Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre-school assistant

Options
  • 12-08-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi,

my 3.5 year old boy has a speech delay and a comprehension delay he is under the care of the early intervention services, he is being seen by

speech therapist
    early intervention educator - group and 1to1
    waitlisted for psychology
    waitlisted for asd assessment

He got given a preschool assistant for 2 days a week, the preschool where he is to attend in September only want to take him on days the has the preschool assistant. they get paid to take him for 5 days, so i said for the other 3 days i will come in with him if they wont have him on his own, they are not impressed with that and said they will look into it with the department/s. if they refuse to take him for the 5 days i WILL go with him for the other 3, but i think it would do him good to send him on his own for the 3 days and this will take away his crutch of his own personal assistants and this in turn will force him to talk.

Since being assessed over a year ago he really has improved i find little evidence of an asd and probably think its more adhd, surly a preschool could handle this, dont they handle difficult kids every day. His comprehension has improved the only thing where he might act up is during a group session (but dont kids do that anyway).

They wont take him on the 1st of September and told me to bring him on the Monday morning (the 4th day of pre school, he will have missed out on 3 days ) (this is the day his assistant is assigned to be with him). I think if they gave him the chance he would do ok on his own, but they are scared he will act up. I feel like telling them to shove the assistant and treat him like any other child first off.

I thought the idea of getting him an assistant was to give him 1 on 1 for 2 days so he could improve his speech (his only real major issue).

Any thoughts?

*There was a boy in the same preschool last year who did nothing the teachers asked and was wild as a tiger and he had no assistant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Maybe you could meet them half way and stay with him for the first day to prove he'll be fine? Otherwise just make them have him on the first day, you know him better than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

They wont take him on the first day or the second day or have me there with him on the first and second day i quote' WERE TO BUSY TO TAKE HIM' basically wait until the 4 th day when the pre school assistant is there.

what a pain in the ass!

They do have a sort of free day on Saturday the 28th of August where you can go in and have a look around, i might leave it till then and insist they take him as they are paid by the government to take him and if need be i'll stay with him, i dont think they could really back down then even if they said they are too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

It's probably a bit late for this but how about trying a different pre-school if it's possible? It sounds like to me if you're having this much hassle with them already that you could have an uphill struggle ahead of you with this particular pre-school. I would just be afraid that it might have a negative affect on the care they will be giving your son in the pre-school.

I was thinking that too, but i say its too late, I have to contact a few people on monday and if i dont get what i am looking for, i will try to change his pre-school but i recon all the places will be gone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe they just don't have the resources to deal with his extra needs and are afraid the teacher will have to give him a lot of extra time at the expense of the other children?

• Advertisement

I can see where your coming from, and total understand that but he does not need full time care and attention, he made need 2 mins here and there, the pre school assistant is really there to help him to learn to talk and maybe help him when he gets distressed (dont all kids get distressed at 3), i don't expect the teachers to help him with his speech, i expect them to do with him as they do the other kids no extra treatment what so ever.

If he cries deal with it as they would any other child, his not retarded, his toilet trained, washes his hands and dries them, ok he cant say 'can i go to the toilet' he just says wee-wees and does it all himself never wets himself. He may get distracted from group activities but dont all 3 year olds get bored.

I was talking to his summer camp teacher today and she said there are a few small issues but nothing major, she wouldn't have know he had issues if i had not informed her before hand, only his speech/language delay stood out.

Its normal for all kids to be difficult at times.

Advertisement