Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's good about Dublin?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

There's been a few threads lately about bad aspects of Dublin - junkies, lack of amenities etc. So I thought it would be nice to start a thread for people to say what they love about the city, just to remind us all why we still choose to live here!

I love walking along the canal and then down Camden Street towards temple bar on a sunny Saturday.

I also love having a hot chocolate in the IFI before watching a movie there on a cold Wintery night.

I also love people watching outside Grogans on a sunny afternoon (despite being asked for change every 10-15 minutes)

There's loads more but that's just to get started

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The climate believe it or not..try Athens in summer or Prague in winter to get an idea of how relatively lucky we are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm in Central Europe at the minute and missing the predictability of the Irish climate..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I love the way you can go out any night of the week and find a bit of craic or live music etc...
    I like the proximity to beaches/mountains. Means if there's nice weather you can always go somewhere nice to relax.
    I like the fact that it's fairly multicultural and I work with and meet people from all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The city centre is tightly packed and walkable, as well as being in easy reach of nature. Always lots of people around, and something to do.

Despite lots of visible beggars and junkies and the like, it's still a safe city to go out in at night, and walk around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohemian FC!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Within a short distance of the centre you have Europe's largest urban park.
    I go jogging some mornings and the deer are out and about. Watching me huff and puff :p

A cycle lane pretty much the entire way out to Howth Hill. Reach the summit and you watch the ferries enter and leave the port. Fantastic views and so accesible from the city centre.

It's very walkable, you can get around the city very easily.
    Climate is mild, we don't get -5 degrees but we don't get uncomfortable 35 degrees either. It's mild, and it rains a lot less then people think it does. Now and again we get extremes but not often
    I cycle to work, you can count on one hand the amount of times you need rain gear per month. People exaggerate the rainfall here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

cosmic wrote: »
    There's been a few threads lately about bad aspects of Dublin - junkies, lack of amenities etc. So I thought it would be nice to start a thread for people to say what they love about the city, just to remind us all why we still choose to live here!

I love walking along the canal and then down Camden Street towards temple bar on a sunny Saturday.

I also love having a hot chocolate in the IFI before watching a movie there on a cold Wintery night.

I also love people watching outside Grogans on a sunny afternoon (despite being asked for change every 10-15 minutes)

The sense of friendliness and community around the city esp in working class areas. Also peoples sense of humour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bigswede12

cosmic wrote: »

GUINESS

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

The phoenix park, i live next to it and love to go walking/jogging in it and go to the zoo occassionally as well :) The one thing i love above all else in about Dublin is that there are rock bars, yes thye might be dingy and not the best lit but they are somewhere I can get ok priced alcohol and shake my booty to some disturbed or NIN :) I always miss that about Dublin when I go to live in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Easy access to the sea and mountains

Some lovely places to walk around the city, if not the city centre. There's still some charm left despite the councils best efforts.

Small enough to walk around, the strong possibility of bumping into people you know.

Not a bad oul selection of pubs.

It's not hard to find quiet, almost abandoned, nooks and crannies..if a little dangerous.

The faint possibility of bumping into other dubs :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Seeing the marks of history on the city, like the GPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Garda Helicopter :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Thursday evenings when late shopping hours are just finishing up. People heading home, people really beginning to think about, and get into the swing of the weekend. Everything seems a million times more light-hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The friendliness, beaches, Islands, Dublin bay, Dublin bay prawns, dolphins. The weather, Dublin bikes, massive wildlife reserves a few clicks away from the city, peregrine falcons in the city center. IIdyllic parks, free museums and galleries, just walk in! Cheap food, cheap sneaky pints in the city center after work, the Liffey swim, the atmosphere of a Dublin pub. The ethnic markets, the fast food joints, the way the pedestrian lights are just there as a formality. The Liffey otters, the canals branching out to the country North and South. The Dart, the girls who aren't afraid to smile at you, the climbers on Dalkey quarry, the paddlers on the river, the sailors on the bay, the kite surfers screaming along the coast, every type of animal carcass in butchers windows, Guinness at a window with a paper watching the world go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Nemi

Collins Barracks Museum and the Secret Book and Record Store on Wicklow Street.

The view from the train over the Loop Line Bridge. And the Loop Line Bridge itself. I've never figured why some think its an eyesore.

The Natural History Museum - the atmosphere in the place is so old, you expect Charles Darwin to emerge from behind a display case. Pity you can't get up on its gallery any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Seeing the marks of history on the city, like the GPO.
    Only thinking about that the other day, walking past the Shelborne hotel and seeing no bullet holes in it but plenty in the College of Surgeons. The hotel would have been done up a few times and the front of the college is stone work.
    What I like about Dublin is the things you might walk past every day but a chance glance brings it to your attention. Can't give example, it's more a personal thing :D
    I do love this city though, with all its faults and junkies :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Cinemas, sure they all show the exact movies as each other but there's a better selection than some crap town in the country has!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

everything on the east coast south of lansdowne and north of shankill

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good man Ross!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

The whole area just south of Temple Bar. In other words, the area between Dame St. and Stephen's Green. I absolutely detest Temple Bar and always tell tourists to avoid it.
    I've recommend going towards George's St., Exchequer St., Wicklow St., South William St. and Grafton St. The best pubs and restaurants are here. Favourite pub is The Old Stand. Favourite restaurant is the Trocadero. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The late night and 24 hour shops. No matter what time of the night it is, you can always find somewhere nearby to get the bare essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

the festivals which are becoming more regular. when its good its hard to beat. does anybody know if octoberfest is happening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Guinness, and the way you can smell the brewery wafting over the city when the wind is right.

Dublin Bikes. So so handy.. use them nearly every day.

Phoenix Park. Such a wonderful amenity to have in a City. Beautiful all year round, and alive with wildlife and well, humans!

The Liffey. Focal and reference point for the city. You also have the boardwalk there, which, despite all the complaints re junkies, is a lovely place to sit on a sunny day.

The Luas. I rarely use it, but find it dam handy when I do. I also love seeing it pass by, and hearing the bell.

Walkability. Everyone says it. You can walk right accross the city in a short space of time. It's probably the one thing I miss the most when I'm in other cities.

Barmen. In local pubs, being able to banter with the barman is a big plus. You don't get it so much in larger bars.

Markets. Temple Bar, Meath Street, Moore Street etc.. I love just wandering around them, maybe picking up some food on the go.

Poolbeg Towers. I love how you could be just tottering along, nowhere near Poolbeg, and suddenly, there they are in the distance. Standing proud. I hope they never get pulled down.

The Spire. I don't care what anyone says. I love it :D

Cinemas. Screen, Savoy, Cineworld, IFC, Lighthouse.. all great cinemas, and all in close proximity to each other.

Temple Bar. I try to stay away from it on the weekends, but on a Monday evening around 9pm, it's a whole different experience. Peaceful, with the smells of food, and the sound of acoustic guitars echoing out of the pubs.

Flat. The city is so flat, great for jogging, walking, cycling..

Dublin Wit. It's unique. Can take some getting used to if you're new to the city, but if you get onto the same wavelength, then there's no stopping ya!

Good man Ross!:rolleyes:

deal with it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

deal with it:rolleyes:

Well sorry but a contribution of

Is either just a bad attempt at WUMing or just a very naive comment. Also that area/region you mentioned isn't Dublin City so really shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

PKen wrote: »
    The whole area just south of Temple Bar. In other words, the area between Dame St. and Stephen's Green. I absolutely detest Temple Bar and always tell tourists to avoid it.
    I've recommend going towards George's St., Exchequer St., Wicklow St., South William St. and Grafton St. The best pubs and restaurants are here. Favourite pub is The Old Stand. Favourite restaurant is the Trocadero. :pac:

I've thought for a while that with a little initiative from the Dublin Corporation Council, that area could become what Temple Bar should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

sron wrote: »
    I've thought for a while that with a little initiative from the Dublin Corporation Council, that area could become what Temple Bar should have been.

Don't know? The jury's out on that one. There are merits in what you're saying. It would be great to have a proper Cultural Quarter in Dublin.
    But my fear is that: once you make an area "Officially Trendy", it could be the kiss of death. :eek:

Well sorry but a contribution of

Is either just a bad attempt at WUMing or just a very naive comment. Also that area/region you mentioned isn't Dublin City so really shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

tell me that i'm wrong...not much people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

tell me that i'm wrong

You are wrong. Just cause you don't like Temple Bar doesn't mean it's crap. Yeah, after eleven on a Saturday night it's not my scene, but during the day it can be great, good market, organic fruit and veg (and not that expensive at all if you go for the deals), good cafes there too. During the week it can be great for a nice pint and some people watching. Sometimes on a Thursday there is a great atmosphere there after late night shopping. I know it's "not cool" to like Temple Bar, but sometimes it's a great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

sron wrote: »

Temple Bar is so amazing, people tend to avoid the pubs at night, and just pass through it during the day. There are over FIFTY cultural organisations in the area, which stretches from Fleet Street way up to the edge of Christchurch. Tons of quiet, free entry, contemporary art galleries, displaying Irish and international talent.

On-going in August link

Check out their blog, and sign up to the newsletter.

Things I love about Dublin -
    walk anywhere in city centre in about 20 mins
    Epicurian food hall
    Loads of music venues
    Stephen's Green Park
    Phoenix Park
    Loads of small galleries
    The IFI

Advertisement