Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What To Expect From 5th Year? Advice?

• 12-08-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey,

I'm going into 5th year in 2 weeks having just done TY. I'm just wondering what should I be prepared for. I've heard from numerous people that it's "way worse than 6th year" and am a little nervous. The thought of having to start studying and actually doing homeowork doesn't sit too well with me. I know I will have to do it and will get back into the study routine but do you have any advice for me about 5th year. Will I still have time for a social life? Should I start studying straight away?
    Oh and the subjects I'm taking are Eng,Maths, Irish, French :mad:, Home-ec, Biology, Art and Religion as an extra. :)
    Any info would help.

Thanks guys :D

xo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Rhiannon.x wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm going into 5th year in 2 weeks having just done TY. I'm just wondering what should I be prepared for. I've heard from numerous people that it's "way worse than 6th year" and am a little nervous. The thought of having to start studying and actually doing homeowork doesn't sit too well with me. I know I will have to do it and will get back into the study routine but do you have any advice for me about 5th year. Will I still have time for a social life? Should I start studying straight away?
    Oh and the subjects I'm taking are Eng,Maths, Irish, French :mad:, Home-ec, Biology, Art and Religion as an extra. :)
    Any info would help.

Thanks guys :D

xo

Pay attention and keep up with class, and put effort into your homework. I never studied in 5th year. Though it would be beneficial if you did at some point I think, you'd be surprised how much you'd recall in 6th year

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

When you get homework just Do It there and then. Don't fall into the old 'oh but it's not due til x, i'll do it later and do this thing first.' I did my h/w when I got it and ended up with way more time to study because I wasn't always just catching up on other work. As said just pay attention in classes and keep up - all the basics are taught this year and you won't see them again until after christmas in 6th year. Also don't believe people, 6th year is way way worse than 5th year - you have projects, orals, mocks, practicals then the damn exams themselves.. Seriously work hard in 5th year but don't go overboard and burn yourself out, save that for 6th year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Expect a rise in the amount of homework you're given. Expect teachers to treat you a bit more like an adult- you make what you want of the leaving cert. I found there's a lot less fussing over whether you do you work or not, you're not a baby any more.

Do your homework all year round. Any time you have a test, study as much as you can for it, to get the best grade you can get. This way when you come back to material for study in sixth year you should remember more of it, and it will seem much more familiar. If you find you're having a major problem with any areas of your subjects, don't let them fester. Don't study too much though, you don't want to burn out before sixth year. Slow and steady wins the race!

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

seriously like - just do the homework and listen in class and you'll fly the leaving cert - bit of study after christmas time in 6th year and that's it pretty much

it's not half as bad as people make it out to be - the people who say it's pure hard are either the people who didn't do the work at all and then found it hard or the people who actually just did the wee bit and found it easy but don't want to sound like a swat or something

just do the homework, listen in class and have the craic at lunch, break after school and between classes but once your in a class listen and you'll do grand - and yes it is that easy pretty much imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bluelemonade

Just stay on top of your homework, hand up essays and you'll be fine. I think the leaving cert is perceived to be impossible by a lot of people. I found that 6th year was by far my best year in school as the teachers treat you as an adult. One other thing, the year will be over before you know it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just do your homework and you'll be fine. Anything extra is a bonus. 6th year is waaaay worse then 5th btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Do your homework, keep on top of your subjects, keep passing your tests. I didn't do TY so it really wasn't too bad, just kinda like another gradual increase in workload from the JC, however, I'd imagine coming from TY it's a bit of a shock.

It really isn't that bad, the main thing is keep on top of your subjects, so there won't be blank patchs in your courses when you have to revise in LC. Think about what you'd like to do in college also, don't leave that until the last minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Worst. year. ever.

Well.. I haven't done 6th year yet, I'll get back to you about that next year. :P But yeah, it's pretty much a massive shock compared to TY. The work load is incomparable! If you just do the work/don't take off to many days, you should be fine! I didn't study during 5th year except for coming up to the Christmas/Summer exams, but it's a good idea to keep all your notes, etc in order for 6th year! You could probably start working on your Irish/French Oral during the year (I wish I did) as there isn't that much attention put on it in school until 6th year, so it could really benefit you as you'd be more used to it! Also for French, try and keep tabs on all the verbs, maybe have a folder laid out specifically for them (There really is so many that it's hard to keep up with them!)

Advertisement