arrival of these kind of people.

Doherty doesn't cut it for me.

Maybe has an audience who have certain standards but,sorry pal, count me out:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You'd imagine wrong then.

He was presenting UEFA Cup coverage on 3e last season. He was the anchor, the "Bill O'Herlihy" role, as opposed to one of the "experts".

I find his voice incredibly boring. Good for snooker I suppose, not good for football.

Des wrote: »

He was presenting UEFA Cup coverage on 3e last season. He was the anchor, the "Bill O'Herlihy" role, as opposed to one of the "experts".

I find his voice incredibly boring. Good for snooker I suppose, not good for football.

Absolutely.

Don't give up the day job would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

I vaguely re-call him filling in on Eastcoast before. Could have been another station though cant quiet remember.

• Advertisement

Now I know the Big brother syndrome is rampant, where uneducated chavs and general gougers can attain national prominence simply by being what they are,uneducated boorish chavs!

I don't subscribe to that stupid system, and expect that anybody whom I would listen to would be conversant withe basics of proper grammar and speech.

Is this what you consider Ken Donherty to be, or are you making a broader point about standards generally?

Des wrote: »

Wasnt aware of that - he does seem to be on a mission to build a media profile so

Is this what you consider Ken Donherty to be, or are you making a broader point about standards generally?

I'm talking about standards generally.

I consider Doherty to have a voice and an accent, and a delivery, which I could not listen to for more than 3 minutes.

Those are the facts from my perspective.

If Mr Doherty wants to talk about snooker, fair enough, but don't ask me to give credence to, or listen to him on any other subject.

In my opinion, people who have a high profile in life, be it sport or otherwise,seem to think that that automatically qualifies them to expound on other issues.

Now if people are stupid and weakminded enough to give them any credence outside the area of their expertise, fair enough.

Don't expect me to listen to the shite they generally broadcast.

I consider it to be an insult to my intelligence,and a cheap shot by the station concerned.

We are not all lemmings or chavs.

If Mr Doherty wants to talk about snooker, fair enough, but don't ask me to give credence to, or listen to him on any other subject.

In my opinion, people who have a high profile in life, be it sport or otherwise,seem to think that that automatically qualifies them to expound on other issues.

Now if people are stupid and weakminded enough to give them any credence outside the area of their expertise, fair enough.

Don't expect me to listen to the shite they generally broadcast.

If you don't like Ken's voice, fair enough. But as for the other stuff, you're being a bit hard on him without having heard the show. It's true that being a snooker commentator doesn't automatically make you a good general broadcaster, but it doesn't disqualify you either.

He's always seemed to me to be an affable chap who doesn't have the arrogance that some sportsmen do. I haven't heard the show and for some reason I can't get the podcasts to work, but my instincts are to give Ken a chance.

If you don't like Ken's voice, fair enough. But as for the other stuff, you're being a bit hard on him without having heard the show. It's true that being a snooker commentator doesn't automatically make you a good general broadcaster, but it doesn't disqualify you either.

He's always seemed to me to be an affable chap who doesn't have the arrogance that some sportsmen do. I haven't heard the show and for some reason I can't get the podcasts to work, but my instincts are to give Ken a chance.

Don't think so Asal, some lad who spent his formative years in a snooker hall in Ranelagh doesn't cut the mootard for el Flutt.

I have heard him several times on the wireless and tbh his delivery and accent makes me want to gag up the few pints of stout sloshing around in my gut.

No fcuking thanks, with the greatest respect for his snooker exploits though.

Reminds me of those Boyzone geezers, fourth rate performers yet big themselves up at every opportunity and unbelievably, some people actually give credence and gravitas to what they say:eek:

Some of us like to aim a wee bit higher;)

So now presenters have to be experts do they?

that would be impossible in the context of a general interest magazine type show

So now presenters have to be experts do they?

that would be impossible in the context of a general interest magazine type show

Generally that's the idea:rolleyes:That's why they are presenters!

No it wouldn't, I would expect a presenter of a general interest type show to have good speech and grammar, a good general knowledge of the issues of the day and an ability to interact with the experts in the field being discussed.

Now if you want some chav with a neck like a jockey's bollox and the grammatical skill of a 4 year old, well that's your choice.

Sure as hell ,it's not mine;) I expect a little better.

Don't think so Asal, some lad who spent his formative years in a snooker hall in Ranelagh doesn't cut the mootard for el Flutt.

I have heard him several times on the wireless and tbh his delivery and accent makes me want to gag up the few pints of stout sloshing around in my gut.

No fcuking thanks, with the greatest respect for his snooker exploits though.

Reminds me of those Boyzone geezers, fourth rate performers yet big themselves up at every opportunity and unbelievably, some people actually give credence and gravitas to what they say:eek:

Some of us like to aim a wee bit higher;)

Judge a book by its cover merchants like you are what gives the real nonenties in the media their sense of entitlement - people with accents which you probably dont find annoying but who are in every other respect completely cardboard

im thinking about philip boucher hayes (ive heard him refer to his time doing arts in belfied more often that ive heard ken doherty refer to snooker)for example - or lucy kennedy from among the ladies

No it wouldn't, I would expect a presenter of a general interest type show to have good speech and grammar, a good general knowledge of the issues of the day and an ability to interact with the experts in the field being discussed.

ken doherty could have a phd in grammar and a masters in current issues and you still wouldnt give him the time of day because of his accent - isnt that the case

ken doherty could have a phd in grammar and a masters in current issues and you still wouldnt give him the time of day because of his accent - isnt that the case

I'm with you on this, Mr Tank.

I have no problem with Flutt saying he doesn't like a voice or accent, or whatever peccadillos he has (grammar, etc), but good radio is made up of so much more than that.

I just don't think you can dismiss someone theoretically. Flutt, well-aimed as your arrows are, you do not know what the target is in this case. Listen to the show first.

Give it more than three minutes. I dare you. The reviews so far have been positive.

• Advertisement

Judge a book by its cover merchants like you are what gives the real nonenties in the media their sense of entitlement - people with accents which you probably dont find annoying but who are in every other respect completely cardboard

im thinking about philip boucher hayes (ive heard him refer to his time doing arts in belfied more often that ive heard ken doherty refer to snooker)for example - or lucy kennedy from among the ladies

aaah ....:D now we are getting down to bedrock.

The old class syndrome is rising like a Phoenix from the arboreally challenged plains of Dublin West.

Look buddy, to cut the mustard on national or even local radio one needs a grounding in at least general arts degree.

Now most of us educated people like to listen to discourse which is a tad above what happened on Big Brother or how Jordan got another boob job, or how Davy Keogh made his way to Belarus for the soccer match whilst 'setting up camp' beside some other godforsaken 'Oooirish bar'.

If that's you level.... good on ya.

I aim higher.:cool:

aaah ....:D now we are getting down to bedrock.

The old class syndrome is rising like a Phoenix from the arboreally challenged plains of Dublin West.

Look buddy, to cut the mustard on national or even local radio one needs a grounding in at least general arts degree.

Now most of us educated people like to listen to discourse which is a tad above what happened on Big Brother or how Jordan got another boob job, or how Davy Keogh made his way to Belarus for the soccer match whilst 'setting up camp' beside some other godforsaken 'Oooirish bar'.

If that's you level.... good on ya.

I aim higher.:cool:

well, as i referred to in an earlier post ken has been heard on the bcc discussing late nineteenth century impressionist art. He's also applied bob rotella's techniques to snooker - probably influenced by the wife's input also

you sir are an inveterate snob - making snap judgments about people based on nothing while revering the real spoofers ie the "elite". did you ever watch alf garnet - he was like that

well, as i referred to in an earlier post ken has been heard on the bcc discussing late nineteenth century impressionist art. He's also applied bob rotella's techniques to snooker - probably influenced by the wife's input also

you sir are an inveterate snob - making snap judgments about people based on nothing while revering the real spoofers ie the "elite". did you ever watch alf garnet - he was like that

I'm afraid sir that this debate will soon attract the attention of the mods, and if I may say so, I am not exactly 'flavour of the month' with those excellent people.

Accordingly I invite you to tell me when Mr Doherty will be broadcasting on ECR and I will endeavour to listen and if you wish will give my reactions to the program.

Now is that a good deal or what?:p

...what happened on Big Brother or how Jordan got another boob job, or how Davy Keogh made his way to Belarus for the soccer match whilst 'setting up camp' beside some other godforsaken 'Oooirish bar'.

Not Ken's brief. Surely not. Not Op's brief either.

Poor show, Flutt.

Not Ken's brief. Surely not. Not Op's brief either.

Poor show, Flutt.

And your point Sir?

And your point Sir?

You seem to think Ken will talk about this - or indeed is talking about this crap:
    ...what happened on Big Brother or how Jordan got another boob job, or how Davy Keogh made his way to Belarus for the soccer match whilst 'setting up camp' beside some other godforsaken 'Oooirish bar'

If that's what he has signed up to do, then I won't be listening. But I think that's an unfair assumption.

You seem to think Ken will talk about this - or indeed is talking about this crap:

If that's what he has signed up to do, then I won't be listening. But I think that's an unfair assumption.

I never intimated that he would be talking about such subjects.

I was making a general point about the level of discourse usually found, as i did today on Ray Foley - total rubbish.

If yourself or tank can tell me when he is on I will listen and give an honest assessment.

After a bit of searching, I've discovered that you can hear Ken's Thursday show here.

http://blog.eastcoast.fm/2010/08/morning-show-with-ken-doherty-thursday.html

Oh dear.

I never intimated that he would be talking about such subjects.

I was making a general point about the level of discourse usually found, as i did today on Ray Foley - total rubbish.

If yourself or tank can tell me when he is on I will listen and give an honest assessment.

I intrepreted you as saying that this sort of rubbish was all Ken Doherty would be capable of discussing

regarding your reference to Boyzone and what they spout - what's your attitude to Keith Duffy publicising Downs Syndrom charaties, or Ronan Keating with the Marie Keating Foundation - would those 2 guys be qualified to "spout" about those issues notwithstanding their chronic lack of class?

• Advertisement

I intrepreted you as saying that this sort of rubbish was all Ken Doherty would be capable of discussing

That's addressed to Flutt, but I hope you don't mind if I throw my twopence in here.

I've had a brief delve into the show on the podcast, and I'm very disappointed. I thought Ken would be in an Ivan Yeats/George Hook sort of a role but he isn't. He can do so much better than trite radio.

If he's working up to that, then goodspeed, Sir. Open letter to Ken:
    Dear Mr D,

Apart from FlutterinBantam, we love you. But the format you have on East Coast FM is crap.

Get a bit of anger, man - some blood boiling and passion. We don't need another bland jock.

There's a youtube video of you pulling up at traffic lights, filmed by a fan, showing how well you cope with unexpected situations. Let's see that in live radio phone-ins.

Take control and leave the naysayers needing snookers.

Yours sincerely

Donkey Oaty

regarding your reference to Boyzone and what they spout - what's your attitude to Keith Duffy publicising Downs Syndrom charaties, or Ronan Keating with the Marie Keating Foundation - would those 2 guys be qualified to "spout" about those issues notwithstanding their chronic lack of class?

Now in my opinion you are trolling here.

The day I give any credence to the views of Ronan and Keith on anything other than stuff they are involved in themselves,will be a bad bad day.

They are 5th rate performers, who have a certain niche,not the types I would be listening to on disparate current affairs issues.

Can I be any plainer than that.

After a bit of searching, I've discovered that you can hear Ken's Thursday show here.

http://blog.eastcoast.fm/2010/08/morning-show-with-ken-doherty-thursday.html

Oh dear.

Ohhhhh dear.

NO.

Now in my opinion you are trolling here.

The day I give any credence to the views of Ronan and Keith on anything other than stuff they are involved in themselves,will be a bad bad day.

They are 5th rate performers, who have a certain niche,not the types I would be listening to on disparate current affairs issues.

Can I be any plainer than that.

I never troll

Keith Duffy has a daughter with downs syndrome which led him to be involved in charity fundraisers for learning support etc

ronan keating's mother died from breest cancer and the marie keating foundation raises funds for mamogram equipment

they are both very directly involved in this "stuff"

I don't think Keith Duffy has a daughter with DS.

Look, to work a show with a current affairs content requires a certain knowledge of current affairs.

It requires the ability to fess up to the people who are very well versed in their own field and be able to debate with them on an equal footing.

With all due respect, people like Doherty ,Duffy and Keating are nowhere,I say again nowhere,reaching that standard.

They may be able to relate to the average 'Joe' in Darndale,who looks up to them, more for their brass neck and ability to 'beat the system' than any actual talent.

'One of our own' I believe is the term used.

Doesn't cut it on the big stage unfortunately, as our man Ken so ably demonstrated;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Keith Duffy has a daughter with downs syndrome
    I don't think Keith Duffy has a daughter with DS.

Autism.

RE: Ken Doherty - I don't enjoy his snooker commentary. Will give that link a listen later to see what all the fuss is about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement