Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie - Decided on Drupal - learning resources?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I read some of the various threads in here, comparing Drupal, Joomla & Wordpress - and each one has it's merits.
    I'm starting a deg. in applied computers in Sept., and as CMS is a big module, I thought I'd have a look at what's available in open source.

I've had a good look at Joomla; there are extensive templates, with numerous modules and extensions, and the back end seems ok too. All in all, it looks good, especially for a beginner.

However, I've decided to go with Drupal (don't shoot me!).
    I have to say that it doesn't seem, as easy to use as Joomla, but I am only starting to use it. My main decision for choosing Drupal is laziness! :D

Some of the site ideas I want to play with, have some rather complex back ground stuff going on, and from what I've read, Drupla, while not as easy to use, is more suited to this kind of complex programming.

So, instead of learning Joomla, and possibly meeting restrictions down the line, I'm going to dig in, and stick with Drupal.
    So, initial hard work, with less stress down the line!

My mind is made up - please don't wreck my head with "but..." :D

If anyone else is using Drupal, could you suggest some good learning resources for this? Books, video tuts, etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Going to start answering my own question....

Going through the video tutorial by VTC - Introduction to Drupal 6, and it's quite good.
    It shows you how to set up drupal on your Win PC using MoWeS Portable, and then goes on to explain how to install in on a shared host.

That's as far as the free chapters goes, but it does seem like a decent resource.

Advertisement