Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spate of Robberys in Rush

Options
  • 12-08-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

For anyone in the Rush area be aware there was a spate of robberys at the weekend one I know personally happened at 15:15 on Saturday afternoon , the 2 culprits were seen at the house hoping over the side wall and going to the back door the person who seen them in there infinite wisdom to do nothing and proceed on there way FFS!!!:mad::mad:
    Another one I know the lads had a taxi waiting outisde the house for them and he dropped them to lusk , i was told the taxi number was flagged and when the driver was asked he took the 5th and wouldn help the police !! If this is true then its shocking on so many levels

Prime suspect number 1 is out of the question as he is awaiting trial for a more serious question , the main suspect for these ones is a local lad who an awful lot of people would know if they were from rush originally. The fact that in both cases the culprits were seen makes it fairly obviously it was this local lad , what help do the police have when local people turn the other way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

For any of the overeager, you can't shoot until September!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats an awful shame. i know we are not immune to robberies but awful to hear this happening.

keep your eyes open and report anything. you are not bothering the gards with this . its there job after all.

i am especially worried as my estate has no lights yet and people come and go the whole time so its hard to spot strage activity.

eyes peeled!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Imagine seeing 2 lads break into a house saying nothing and then a few days later telling the house owner ah yeah I heard you got broken into. Moral coward as well as a complete moron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Heard about these robberies and I think I know the one you are talking about.

Did the person who seen them break in recognise them? I would know the sons of the family in this house but a lot wouldnt and just maybe thought someone forgot a key. There is so much going on around Rush who knows anything really about what is going on? We probably all pass people from time to time who are up to no good and when we do hear later of a crime committed most cant remember. I would say where the ouse is you are talking about more than 1 or 2 people probably saw these lads.

The taxi ploy is quite common. Recently a local taxi driver was parking his car at 3 am when 2 lads approached and asked him to take them to Dublin. One produced a knife and said "we know where you live so you better take us", he had very little option.

One thing to bear in mind is the level of intimidation people feel when they witness a crime of any sort and while people think its easy to stand up and face these people its a different story when it hits you head on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Horsewhipping isn't good enough for people like this....

And what kind of parents do they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - I've deleted a couple of posts that were potentially defamatory.

Even if you claim to know something "as a fact" - you would be better informing the Gardaí rather than posting it here on boards.ie.

If anyone has a problem with this do not discuss it on-thread - PM me or Beasty.

Thanks,

HB

Toyotacorolla I do see where your coming from but a lot of the people who bring hassle to an area are quite intimidating. Its wrong that someone couldnt pick up a phone but I know someone who was in that position about 2 years ago and they were scared s**tless.

If we could just pick up the phone there is a possibility we would have all sorts of alligations but something needs to be done or some system put in place to help people speak out.

Agree with dan_d what are parents doing? Where are they when the kids are running wild?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

The police were annoyed by the lack of action - "what is wrong with irish people" were some of the of there comments.

As for parents the person is an adult not some teenager running wild

The police were annoyed by the lack of action - "what is wrong with irish people" were some of the of there comments.

So the biggest problem is the law?? Most people think whats the point in pushing a prosocution as nothing will be done or someone will stand up in court and say "ah he is a good lad", and the judge will apply the probation act.

The Gardái often have their hands tied by "do gooders" as we call them while others call them rats and intimidate them, "the "do gooders" that is.

Maybe people would be more forthcoming if the actually seen the Police walking by on the beat? Skerries and Balbriggan at least have cycle police. Much more approachable than seening a car once in a while pass through the town. They can chat and mention any strange goings on. Not all people are confident to pick up the phone and ring the garda about anything or everything as some persons are.

As Leo said people can be intimidated very easily now and the crime tv shows dont help there imaginations from going into overdrive. Also not everybody knows there neighbours or wants to know there neighbours in Rush now. In the mid 80s this town had a population of 4513 people, in 2006 it was 8286 people so it must be close to 10,000 so in the 80s it was alot more easy to know if someone was up to no good.

• Advertisement

Saw a Gardá on the beat in Rush twice over the 4 days. Great to see and perhaps a little communication with people will restore confidence.

Rush is so different now. We probably all would like to pick our neighbours but unfortunatley we cant. Rush has gained some terrific people over the last few years but like everywhere else we have a few eh eh eh eh dont want to be banned, undesirables.

Growing pains, you get it everywhere. Sure I remember hearing the Garda use to call Hayestown Little Korea in the 50s when it expanded with new houses and the influx of new families from the city. Now its one of the quiet parts of town. Skerries had the Mourne View Freedom Fighters if anyone cares to remember them.

I understand that the Skerries Garda handed out crime prevention pamplets to mass goers on the way out of Skerries Church recently, not so sure it happened in Rush me been a Pagan and all. Does anyone know if they have done the same in Rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well, my question was more in reply to something Corsendonk posted and was then deleted, but I suppose, what kind of parents raise kids who think that kind of thing is okay? And I'm guessing a lot of them are still living at home - you can't control them once they're adults, but can any of you imagine how you'd feel if you knew your adult son was coming in at odd hours of the day and night because he was trying to rob people's houses??

Anyway, setting that aside, I'm not sure about the leaflets. I do see the gardai cruising around this estate some evenings though, which is strange coz it seems to be a nice estate, with no teenagers.

dan_d wrote: »
    Well, my question was more in reply to something Corsendonk posted and was then deleted, but I suppose, what kind of parents raise kids who think that kind of thing is okay? And I'm guessing a lot of them are still living at home - you can't control them once they're adults, but can any of you imagine how you'd feel if you knew your adult son was coming in at odd hours of the day and night because he was trying to rob people's houses??

Anyway, setting that aside, I'm not sure about the leaflets. I do see the gardai cruising around this estate some evenings though, which is strange coz it seems to be a nice estate, with no teenagers.

?????? Did I have a post deleted here? I thought that only happened in the history threads:) Why shouldn't the garda be patrolling your estate even do it has no teenagers? Mountjoy is full of plenty of non teenagers. To be fair most of the crime caused by teenagers in Rush is base vandalism brought on by boredom.

There was never really anything to do in Rush as a teenager and not much has changed. Its most likely got worse as now the prospect of summer jobs on the land has reduced with the industry getting smaller and stricter labour laws. The recession hasnt improved there chances of getting part time work in other industries.

Perhaps the local school should have linked up with the community council, parents and FCC to provide some sort of civic trial programme for the local teenagers were they are required to spend so many hours a week working in the local community, gardening, cleaning the beaches, painting public areas, helping to build heritage pathways, building/maintaining playgrounds and skate park under the supervision of vetted volunteers who have skills that they can inpart on the kids. Plenty of "resting "trades people around the town that would be happy to be doing something to avoid watching Jeremy Kyle again. The town gets a cheap workforce, the kids get work experience at different trades and skills in a safe supervised environment and a better idea what career they would like to try. Plus your less likely to vandalise something that you helped build and maintain. Throw a big BBQ party at the end of summer for the teenagers and get a half decent band in for them.

No. It was someone else's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

on a related subject i think the majority of people in rush have a false sense of security. ive lived in rush for about 7 years and the majority of people i know who live locally still leave their doors unlocked during the day and their windows open when they go out. i know the majority of my neighbours to see and say hello to and just driving by their houses i can tell if they are in or out, and because rush is a fairly tightnit area the lads breaking into houses probably can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Keep the doors locked and a vicious dog on one side of it, sorted.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    ?????? Did I have a post deleted here? I thought that only happened in the history threads:) Why shouldn't the garda be patrolling your estate even do it has no teenagers? Mountjoy is full of plenty of non teenagers. To be fair most of the crime caused by teenagers in Rush is base vandalism brought on by boredom.

There was never really anything to do in Rush as a teenager and not much has changed. Its most likely got worse as now the prospect of summer jobs on the land has reduced with the industry getting smaller and stricter labour laws. The recession hasnt improved there chances of getting part time work in other industries.

Perhaps the local school should have linked up with the community council, parents and FCC to provide some sort of civic trial programme for the local teenagers were they are required to spend so many hours a week working in the local community, gardening, cleaning the beaches, painting public areas, helping to build heritage pathways, building/maintaining playgrounds and skate park under the supervision of vetted volunteers who have skills that they can inpart on the kids. Plenty of "resting "trades people around the town that would be happy to be doing something to avoid watching Jeremy Kyle again. The town gets a cheap workforce, the kids get work experience at different trades and skills in a safe supervised environment and a better idea what career they would like to try. Plus your less likely to vandalise something that you helped build and maintain. Throw a big BBQ party at the end of summer for the teenagers and get a half decent band in for them.

Cant agree with your second paragraph. There are timeS my wife and I are jaded from bringing our kids to various activities. But we make the effort not to have them sitting in front of T.V or Video games. There is plenty to do in Rush between youth clubs, scouts, cricket, G.A.A, soccer Drama, golf, but parents need to be more supportive OF ALL THE CLUBS.
    I do feel you have a point in the schools becoming involved in "promoting" the good young people there are around and I really fel we have a lot more good young people around Rush than a lot of other towns.

On the jobs front, well thats a thorny issue. In my opinion large stores need to keep (or be made keep) a certain amount of jobs for Irish kids. What they earn will go around to other shops at the end of the week, buy school books, uniforms, clothes and help take pressure of cash strapped parents. The goverment wonder where the money is going, vasts amount of money being sent out of the state by Western Union and FedeX every week.

LeoB wrote: »
    Cant agree with your second paragraph. There are timeS my wife and I are jaded from bringing our kids to various activities. But we make the effort not to have them sitting in front of T.V or Video games. There is plenty to do in Rush between youth clubs, scouts, cricket, G.A.A, soccer Drama, golf, but parents need to be more supportive OF ALL THE CLUBS.
    I do feel you have a point in the schools becoming involved in "promoting" the good young people there are around and I really fel we have a lot more good young people around Rush than a lot of other towns.

On the jobs front, well thats a thorny issue. In my opinion large stores need to keep (or be made keep) a certain amount of jobs for Irish kids. What they earn will go around to other shops at the end of the week, buy school books, uniforms, clothes and help take pressure of cash strapped parents. The goverment wonder where the money is going, vasts amount of money being sent out of the state by Western Union and FedeX every week.

There is a certain age that teenagers reach and the majority suddenly want to drop out of going to clubs, usually the scary 15s-16 bracket were they just want to hang with there mates. The nerds stay in the scouts or the sports fanatics stay on but most drop out.

You ever tried to get an Irish kid to work in a store? The first thing they ask is when they get paid? The second question is can they get a loan? Third is can they get a day off? You ask them to sweep the floor they think your joking, then they think your picking on them and embarrassing them. You spend your time watching there breaks because they forget to come back in time. They want to swap there shifts all the time, and you end up working rosters to suit them. Best place is on a till but they have an irritating habit of been under the weather on Sunday mornings. Foreign nationals are happy to have a job, will work any hours you give them, and if someone does a good job shouldn't you award them with more hours? Now dont get me wrong they can slip into the habits of the Irish kids but there less hassle and do a good job.

Fair point but thats just not kids who behave like that. I would blame a shop owner or employer for facilitating them in swapping shifts, not making them sweep floor or taking any instruction they are given. Where I work and I imagine in most places its a serious offence to ask for a loan off a collegue. Why would a shop owner swap rosters to suit them or tolerate them coming in with hangovers? If a few were let go the message would soon get out you cant behave like this and be taken seriously. Fantastic work is being done in St. Josephs and maybe the community council, F.C.C and others could come together to put some type of plan in place but I do believe we have a lot of very talented youth in the town. The kids who appear to stick at sport from what I see nearly all have very strong family support at games. I have no scientific evidence to back this up but when I look at teams in the club where I am am involved I see this quite a bit and this is good for everyone, player, team and club.

We did lose the run of ourselves for quite a few years where kids didnt work in shops because Mummy and Dad were both working and the kids were handed money any time they wanted it. Big mistake. Now things have gone belly up they find themselves in a very awkward spot But we seriousley need to start looking again towards retraining our young people to taking on jobs we were happy to do. I am not picking on non-nationals by the way I just feel what we earn we spread around they (a lot of them) send it out of the country and this is doing us no good at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

There is a certain age that teenagers reach and the majority suddenly want to drop out of going to clubs, usually the scary 15s-16 bracket were they just want to hang with there mates. The nerds stay in the scouts or the sports fanatics stay on but most drop out.

You ever tried to get an Irish kid to work in a store? The first thing they ask is when they get paid? The second question is can they get a loan? Third is can they get a day off? You ask them to sweep the floor they think your joking, then they think your picking on them and embarrassing them. You spend your time watching there breaks because they forget to come back in time. They want to swap there shifts all the time, and you end up working rosters to suit them. Best place is on a till but they have an irritating habit of been under the weather on Sunday mornings. Foreign nationals are happy to have a job, will work any hours you give them, and if someone does a good job shouldn't you award them with more hours? Now dont get me wrong they can slip into the habits of the Irish kids but there less hassle and do a good job.

hold on a second , that is a sweeping generalisation of irish teenagers. reading that description is any teenager i have seen in any job. the difference is mammy and daddy is buying the food and paying the rent. however foreign nationals are renting and need to feed them selves. and chances are much older.

you get a foreign national teenager and compare them to an irish teenager , their language my be different but their work ethic is the same.

and any teenager is not getting a part time job as a career so of course the first questions they will ask is when and how much am i getting paid. i know they weremy first questions when i started working. do you really expect them to ask what the pension options and career progression is like?

and as leo says there is plenty to do for all ages in rush.

there are bad eggs in every walks of life and these no matter how nutured and well brought up do bad things.

i know people reckon it may or may not be a certain family in the town . but regardless you should limit yourself to the chance of robbery by locking doors and closing windows. robberies can happen anywhere. there could be burgalars coming from other areas to hit "sleepy" towns.

we also have to think that with the recession its forcing people to desperate measures.

Ohh say the lad was a very good GAA Leo and he had a big cup game and needed to swap a shift, do I block that and say he has to work his roster?

How about national service? Knock those Celtic Tiger edges off them by shooting live ammo over there heads! :) they might even drop the mobile phones.

Martron wrote: »
    hold on a second , that is a sweeping generalisation of irish teenagers. reading that description is any teenager i have seen in any job. the difference is mammy and daddy is buying the food and paying the rent. however foreign nationals are renting and need to feed them selves. and chances are much older.

I not talking about hiring non national teenagers, of course you get bad eggs everywhere. Stores will hire non nationals because there flexi, usually hard working, over 18 so they can serve on tills when you get the late night rush before the off license closes, they havent to be off the premises before 10, they accept discipline(telling off works) when they over step the mark. So why should you keep jobs open for Irish teenagers?

Also its unfair to say they all send money home. I know a fair few south africans/poles that have made Ireland there home and there children are Irish.

Ohh say the lad was a very good GAA Leo and he had a big cup game and needed to swap a shift, do I block that and say he has to work his roster?

How about national service? Knock those Celtic Tiger edges off them by shooting live ammo over there heads! :) they might even drop the mobile phones.

The G.A.A have to cope with this every weekend. Its a problem but where G.A.A players do a get a few hours they bring in some extra business. If you have to run a business you must run it as you se fit and not to suit anyone else.

Some people do badly need edges knocked off them whether that be with a Hurley or not I dont mind. If you have a rule in your shop which says you cant use a mobile phone well its simple you cant use it. Are to many business people not a bit flippant about rules? Its a sacking offence to send emails in a lot of companies now and people get sacked because at the end of the day they broke the rules.

Thats certain types of emails Leo! Otherwise there be alot of unemployed people suddenly! Well if you worked at retail you would find that the unions are strong in certain retail chains(not as stong as the post mind), stores are very closely related familywise so you have to carefully record every infraction until you have a case history against a miscreat. Its true we lost the run of ourselves with the Celtic Tiger thats why we had non nationals doing undesirable jobs and alot of Irish still see themselves above them jobs.

I know of one girl who sent an email to a friend on her first day in a new job just to say she had got a job and she was dismissed at 11.30 on her first day. It said it in her contract. No emails. That was over the top I think.

As for Unions, I am a member of a Union but if we are relistic about it Union power has dwindled in this climate and will continue to do so. They served a purpose in the days when Irish workers were quite simply abused and treated like dirt by business people. When "the boss" kept paid the very badly and often rubbed their noses in it. When there was no toilets or facilites in factories and bullies were the foremen. Thankfully We have moved on from this in many ways but some now think the Bully has been replaced by the E.U and people with degrees who have no concept about what the public service is about, how to treat people or flexability around general work practices. Some bullies have been replaced by bullies with degrees.

The union where I work I would say dont wield much power but are actually very constructive in various areas within the company and have very strict rules around what type of complaints they handle.

Back on topic....
    I think Rush needs a neighbour watch scheme for each area. We need to start looking out for each other and our neighbours. Each house should have the phone No of all local Gardá stations beside their phone.

they accept discipline(telling off works) when they over step the mark. So why should you keep jobs open for Irish teenagers?

Also its unfair to say they all send money home. I know a fair few south africans/poles that have made Ireland there home and there children are Irish.

They need to keep jobs for Irish worker quite simply because we are the only ones who will turn things around not them.

Without getting myself banned I have seen people send crazy amounts of money out of the country, by that I mean sending home more than they recieve in their state payments!!! Example they get €200 per week and send home €220. And yes I reported them. I didnt mention a particular nationality. There are some Poles and eastern europeans who are great assets to our community, I meet them every day.
    Take a look at all the graffitti around the place, any clues as to who is doing it? We have really good youth and if we spend time with them they will reward us. I think

Good luck to all getting their results today.

Stay on topic please.

HB

LeoB wrote: »
    Good luck to all getting their results today.

Is there any point? They only might go and get a degree:) and from your statement about people with degrees it might make them worse people.

The original Factories Act 1955 governs the amount of toilets a employer must provide in the work place so I hope the unions weren't still working on that after 1955.

The EU funded some studies into the effect of neighbourhood watches. The link for a brief summary is below, crime was found to decrease by up 26%.

www.eucpn.org/download/?...%20Neighbourhood%20Watch%20v2%5B1%5D

Sorry about going slightly off thread at the start but counldn't resist not replying to that statement.

• Advertisement

Is there any point? They only might go and get a degree:) and from your statement about people with degrees it might make them worse people.

The original Factories Act 1955 governs the amount of toilets a employer must provide in the work place so I hope the unions weren't still working on that after 1955.

The EU funded some studies into the effect of neighbourhood watches. The link for a brief summary is below, crime was found to decrease by up 26%.

www.eucpn.org/download/?...%20Neighbourhood%20Watch%20v2%5B1%5D

Sorry about going slightly off thread at the start but counldn't resist not replying to that statement.

The point I was making a lot of us seem to think that because someone produces a report or has an honours degree what they must be right. Have we not learned to our cost the effect all these people with degrees in economics, accountancy and business studies have had on us.

As for the factories act, believe me They were still working on it in 2005. Neighbourhood watch is a throw back to when people looked out for each other and hopefully we will rediscover these values again

Advertisement