Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cz 22 Bipod mounting problem

Options
  • 12-08-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone has come across this problem. I have a CZ 22 with a wooden stalk. The hole for the bipod holding screw is worn and when I try to tight up the bipod it just pulls the screw from the stalk. I was thinking on making my own and counter syncing it inside the stallk between the bore and using a nut on the end.

Did anyone have this problem and how did you solve it. Can you buy something with a nut on the end. I also tried filling it with various resins but they dont take well to wood.

thanks M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

what kind of bipod is it ??

Is it a harris that attaches to the front sling mount ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hi all,

I hope someone has come across this problem. I have a CZ 22 with a wooden stalk. The hole for the bipod holding screw is worn and when I try to tight up the bipod it just pulls the screw from the stalk. I was thinking on making my own and counter syncing it inside the stallk between the bore and using a nut on the end.

Did anyone have this problem and how did you solve it. Can you buy something with a nut on the end. I also tried filling it with various resins but they dont take well to wood.

thanks M

Sounds like you need a new stock, they can be bought cheap enough second had €20-30
    Any guys putting on an after market stock will have an old one lying around.

Not sure if Devcon might fill the hole and then drill and tap it with the self tapping sling swivel attachment.
    http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&family=10%20Minute%E2%84%A2%20Epoxy

Most gun dealers would have stocks for CZ's in stock as they are cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭mightyabhabelle

thanks Gents. No sure on the proxy but if the stalks are that cheap it might be the best option. Still because they are wood and the stalks tend to be old they might have the same problem and when I apply pressure to tighten the bipod, it comes free.

I was considering putting a few more screws in throught the bipod to the stalk but reckoned this might be a hatchet job. The bipod always seemed to loosen, I always seems to be tightening and there lies the problem your honour. I just want to fix it securely once and for all.

thanks Mick

ps yes GunHappy it attaches to the sling swivel. I bought a replacement one to see would it help and it didnt as the inside was wore on the stalk

duh, just had another brain wave and that was to drill another hole either in from of the orginal or behind it. The bipod will cover the old hole so it wouldnt look to bad.

However I am reluctant to do this in case it comes lose again. Do others use some glue or something also when tighting the bipod.

Thanks M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Its a possibility that oil reidue on the stock is preventing any epixies from bonding to the timber, clean the area will with a good solvent and sand lightly steel wool, the glue I use on wood it Weldwood Carpenters Wood Glue (i tested this a while ago and it is not affectes by gun oils or other products in future cleaning) find a suitable plug and glue it in place
    you may need to enlarge the screw sink for this

• Advertisement

thanks 4gun. No its just the bore hole for the sling stud is wore. I think I found a solution that might work and I also know another lad with the same problem except his stalk is fibre glass. Heres the URL

http://www.dighawaii.com/ProjectsPage/Harris%20Bipod%20Installation.htm

So the adatper is a Harris and I would repeat the procedure at the end that he refined it. I would carve out some of the wood between the stalk and the barrel to counter sink the plate and instead of using the proxy I could drill 2 holds in the plate and screw it to the stalk from inside the stalk... if you know what I mean. This way the plate wont move and I can put as much pressure as I like to get it secure.

Any comments. Oh would you use a glue between the bipod and the stalk or just let the adatper do its job in putting on the pressure.

thanks M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Wheres CliveJ?

I think he had this problem before.

Hold tight he won't be far away with advice on how he sorted it ;)

thanks Bunny... so if clive doesnt show... I,m going for plan B and get rid of the stalk completely and use this set up

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0034775227757a.shtml

see video below... some fire power... might have to wait for the rabbits to some to me though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw970lgZjUo

Just dont know what type of license to ask the supper for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Is it a bird, is it a plane no it's Super CJ. :D

OK when I had my CZ style with the synthetic stock the first time I put the bi-pod on I managed to tighten it so far as to pull the front swivel out of the stock. I fixed it by drilling a hole in the same place as the original from the INSIDE of the stock BUT not all the way through just leaving enough of the stock so as the epoxy that I filled up the hole with would not flow out. I used quick setting Alredite epoxy.

The drilled hole was about 8mm or 10mm. Now I put the swivel back in the stock, with a little release agent on the thread - shoe polish will do any colour, another reason to leave a little of the stock un-drilled is to keep the swivel in place. Mix up the epoxy and put in the hole around the swivel thread and leave to set. All will be OK now and you can still remove the swivel if you need to.

Another tip is to heat the epoxy up with a hair dryer to make the epoxy flow better ie. make it more runny.

all the best
    cj from KK

ah CJ... top thinking, even using the polish as a release so you can remove it. This will sort my mates gun out as he has the same setup.

I have a wooden stalk and I dont think the epoxy will stick to the wood as well. If I cant get the adapter as in the link I had below, then Its option 2 and I will drill a new hole... after all the stalks are cheap and the orginal hole wont be seen.

Thanks all for the input... time to stop talking and do some stalking... well as in stalk fixing and not hanging outside super stars houses :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Pedantic Pat time,

Stock - Synthetic/wooden piece that the action and barrel, etc attach to. Belonging to a firearm, i.e rifle, shotgun, etc.

Stalk - The stem of a plant, To pursue creepingly,

(get restraining order against. You can ask clivej about that too ................. LOL :D:p)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

lol.. thnks ez.. really glad you put me right.

I get confused sometimes and was going to reply using the pural of 'Stock' but when I wiki'ed it... I learned how important on a Gun board it is to not only use the right term but to spell it right also...

'A stocking, sometimes referred to as hose, is a close-fitting, variously elastic garment covering the foot and lower part of the leg. Stockings vary in color, design and transparency.
    Today, stockings are primarily worn by women for fashion and aesthetics. They are not worn for any warmth benefit. They are also sometimes worn by men, and in cross-dressing and fetishism.'

Wouldnt want to send out the wrong signals now.. lesson learnt - rgds M:)

ah CJ... top thinking, even using the polish as a release so you can remove it. This will sort my mates gun out as he has the same setup.

I have a wooden stalk and I dont think the epoxy will stick to the wood as well. If I cant get the adapter as in the link I had below, then Its option 2 and I will drill a new hole... after all the stalks are cheap and the orginal hole wont be seen.

Thanks all for the input... time to stop talking and do some stalking... well as in stalk fixing and not hanging outside super stars houses :-)

Your wrong there as the epoxy will stick to your wooden stock like sh!te to a blanket and will do the job for you perfectly.
    And you won't get a replacement stock for anywhere like €20-€40 even if second hand.
    I expect a full report back here on your fixed stock within the week. :D

alright CJ... I'm putting the drill away and doing it your way first. Full report next week on this. thanks M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

lol.. thnks ez.. really glad you put me right.

Was not trying to "correct" you from a smart a** point of view. Just informing you, thats all.
    I get confused sometimes and was going to reply using the pural of 'Stock' but when I wiki'ed it... I learned how important on a Gun board it is to not only use the right term but to spell it right also...

'A stocking, sometimes referred to as hose, is a close-fitting, variously elastic garment covering the foot and lower part of the leg. Stockings vary in color, design and transparency.
    Today, stockings are primarily worn by women for fashion and aesthetics. They are not worn for any warmth benefit. They are also sometimes worn by men, and in cross-dressing and fetishism.'

Wouldnt want to send out the wrong signals now.. lesson learnt - rgds M:)

That would be .......................... uh ...................... wrong, in so many ways. Good call to check before youposted. :D;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ah ez, no offence taken at all and didnt think you where being smart in any way... appreciate the info, the help and the humour... rgd M

now off to find the mad dog glue that sticks to blankets.

clivej wrote: »
    Your wrong there as the epoxy will stick to your wooden stock like sh!te to a blanket and will do the job for you perfectly.
    And you won't get a replacement stock for anywhere like €20-€40 even if second hand.
    I expect a full report back here on your fixed stock within the week. :D

well what more can I say than CliveJ was bang on. The hair dryer trick was top and boys is that bipod mounted now alright. Thanks for all the help and advice on this... much appreciated.. Might

well what more can I say than CliveJ was bang on. The hair dryer trick was top and boys is that bipod mounted now alright. Thanks for all the help and advice on this... much appreciated.. Might

Well i hope my cheque is in the post.
    Good hear it worked ok. Now get out there and use it, ATB clive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Sounds like you need a new stock, they can be bought cheap enough second had €20-30
    Any guys putting on an after market stock will have an old one lying around.

I'm looking for a second stock for my CZ. Any Idea where you are seeing those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

maglite wrote: »
    I'm looking for a second stock for my CZ. Any Idea where you are seeing those prices.

I know of a lad who up and down gets second hand stocks as owner is upgrading (some are spotless)

Any lad who puts on a new stock has an old one spare.

Did you try a Boyds stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

What I'm looking for is just something to play with, widen the forend, flatten it out a bit, throw in an adjustable cheek rest.

Don't want to mess up a good stock though. Wonder how on the cheep I can do this.

ps. if you have contact details it would be great

hi Maglite,

I have no where near the knowledge or expertise that the other members have as I'm a newbie but I did come across this site if you are looking for something special.

http://www.laminategunstocks.co.uk/index.cfm

My own Cz had only fired 20 rounds when I got it but it was 5 years old and lot of scratches. I was going to upgrade it to a .223 but now I think I will keep it for another year but pimp it a bit and put a stock on it.

rgds M

ps... not sure on the prices thought but they look great

Advertisement