Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't lose belly fat! :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I have a quick, hi-jacking question that someone might be able to clarify for me.

I've heard(:rolleyes: worst sentence starter..) that sustained high cortisol levels lead to fat storage in the abdominal area. So I'm just wondering, if you are under a lot of stress would you be predisposed to storing 'belly fat'.

Basically what I'm asking is...if you are quite stressed would you store excess fat in the belly area..or would this only be in extreme circumstances?Or is the reason for storage for fat that someone under stress may overeat?

And then out of curiousity..what about if you were 'stressing' your body doing lots of intervals or high volume training, would this cause belly fat storage?

Sorry for the hi-jacking:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

My knowledge of the role of the endocrine system in fat storage isn't quite textbook perfect but my understanding of it is that yes, cortisol can contribute towards fat depositing - the two hormones that predominantly get produced during times of stress are adrenaline (acute stress) and cortisol (chronic stress). Adrenaline prepares the body for the 'fight or flight' reaction and leads to an increased metabolism to liberate energy quickly whereas cortisol helps aid the body reserve energy via fat storage.

But unless you have a major hormonal imbalance it's rare for cortisol elevation to be the primary culprit for fat storage and I'd look at normal training/ diet parameters before worrying about that. There's probably also something in the different types of fat that's stored. Maybe someone with a stronger biochem background could shed some light - where's mloc?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Don't let a little fat get you down. :)

From what you have told us you live a very healthy lifestyle. Congratulations. :D

I wish you the best of luck and hope your happy in the end because that's the most important thing. To be happy with one's self. Not to impress others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

g'em wrote: »
    99% of the time if either sex puts on weight it's down to diet :p men and women don't have big bums and thighs and bellies because of oestrogen, they have them because they eat too much of te wrong things and don't exercise enough. It really isn't much more complicated than that.

Get your diet in order and your hormones will sort themselves out of their own accord :)
    Totally agreee, many people look for over complicated reasons to a very simple answer i.e. do what i discuss in my article and do it often.

http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/banish-your-belly-fat-now/

Overall, if someone comes to me and they have what they believe to be too much fat in their stomach and they are not already doing what i discuss in the above article then they might need to look at some additional points but for the vast majority the other areas of the body are going to be scoring high on body fat scores also. NO different than a guy with moobs as a problem area.

http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/moobs-get-cut-up-or-get-cut-up/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

What kind of exercises or equipment can be used for resistance training for my tummy? Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

fifomania wrote: »
    What kind of exercises or equipment can be used for resistance training for my tummy? Thanks again :)
    lunges, press ups, deadlifts, squats, inverted rows, etc

full body workouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eortega

Have you tried incorporating my favorite tool for losing belly fat; the jump rope?

There are so many people who hate using it but once you get the hang of it, it's so much fun to use! Plus, it offers the perfect blend of variation to challenge the body. You can turn slow and then fast which has done wonders for me for burning belly fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

sit ups. lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'd say the pill could be partly to blame. Its hormonal so can affect fat storage. The opposite to being on steroids basically.

Though until you post more info its anyones guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yeah try the couch2onethousand situps program

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Transform wrote: »
    Yes read this as it has it all answered in the article - Banish your belly flab now -

http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/banish-your-belly-fat-now/

For the record its not that cycling does not target the area you want and has way more to do with an incorrect program and diet

If god exists, it's this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Transform wrote: »
    Yes read this as it has it all answered in the article - Banish your belly flab now -

For the record its not that cycling does not target the area you want and has way more to do with an incorrect program and diet

the above is a great article and a real help to those that are new to the area of fitness and diet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

That is indeed a very interesting article [that website has many of them]. Im *just* over the .9 hip/waist ratio [.90.1]. More work to do then :)

Out of interest before I started loosing weight in the summer my ratio was exactly even, so 1.0 I guess :)

That is indeed a very interesting article [that website has many of them]. Im *just* over the .9 hip/waist ratio [.90.1]. More work to do then :)

Out of interest before I started loosing weight in the summer my ratio was exactly even, so 1.0 I guess :)
    good job on the weight loss and its important for everyone to remember that it took time to put on undesired weight so that weight is not going to come off quite as quick as we would all like - consistency is key

Advertisement