Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tGC Beers - This Saturday - 9.00 PM - Solas - Wexford Street - Be There And Be Beered

• 12-08-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Alright ladies and gents,just reading through the OT thread and a few have suggested a beers.There was one a wee while ago but there were a few that couldnt attend so I was thinking Saturday 18th September as a fairly decent date for it.It leaves time for people that have other commitments eg kids,to plan ahead
    get permission
    ,arrange for Hotels for those that will be travelling from outside the Pale and the majority of people dont work on Sundays so hangovers wont be a factor.

So what think ye fine people?

tGC Beers 16 votes

September 18th FTW!
    0%
    September 18th no can do
    75%
    Unknownthe_sycoAgent SmithcocoaWillDordPembilyThat_GuyOtis DriftwoodCDfmSnowieYourself 12 votes
    September 18th possibly
    25%
    UnknownBottle_of_SmokeHoward the Duckforce majeure 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

My Masters thesis is due September 17th...so il either be dead, in a coma or still drunk on the 18th so i voted 'possibly' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

September 18th no can do
    Post thesis hand in blow out FTW BB!

Also,I had a pm from someone asking whether the beers is an invite only deal,just so there is no ambiguity,its for anyone and everyone that wants to attend.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I miss the days of Elitism. :(
    Hope to be there but Sept. is a hectic month for me.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I would like to go to this but i'm only back of holidays that day, so not sure what state i would be in

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Post thesis hand in blow out FTW BB!

Also,I had a pm from someone asking whether the beers is an invite only deal,just so there is no ambiguity,its for anyone and everyone that wants to attend.

You know it!

*internet hai five!*

o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

September 18th no can do
    Sounds fun.

Can I make a suggestion though? Can we please not have it in No. 3 Fade Street?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sounds fun.

Can I make a suggestion though? Can we please not have it in No. 3 Fade Street?

Yeah I loved that place but it was a bit on the packed side.

How did ye get on in D2 the last time? Did that beers go ahead?

September 18th no can do
    All suggestions for venue's welcomed.Given that it will be a Saturday night somewhere with some breathing room is a must,and a nice smoking area too,which is kinda contradictory but whaddayagonnado.

September 18th no can do
    Yeah I loved that place but it was a bit on the packed side.

How did ye get on in D2 the last time? Did that beers go ahead?

D2? Never been there so couldn't tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

,its for anyone and everyone that wants to attend.

Even the wimmin folk? :eek:

• Advertisement

September 18th no can do

Especially the wimmenz.

This is t'internetz - there are no wimmins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

September 18th no can do
    Im there :pac:

September 18th no can do
    Of course,tGC beers are for everyone.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Especially the wimmenz.
    Indeed.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    This is t'internetz - there are no wimmins.
    But beers happen in real life where there are plenty of wimmins and plunder to be had.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

September 18th no can do
    Sounds like a bit o' fun. I really ought to actually post around here though... Ah well, may see ye at this event for some of this so-called real life conversation I've been hearing so little about...

I expect you to juggle icecubes and beermats for our amusment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

September 18th no can do
    I expect you to juggle icecubes and beermats for our amusment. :)

Hah, ice cubes, very convenient. 'Hey, you dropped one!' 'No I didn't, it melted, all gone, see?' =P

In return I expect you to have a fine cigar and excellent moustache =P

September 18th no can do
    cocoa wrote: »
    Hah, ice cubes, very convenient. 'Hey, you dropped one!' 'No I didn't, it melted, all gone, see?' =P

In return I expect you to have a fine cigar and excellent moustache =P

Get a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just want to register my contentment with the naming of this event as a Box Social. Keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I recommend the US term of "box social" should be applied and all wimminz come with a box of food
    In the U.S. state of Vermont the tradition is that women decorate a cardboard box and fill it with a lunch or dinner for two. The men bid on the women's boxes anticipating a meal with the woman whose box it is. The bidding involves teasing, joking, and competition. The event frequently takes place in a town hall, school gymnasium, or church hall. The practice had fallen out of favor with young people in the 1970s–1990s, but has seen some resurgence in recent years. The rules today have become less rigid. Men now provide boxes as well, but the goal remains the same: raising money for a school, church, or civic project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd say I'll be free. Hope I can make it. Wanted to go to the last one but my stupid friend had her birthday taht day. Some people are so inconsiderate. :rolleyes:

September 18th no can do
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd say I'll be free. Hope I can make it. Wanted to go to the last one but my stupid friend had her birthday taht day. Some people are so inconsiderate. :rolleyes:

What a bitch.:mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

September 18th no can do
    What a bitch.:mad:

That's not very nice.

You've been told. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

September 18th possibly
    will have emigrated by then :( have fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

one question

will there be stripperez?

Only if I'm really really drunk.

/Starts Bump&Grind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I might be able to make this one :)

/Moonwalks out of thread

September 18th no can do
    Have we got any venue suggestions?

Harry Byrnes - Howth Road, 5-10 mins walk form Kilester Dart - (staggering home distance for me :cool:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

If it's somewhere more central then I might just go to this, my second boards beers ever, with the first being something like 6 or 7 years ago I think in some fancy place off Merrion Square.

I expect the final location will be a lot more central and my suggestion was a bit frivolous - but you can't blame a man for trying. :o

I can when you didn't try harder, you should have regaled us with tales of lusty wenches in your local where the pints are always pulled perfectly and the staff all look like they could have been a bond girl.

Then your frivolous suggestion would be considered with far more merit.

Those of us who know Harrys have no need to blow it's trumpet and those of ye who don't know Harrys are probably all southsiders and culchies anyway. :p

However, if you want a bit of enticement - It has Beer, toilets, chairs & tables, barstaff (of various genders ages and attractivness*), no music, TV's with the volume turned down and tuned to sporting events, a heated and spacious cigar area, a manned carpark and a fleet of taxis parked outside to ferry you back across the North/South divide.

If further enticement is required I shall reveal to all on the night a photograph of a stage act from a Burlesque show on the assumption that, as Gentlemen and because it is frowned upon in public houses, that Fapping shall not occur.

*Attractivness of the staff, tGC Boardsies and of other punters is directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed.

You had me on cigar area... almost, no music and that far on "da norfside" is a deal breaker for my desires, even with a nice fleet of taxis it would still cost me at least 50 to get home from there, and that's 50 I should be spending on more booze.

Somewhere central town would be more desirable, as long as no one mentions Dicey's Garden, I hate that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

September 18th no can do
    those of ye who don't know Harrys are probably all southsiders and culchies anyway. :p
    So it's a hole somewhere far up the northside? Bleh :(

Arriving from the west, so something cental would suit me better. Would say the White Horse, but there's no beer garden.

Maybe Slattery's Bar? Usually quite enough when I've been there (Friday nights), and last time I went past, they were applying for planning permission for a smoking area on the roof.

/edit
    Sent Slatterys an email asking about the roof, and how busy it'd be on the 18th.

• Advertisement

The 18th is a Saturday, Slattery's gets pretty busy on a Saturday doesn't it?

Are we talking about Slatterys Southside? En route to Lansdowne road?

That's the one I was thinking of, its either that or Rathmines which is also pretty busy on a Saturday I think?

Ha Ha, thats my local! Yeah it can get busy enough, smoking area has been extended out the front....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Those of us who know Harrys have no need to blow it's trumpet and those of ye who don't know Harrys are probably all southsiders and culchies anyway. :p
    I'm both! From Limerick but have lived in Dublin 4 for entirety of my 10 years in Dublin!
    Oooh, staggering distance home. Handy!

Edit: Not sure if Slattery's is really an appropriate venue for something entitled a box social, however!

• Advertisement

September 18th no can do
    No. Slatterys northside, on Capel Street. There is no beer garden at the front.

http://www.slatterysbarcapelstreet.com

Mulligans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

at this stage anywhere were there is beer and a smoking area I'm good for.

September 18th no can do
    Dr Galen wrote: »
    at this stage anywhere were there is beer and a smoking area I'm good for.
    Aye and once it's within walking distance of Westmore Street (nightlink).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

September 18th no can do
    I'd rather not have to venture past the canal on the south side... I get a bit edgy. Need to stay as close to the Northside as possible. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

September 18th no can do
    How about Porterhouse North?

It's up around Phibsboro area and has a nice big beer garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe somewhere near the river, as in a compromise?
    Smoking area is a big plus. dont smoke myself but they are dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Yourself

September 18th no can do
    I was trying to think of somewhere to suggest all day! Somewhere with a good atmosphere but not too busy, central, smoking area and late opening.

So I came up with Solas bar on Wexford St.

Open til 3am
    No cover charge
    takes bookings
    all weather rooftop terrace
    even serves food too!

September 18th no can do
    solas is a nice spot alrite and IIRC they have a rather nice cocktail list and a great smoking area too.it gets Neddys vote anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Yourself

September 18th no can do
    solas is a nice spot alrite and IIRC they have a rather nice cocktail list and a great smoking area too.it gets Neddys vote anyway!
    Yay! I did something useful with my brain today!

I noticed that too but I didn't want to suggest cocktails to all the man-ly men!

• Advertisement
Advertisement