Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child proofing kitchen

• 12-08-2010 12:49pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get something to stop junior opening drawers, we got the cupboard handle catches, but the pot drawer keeps calling him :rolleyes: Also, he's a devil for turning the knobs on the cooker, dishwasher and washing machine, a great game he's turned it into... :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'm at the same point with my 10 mo old. Don't have any of those gadgets, but I've seen them at any child store. Also seen them at the EuroSaver & similar shops.

Only thing that's worked for us so far is standing there & holding the cupboards shut when she tries to open them. She tries a few times, screams a couple times then moves on when she realizes they're no fun. Of course, she tries again the next time she's in the area, but slowly she's learning that "no" means "no"!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Pots are great fun for a little person:)

I don't mind her at the presses and drawers,I have to switch the cooker off by the wall switch as she keeps switching the rings on.
    I have a stair gate up to stop her getting in to the utility room but of course she can open it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Don't know if you have the types of handles that allows this but in my grandmothers house she slipped a wooden spoon between the two handles on the double cupboard doors it thwarted our 1 year old big time! :D just make sure they don't see you slide it through....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We have an open plan kitchen/dining room/living room so we are planning on putting a gate across the entry into the kitchen. Only thing is we have to find one big enough!

Chet has a lot of gadgets and stuff for the TV etc... so we have just bought all new units from Ikea with no handles on the doors. You have to push them to spring open. We're hoping the lack of handles will reduce the temptation! The little gadgets to make the doors do this were failrly cheap, only a few euro each. If its the handles that are the temptation it might be worth removing them and replacing them with an opener like this?

My friend maintains that you should just let your child know that NO means NO! She has clips on her cupboards but says that her kids have never been into the cupboards or the Xmas tree etc... as she makes sure they know its not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My friend maintains that you should just let your child know that NO means NO! She has clips on her cupboards but says that her kids have never been into the cupboards or the Xmas tree etc... as she makes sure they know its not allowed.

I have clips on the dangerous cupboards only but No means No. There are certain things she is allowed to do in the kitchen ( she loves to pull her books off the shelf and throw them on the ground) and there's the No- No's. It works for me as she gave up going near the presses very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

For presses try those elastic things you use on the back of a bicycle and wrap and tie it through the handles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Dyflin wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get something to stop junior opening drawers, we got the cupboard handle catches, but the pot drawer keeps calling him :rolleyes: Also, he's a devil for turning the knobs on the cooker, dishwasher and washing machine, a great game he's turned it into... :(

yep i remember this one.... i had a roll of scotch tape on a dispenser and just taped the twisty knobs when i was using it.. specially the washing machine.. as for the cooker if you have a heavy stool/chair that you can put in front of it to actually stop him being able to reach it..
    and maybe for a couple of days if you empty the pot drawer or maybe just let him at it the novelty may wear off!!:D
    distraction distraction distraction.. i've 3 and i found this the best method after i had locked taped hidden and fort knoxed the house .. good luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In this house it's just NO means NO... we have a stair gate on the stairs and that's it... She doesn't go near the oven anymore cos anytime she did it was "NO Addison that is DANGEROUS!" even when it wasn't on. Presses get opened and she is just told to close them again and she does. We give her the pots to bang like drums anyway if we're in the kitchen doing something so... they're not a no no at the moment... She's not allowed in the kitchen on her own anyway... door is closed if nobody is in there :)

CCL- not sure if this is long enough - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lascal-12300-KiddyGuard-Safety-Gate/dp/B000J4E5GW but it's supposedly very good and think I'm going to invest in one for our stairs as the stair gate doesn't quite fit our banister...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Vilgance is the best thing but you can put the same catches on the drawers that go on cupboard doors. The latch goes on the drawer and the catch on the underside of the drawer. There are childproof squeeze and turn knobs for cookers that go over the exsisting knobs, but as ours is gas if they were turned on I knew soon enough, I think I turned them on more with my bump when I was expecting accidentally then the kids did.

A hob guard is a good buy, I know we all turn the handles of the pots in but it just eliminates little fingers reachin up. Ikea has one for 13 quid http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90107054

The No means No is important esp as they get older and start to climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

How do you do the no means no? My son is 13months and laughs when I stop him going to the press. He just walks straight back over when I take him away. He doesn't take my stern tone of voice or cross face seriously. There is only one press that he cant go into but yet its the only one he wants to go to (he broke the safety catch :(). He ignores the pot press which he is allowed into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

mohawk wrote: »
    How do you do the no means no? My son is 13months and laughs when I stop him going to the press. He just walks straight back over when I take him away. He doesn't take my stern tone of voice or cross face seriously.

Well, at that age I suppose it's just down to consistancy...both from yourself & your partner or any other adult figure. I was lucky w/ my girls, but they've also learned when Mom means it. They do toe the line sometimes, but they both know that if I say no, then no. If they try again, Dad says no, and he means it too!

If you haven't already, try talking to him (to explain why he can't go in there), then 3-tries & you're out - then timeouts...

It's the cupboards now, but your son's respect for your "command" will transfer all through his childhood...if you're not in charge now, imagine what he'll be like at 5...10...17! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

In this house it's just NO means NO... we have a stair gate on the stairs and that's it... She doesn't go near the oven anymore cos anytime she did it was "NO Addison that is DANGEROUS!" even when it wasn't on. Presses get opened and she is just told to close them again and she does. We give her the pots to bang like drums anyway if we're in the kitchen doing something so... they're not a no no at the moment... She's not allowed in the kitchen on her own anyway... door is closed if nobody is in there :)

CCL- not sure if this is long enough - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lascal-12300-KiddyGuard-Safety-Gate/dp/B000J4E5GW but it's supposedly very good and think I'm going to invest in one for our stairs as the stair gate doesn't quite fit our banister...

I don't see a width on this gate. Do you know how wide it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Think it's 51 inches??

Yep

Size extends to protect any space up to 130cms (51') wide and is 80 cm in height

Advertisement