Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exclusive Bottle Feeding

Options
  • 12-08-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Ok, so here's a question that I've been wondering...

For those out there who decide to bottlefeed from Day 1, can I ask why? I know there are all sorts of reasons why people may try breastfeeding then stop, but I am curious why new parents decide - sometimes even before the child's birth - to bottle feed exclusively.

Please note, I am in no way judging or critising (to each their own). This is always just something I've wondered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My friend never breastfed with her first or second child as she was taking warfarin and wasn't sure if it would affect the baby.

She considered it with her third but then had such an awful time at delivery (emergency C-Section under general anaesthetic) that it just went out the window.

She also said that she didn't want to feel like a cow being milked and that she always saw her breasts as sexual objects.

I think for a lot of people its a social thing tho. They know they wouldn't feel comfortable breastfeeding in public or around friends and family. I also think you are more likely to breastfeed if your mother breastfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I b/fed for 4 days on my little man and if I were to ever have another I would go straight to bottle. I was extremely ill (seriously) after 4 days so had no choice but to bottle feed him. But the next time I wouldn't even try to breastfeed. It means that the responsibility can be shared, and that Mum might actually get a night' sleep every so often when Dad or someone else can share the burden. It also means that Mum (and Dad) can have some time away from the baby and leave him/her with a babysitter/family member. I've heard all the stories about the health benefits of breastfeeding etc but honestly I don't think it has made any difference to my son. If you build up their immune systems in other ways - not wrapping them up in cotton wool - they will be strong and healthy and hopefully live a happy life.
    I think a lot of people try to breastfeed because they feel pressured into it - I know I did, but I wouldn't let anyone pressure me again.
    Just my opinion - based on my own experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I tried for a few days but couldn't so i had to use the bottle.

While my boobs are still in great shape, if you dont mind me saying so, I wish I could have.

It meant whenever the baby was asleep I was up cleaning and sterilizing.

As a single parent, bottle feeding did not mean sharing the work, but doubling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I never even attempted to breastfeed. Bottle was the right choice for us as a family and I have no regrets or no guilty feelings (unlike others who made the same choice)

I always wonder why other people care about how people feed their babies, what does it matter to anyone else how I or any other random punter feeds their child, as long as they are being fed surely that is the main thing?

There were many reasons for our decision, but, at the end of the day it was a decision that my husband and I made, and I don't feel I need to explain it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

MrsA wrote: »
    I never even attempted to breastfeed. Bottle was the right choice for us as a family...There were many reasons for our decision, but, at the end of the day it was a decision that my husband and I made, and I don't feel I need to explain it to anyone.

Ok, MrsA, I completely respect this decision that you & your family made. You're right, it is each parent's decision how they feed their children, and as long as the babe's healthy & fed I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Maybe my query just stems from a larger, broader question...maybe I should explain. As an example - research undeniably shows that reguarly smoking/drinking/taking drugs is unhealthy, but so many still do it. Stats show that wearing a helmet or seatbelt can save your life, but many don't bother. Education can open career paths & opportunities, but many parents don't encourage their kids to study. And the examples go on...

My question is just...why? Why do people chose against research & advice? And specifically with the bottle vs. boob issue...is it purely a modesty/convenience/social norms issue that makes people opt for the bottle? Do people believe the bottle can be physically better (not just "as good as", but actually better) for mom & babe? And if they don't think it's better, how does the convenience of bottle feeding make it worth it?

Please understand I'm not critizing or judging anyone...at the end of the day we're all here & our kids are alright, so I'm just trying to understand the "other side of the coin."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I would of loving to breastfeed but as I had split with my partner I wanted him to be able to go off with baby and bond so I kinda had to bottle feed. I'm glad I bottle fed though as she was a very hungry baby was drinking 5oz bottles 6 times a day from week 2.

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I would of loving to breastfeed but as I had split with my partner I wanted him to be able to go off with baby and bond so I kinda had to bottle feed.

Did you consider expressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I bottle fed from day one. My son was unplanned and unexpected. I wasn't planning to have a baby but once it happened we were happy he'd come along. I thought about breast feeding but went for bottle feeding instead. I don't 100% agree that breast is best.
    In my own head, and this is just a total me thing, i'd be much more confident feeding a baby from a bottle rather than from the breast. I honestly don't know why but the idea of breast feeding scares me a small bit. Once the mom is happy the baby will be happy too. A stresesd mom trying to breast feed when she feels it doesn't come particularly naturally to her is not going to be good for either herself or the baby.
    The other side of it is I think it REALLY helped my other half to bond with our son. He had never even held a baby before Jack arrived and within an hour was feeding him his first ever bottle in the delivery room. I firmly believe that if I was breast feeding he wouldn't have had as much time on his own with the baby and wouldn't have gotten as confident handling him as quicly as he did. I know you can express but that doesn't work for everyone either.
    Just my opinon. If I was to have another one I might try breast feeding now that I have one under my belt and am more confident with babies etc but I wouldn't have any hesitation going for the bottle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't 100% agree that breast is best.

For the baby it is :).

Ayla, in answer to your question. I think it is a social thing. Breastfeeding is not the norm in this country, which considering it's the biological norm is mad. Many people have never seen a woman breastfeed and it can make a breastfeeding woman feel like a freak, not because it's unnatural, but because of society's perception.

I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old and when out shopping yesterday, took the little fella back to the car to feed him as I couldn't face going into a café on my own. If I had company, I may have been braver. My brothers leave the room when I feed, a neighbour took her child out of the room the other day! It's things like this that really put women off.

That's my two cent anyway.

deemark wrote: »
    I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old and when out shopping yesterday, took the little fella back to the car to feed him as I couldn't face going into a café on my own. If I had company, I may have been braver. My brothers leave the room when I feed, a neighbour took her child out of the room the other day! It's things like this that really put women off.

I've heard of some people experiencing this, but can't say I had it myself...I b/fed my 2 girls - both for 7-8 months - and never once noticed anyone looking at me in public. I'd do it (discretly) anywhere and all I can guess is that folks thought the babe was sleeping. Of course, both of the girls reached an age where they'd snort & grope (then, of course, have to come up for air or have a look around). I just laughed about it - what else can you do? :D

I imagine some women may be hesitant to try b/feeding b/c they imagine they would be stygmatized or stared at. Can't say I had a problem with that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was advised by my medical team that it would be better for my son to be bottle fed on premature baby milk. My son was delivered by c-section as he was "failing to thrive" and was only 4lb 11oz at birth - I had been very sick for the pregnancy too which did not help. I did give him the colostrum and pumped 2 feeds a day for the first 5 weeks. I felt very upset about it but I had to listen to the medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Ayla wrote: »

My question is just...why? Why do people chose against research & advice? And specifically with the bottle vs. boob issue...is it purely a modesty/convenience/social norms issue that makes people opt for the bottle? Do people believe the bottle can be physically better (not just "as good as", but actually better) for mom & babe? And if they don't think it's better, how does the convenience of bottle feeding make it worth it?

Please understand I'm not critizing or judging anyone...at the end of the day we're all here & our kids are alright, so I'm just trying to understand the "other side of the coin."

People "choose" for exactly that reason, it is a CHOICE! It is worth it for me and my children to be bottle fed, it is not poison, it is baby formula, okay it is not made in my boobs, but, it is a pretty good alternative. Breast milk is designed by nature for babies, no debate, and yes it is "best" but, there are other things to consider.

Regardless of how you word it you do seem to be judging people. You seem to be saying that those of us who bottle feed but, convenience before the health of our children, that is simply not true.

I don't know why I am bothering to reply to this again, you seem to have a nice comfortable spot up there on the high moral ground :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

MrsA wrote: »
    People "choose" for exactly that reason, it is a CHOICE! It is worth it for me and my children to be bottle fed, it is not poison, it is baby formula, okay it is not made in my boobs, but, it is a pretty good alternative. Breast milk is designed by nature for babies, no debate, and yes it is "best" but, there are other things to consider.

Regardless of how you word it you do seem to be judging people. You seem to be saying that those of us who bottle feed but, convenience before the health of our children, that is simply not true.

I don't know why I am bothering to reply to this again, you seem to have a nice comfortable spot up there on the high moral ground :rolleyes:

It's not a moral point, it's a health point. Breastmilk is not "best" it is normal. The OP has not made any judgement, nor has she any right to. How people choose to feed their children is their own business. However there is a value in knowing why some people choose to feed their children processed food rather than natural food, if only to improve breastfeeding initiatives and public health policies. There is an awful lot of misinformation out there and it is understandable that those who have not breastfed due to poor support, misinformation or for medical reasons may feel sensitive about the issue. However it's only by understanding why bottlefeeding remains so common in the face of all the research and medical advice that the status quo can be shifted. The HSE, in line with WHO research, aims for ALL babies to be breastfed, unless there are medical reasons why that can't be the case. There is a reason for that, and it's not a moral one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

It's not a moral point, it's a health point. Breastmilk is not "best" it is normal. The OP has not made any judgement, nor has she any right to. How people choose to feed their children is their own business. However there is a value in knowing why some people choose to feed their children processed food rather than natural food, if only to improve breastfeeding initiatives and public health policies. There is an awful lot of misinformation out there and it is understandable that those who have not breastfed due to poor support, misinformation or for medical reasons may feel sensitive about the issue. However it's only by understanding why bottlefeeding remains so common in the face of all the research and medical advice that the status quo can be shifted. The HSE, in line with WHO research, aims for ALL babies to be breastfed, unless there are medical reasons why that can't be the case. There is a reason for that, and it's not a moral one.

Fixed your post to reflect my views on this. What "value" does the op get out of knowing what/why people feed their babies, or is Ayla representing the HSE now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

We've all made our choice on how to feed OUR babies. Not like I can start breast feeding now! So dont understand why you are trying to make us feel bad because we didn't breast feed like yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Right listen up I am saying this only once.
    The parenting forum and it's sub forums including this one have a support and sharing ethos. The charter states:
    Please remember that there are many different ways and styles of parenting
    and if you disagree with someone then agree to disagree and keep things civil as per the rules.

The rules for the site also say attack the post not the poster, debate their points and questions do not have a go at them personally.

I don't think Ayla started this thread to have a go at mother's who do no breastfeed but to ask about the range of reasons why, which is reasonable.

Any snide or high handed replies to this thread will result in bans from this forum. I am sure you are all well capable to discuss the topic with out resulting to stroppy posting or silly stunts and hopefully both sides will come to a better understanding through the discussion.

Any women who has a child in this country will have gotten the message loud and clear that breastfeeding is an option to consider and that there are suports for those who want to and that from an imune system point of view it is what is best for the baby.

But there are plenty of babies who grow up happy, healthy and thrive with out being breastfed and we are bless as women living in this age that there is the option of forumula for hundreds of years breastfeeding was the only option and if you couldn't you usually had to hand your child over to someone else to nurse them or else the infant
    with die.

So we are lucky and so are our children.

gogo wrote: »
    Fixed your post to reflect my views on this. What "value" does the op get out of knowing what/why people feed their babies, or is Ayla representing the HSE now?

Why don't you ask her?

Personally, I've been working with local Public Health Nurses to develop resources to support mothers who breastfeed in our area. This involves keeping abridge of current research and best practice, holding baby-friendly coffee mornings and yes, finding out the reasons why some women struggle to breast feed and why some people prefer not to try. There is great value in this work, it aims to normalise breastfeeding, helps people who are breastfeeding and encourages others to support it or even try it themselves. It is not activism, lactivism or boob fascism, it is health policy implementation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

I'm the mother of a 3 month old boy and any future children I have will be bottle fed from day 1 for sure.

I had a very difficult and traumatic birth, however I did get some help with bf'ing in the hospital. After that 4 days, I was on my own (in the bf'ing sense ie I had family around me but no-one with bf'ing experience) I paid a private lactation consultant 180 euro to help me... DS and I had difficulty maintaining his "latch" position and I was in agony trying to feed him.

I was in severe pain generally and was suffering a horrific recovery. It got to the stage where nipples were bleeding and sore, DS was hungry, I was dreading feeding him. He was upset and crying as he wasn't getting fed enough/to his satisfaction, I was crying because I was in such pain and poor DH didn't know what to do.. It was bad enough being in pain one end, without suffering it 2 ends! I was crying tears down on top of my child and felt feeding him was a chore and wasn't enjoying him as I should have been.

Day 6 after birth, I gave up and put DS on Formula. Our house turned from house of horrors to the happy home it's remained as such since. I don't regret my decision to give up one little bit and will not consider breastfeeding any future kids we might have. I'm so sorry I even gave it a shot..

Breastmilk is best, but breastfeeding isn't always best in my experience.

<snip>
    I did get some help with bf'ing in the hospital. After that 4 days, I was on my own (in the bf'ing sense ie I had family around me but no-one with bf'ing experience) I paid a private lactation consultant 180 euro to help me... DS and I had difficulty maintaining his "latch" position and I was in agony trying to feed him.

I was in severe pain generally and was suffering a horrific recovery. It got to the stage where nipples were bleeding and sore, DS was hungry, I was dreading feeding him.

<snip>

I'm so sorry I even gave it a shot..

Your story is quite common Charlie. It's crazy that you are left on your own, that many of the PHNs in this country know feck all about breastfeeding and that two generations of women are unable to help. The women around you should be able to share their experiences and warn you that it will hurt for a while. Only for a friend of mine, I would've quit at the eye-watering, cracked stage too. Nobody should have to hire a lactation consultant, as if they are this big luxury, it should be a standard part of the PHNs skill set.

However, I'm stunned that anyone would say she is sorry that she "even gave it a shot". You did it and didn't continue, the pain is gone now and your baby got the most important stage of breastfeeding - your colostrum. Why would you be sorry about that?:confused:

• Advertisement

I had a very difficult and traumatic birth, however I did get some help with bf'ing in the hospital. After that 4 days, I was on my own (in the bf'ing sense ie I had family around me but no-one with bf'ing experience) I paid a private lactation consultant 180 euro to help me... DS and I had difficulty maintaining his "latch" position and I was in agony trying to feed him.

I was in severe pain generally and was suffering a horrific recovery. It got to the stage where nipples were bleeding and sore, DS was hungry, I was dreading feeding him. He was upset and crying as he wasn't getting fed enough/to his satisfaction, I was crying because I was in such pain and poor DH didn't know what to do.. It was bad enough being in pain one end, without suffering it 2 ends! I was crying tears down on top of my child and felt feeding him was a chore and wasn't enjoying him as I should have been.

Day 6 after birth, I gave up and put DS on Formula. Our house turned from house of horrors to the happy home it's remained as such since. I don't regret my decision to give up one little bit and will not consider breastfeeding any future kids we might have. I'm so sorry I even gave it a shot..

Breastmilk is best, but breastfeeding isn't always best in my experience.

I also think that lack of family support or experience of breastfeeding by other family members can be a crucial missing link for many people. I also 'hit the wall' on Day 4 and would probably have introduced the bottle had I not had my sister staying with me for the week after the birth. She had breastfed her two, and remembered our mum breastfeeding our younger siblings. She knew the course that breastfeeding typically takes and I was very lucky that she stayed with me and was able to reassure me that the discomfort would soon pass. Very few people have that kind of support.

I think a lot of people, especially those who have never observed a close friend or family member breastfeeding, simply don't know what to expect when they begin to nurse. They don't always know that the first week can be sore (but that it passes) or what a good latch looks like (leading to sore nipples and an inefficiently feeding baby) or how to deal with blocked ducts or cracked nipples or whatever. There also seems to be an idea that breastfeeding is supposed to happen naturally or instinctively when in reality it has to be learned, either with lots of support or by observing other women doing it from when we are young. The latter isn't really an option in today's Ireland. Add to all that the stress of having your baby weighed every couple of days and being judged on the results by very patchily trained PHNs (a few are good and up to date in their training), it is no wonder that so many parents give up before they really have had a chance to get started, or that people who have had one bad experience prefer not to bother next time.

I am sure we had a breastfeeding support thread I am sure it can be dug up for those who want it.

I can also understand why those who choose to bottle feed may feel that they can't post in this thread to share their experiences as they will be pounced on with questions and an attempt made to re educate them, and doing that goes against the supportive ethos of the forum.

cat melodeon-

There is a fine line between support and pressure.

I honestly believe that the nurses, the lactation consultants, the breasstfeeding classes in the hospital put so much pressure on me that I was inhibited.

I think if I were left alone with a six pack of beer and a comfy chair the let down would have come.

Instead I was handed breast pumps and manhandled by nurses, [I could even see the baby was inhibited by it too], swamped with info about compresses and do this and do that and do this, and no dont do that and.... well you get the picture.

Your story is quite common Charlie. It's crazy that you are left on your own, that many of the PHNs in this country know feck all about breastfeeding and that two generations of women are unable to help. The women around you should be able to share their experiences and warn you that it will hurt for a while. Only for a friend of mine, I would've quit at the eye-watering, cracked stage too. Nobody should have to hire a lactation consultant, as if they are this big luxury, it should be a standard part of the PHNs skill set.

However, I'm stunned that anyone would say she is sorry that she "even gave it a shot". You did it and didn't continue, the pain is gone now and your baby got the most important stage of breastfeeding - your colostrum. Why would you be sorry about that?:confused:

Yes, you're right of course. It was best for baby, even for the few days to get the colostrum.

However for me I feel I we will always look back on the first few days of DS life as a time of misery, pain, and upset. I wish it wasn't the case. I wish I'd been able to enjoy him more at that time, and that baby had been more content/satisfied in that time... I'd hate for me and my family to go through all of that again.

I also think that lack of family support or experience of breastfeeding by other family members can be a crucial missing link for many people. I also 'hit the wall' on Day 4 and would probably have introduced the bottle had I not had my sister staying with me for the week after the birth. She had breastfed her two, and remembered our mum breastfeeding our younger siblings. She knew the course that breastfeeding typically takes and I was very lucky that she stayed with me and was able to reassure me that the discomfort would soon pass. Very few people have that kind of support.

I think a lot of people, especially those who have never observed a close friend or family member breastfeeding, simply don't know what to expect when they begin to nurse. They don't always know that the first week can be sore (but that it passes) or what a good latch looks like (leading to sore nipples and an inefficiently feeding baby) or how to deal with blocked ducts or cracked nipples or whatever. There also seems to be an idea that breastfeeding is supposed to happen naturally or instinctively when in reality it has to be learned, either with lots of support or by observing other women doing it from when we are young. The latter isn't really an option in today's Ireland. Add to all that the stress of having your baby weighed every couple of days and being judged on the results by very patchily trained PHNs (a few are good and up to date in their training), it is no wonder that so many parents give up before they really have had a chance to get started, or that people who have had one bad experience prefer not to bother next time.

Phn visited me once. I explained my difficulties with bf'ing, she said it was "unfortunate, but keep trying". I haven't seen or heard from a PHN since and thats why I contacted a private LC for help.

cat melodeon-

There is a fine line between support and pressure.

I honestly believe that the nurses, the lactation consultants, the breasstfeeding classes in the hospital put so much pressure on me that I was inhibited.

I think if I were left alone with a six pack of beer and a comfy chair the let down would have come.

Instead I was handed breast pumps and manhandled by nurses, [I could even see the baby was inhibited by it too], swamped with info about compresses and do this and do that and do this, and no dont do that and.... well you get the picture.

I completely understand this and it demonstrates how badly trained staff are and how few resources there are once you've had your baby. Support should not turn into pressure. Some women need someone there to hold their hand through the first few days, others need to be left alone to get on with it. In all cases, the support person needs to know when to offer advice and intervention, when to back off (and provide a comfy chair and a beer if desired!) and how to offer support in a nonconfrontational, kind and unpreachy way. Not every PHN is equipped with the skills to offer that kind of support, many are overworked, seem to have questions to ask and checklists to tick and very little firsthand knowledge of breastfeeding.

Thaedydal, I may across as preachy (not helped by it being a faceless internet forum) when I don't mean to be. It is a topic people are extremely sensitive about and it's a shame that people feel that any enquiry into their experiences is a criticism rather than a genuine attempt to understand the barriers and inhibitions people might have encountered.

This thread started out as a why do people bottle feed and swifty turned into being about breastfeeding, that derailment is exactly why you don't get discussion on the topic of why new parents choose to bottle feed.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    This thread started out as a why do people bottle feed and swifty turned into being about breastfeeding, that derailment is exactly why you don't get discussion on the topic of why new parents choose to bottle feed.

In fairness, it's impossible to discuss one without the other and one of the reasons that Catmelodeon (and I) were offering for women bottle-feeding is the lack of appropriate support for breastfeeding. It's hardly derailment to answer the OP's question.

In fairness, it's impossible to discuss one without the other and one of the reasons that Catmelodeon (and I) were offering for women bottle-feeding is the lack of appropriate support for breastfeeding. It's hardly derailment to answer the OP's question.

It is possible to discuss one with out the other and women who have made up their mind before birth to bottle feed and not to attempt to breastfeed are not going to be effected by that lack of support.

• Advertisement

Sorry but it is breastfeeding naziism. We all know its better for the child.

But if its going to make the mother crazy then its not better for the child because all that anxiety is going to get transferred to the child.

Did you know that in the US welfare mothers used to get vouchers for formula? But the breastfeeding nazis put a stop to that to force them to breastfeed.

Advertisement