Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Revis really the key to the success of the Jets?

• 12-08-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Darrelle Revis is obviously the elite corner back in the NFL but if he holds out for the season, highly unlikely I know, how does it really affect the Jets and their ambitions for the year.

With Revis on the field the Jets are unquestionably the elite defence in the NFL but what sort of a drop off does this team suffer without him? I think they go from being an exceptional defence to a very good defence. They have a good pass rush with players like Calvin Pace, Rex Ryans defensive scheme will ensure they are ball hawks on defence with or without Revis so I find it tough to see how they go from being so good to middle of the road without him.

In the NFL you live and die on your quarterbacks arm and in Mark Sanchez the Jets need a sizeable step forward if they are too legitimatly call themselves Superbowl contenders. How many teams win with a sub par passer? The Bucs had a career 61% passer that didnt turn the ball over (22 TDs and only 6 INTS) the Ravens had Trent Dilfer who completed 60% in his 8 games as a starter. Beyond that you have to look at Mark Rypien with the 87 Skins to find another recent middle of the road passer to lead a team to the superbowl.

Sanchez was a rookie last year so some of his inexperience was to be expected but this team needs him to take a massive leap forward if they are too contend. The second year is always tougher for a QB at this level, defences have a full year of game film to help gameplan against you but Sanchez was a 53% passer last year and that needs to jump way upto around 60-62 for him to be a legitimate player for his team. Last season He had 12 TDs and 20 INTS last season combined with 10 fumbles so its clear to see that ball security and accuracy are issues for him.

The Jets play smashmouth football, they run it, run it, run it and then run it some more. If Sanchez cant complete his passes, and turns the ball over so much, it grounds this offence to a halt. In his last regular season game his average pass was for 3.9 yards. I'll grant that in the playoffs he performed better and helped his team but I cant see how this, superbowl ready team, can challenge for the title with a sub par QB, that hasnt shown the ability to play within himself and do what Johnston did for the Bucs. For me the Revis situation is irrelevant until this side sorts out their performance at the games most important position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bobo the clown

I agree with your pint on the quaterback situation and that Sanchez needs to improve for them to be a superbowl contender. But Revis is a shutdown corner. Quaterbacks will not throw in his direction for the majority of the game. He makes the other cb look better. If he doesnt play and its Cromartie and wilson starting I can see there defense not being very good. IE going from an excellent D to a Good D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Revis is their key 100%. Their whole defensive system will have to change if he is not on the field. Their Pass rush contained 1 more man than normal because they knew Revis had his man locked they could commit an extra man to that dominant rush.

Take Revis out of there and put in a CB that can get beat more often you will have to put an extra man in coverage to help out the secondary to help over the top.

Revis is by far the best CB in the NFL right know and gave up what 1 TD all season long? Even the best WR have commented on how hard he is to beat.

Cromartie now strengthens up one side but having both of them back there with a solid safety over top and they can dominate once again. Revis was one of the main reasons why that defense was so good. The pressure they put on their opponents was down to their gameplan and putting their fait in the fact Revis has shut down the best offensive WR on the field.

Now sure their offense needs a lot of work and it could be their downfall as to why they don't win in the playoffs or the bowl but take away Revis and you have to change the whole gameplan and they might now be as effective.

So yes in short Revis is one of the main Ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Revis is their key 100%. .....So yes in short Revis is one of the main Ingredients.

Don't get me wrong Tallaght I know Revis is a fantastic player but I really think that unless they can get production from Sanchez it all becomes irrelevant if Revis plays or not, they won't win the Superbowl which has to be, and is legitimatly, their goal for the season.

I was making the point not to belittle what Revis has accomplished in the last few seasons but more because lots of reports I've read on the Jets has said that "if Revis plays the Jets will win the AFC" and things like that. I understand what youre saying about the performance of this defence without Revis but Rex Ryan has consistently been able to find players to perfectly suit his schemes, his Baltimore teams plugged players into gaps and got terrific production so I can see something along those lines occuring if Revis isnt playing.

You're 100% right to say that Revis is one of the main ingrediants to the success of the Jets but I think that without question its much more important for them to have some dependable production from Sanchez(just noted the heading of this thread, I meant to say: Is Revis really THE key to Jets success. Sorry for any confusion!)

frostie500 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong Tallaght I know Revis is a fantastic player but I really think that unless they can get production from Sanchez it all becomes irrelevant if Revis plays or not, they won't win the Superbowl which has to be, and is legitimatly, their goal for the season.

I 100% agree with you on the fact they need Sanchez on top form. I have been saying it since the playoffs last season. While Revis would be considered the main key Sanchez is definitely needed in the soup to make it tasty. But you take Revis out of that soup and it will become bland again. It is one big vicious circle.

The way I see it you have Revis in the team and Sanchez becomes your main key ingredient then. Take Revis out and you have problems on both sides of the ball and no matter how Sanchez steps it up their defense wont have the same push it had last season.

So I do see your point you are right for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Revis is their key 100%. Their whole defensive system will have to change if he is not on the field. Their Pass rush contained 1 more man than normal because they knew Revis had his man locked they could commit an extra man to that dominant rush.

Take Revis out of there and put in a CB that can get beat more often you will have to put an extra man in coverage to help out the secondary to help over the top.

Revis is by far the best CB in the NFL right know and gave up what 1 TD all season long? Even the best WR have commented on how hard he is to beat.
    Tallaght hits the nail on the head here, Revis is so good you send extra defenders and use blitz packages all day long.

Only guy that comes close to him is Asomugha but his performance all last season was just epic. I always rated Deoin Sanders as one of the two best players I've seen playing the game and Revis last year was just like him and you don't know how much it kills me to say that with him being a Jet.:(

He is so good that all the rest of them have to do is blitz or stuff the run. An elite quarterback will get you places but a defender like Revis really negates a top QB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Let's remember, the jets are a 9-7 team, and thanks to the Colts lifting their foot off, they'd have missed the play-offs.

There's a lot of hype about them, and there have been a few tweaks to the side, but without their best player, they'll be distinctly average, i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I always think people are being harsh on the Jets when they call them over-hyped. I think they've done awfully well to justify their position. This is a team who led the league in 3 of the 6 main categories in team statistics last year - Rushing Yards For, Passing Yards Against and Total Yards Against. Sure, the latter 2 are down to Darrelle Revis, but he is their player so you can't exactly say "Oh well if it wasn't for Revis". That's like saying the Colts would be average if it weren't for Manning. Revis is their star guy, I'd go as far as to say he's pound-for-pound the best player in the NFL right now. They have amazing talent on both sides of the team, and they've gone a long way to answering the questions people asked of them this season. What if Revis gets hurt? They brought in Cromartie and drafted Kyle Wilson (amazing talent). What about losing Thomas Jones? Shonn Greene is a better RB, he proved that in the playoffs. What about Sanchez lack of options? They brought in Santonio Holmes as a go-to guy. And what about Sanchez himself? Well, he'll have a better running game behind him, he has more options, and now he has more experience to go with it. I thought he did very well in the playoffs last year, and that's a big ask from a rookie QB. Sure, he's into that infamous second season now, but by all accounts, he's had a very impressive training camp thus far. I like the Jets to definitely make the playoffs again, and the Superbowl if things go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

davyjose wrote: »
    Let's remember, the jets are a 9-7 team, and thanks to the Colts lifting their foot off, they'd have missed the play-offs.

There's a lot of hype about them, and there have been a few tweaks to the side, but without their best player, they'll be distinctly average, i reckon.

Yeah but they had a first year QB who, as you would expect, made a lot of rookie errors and cost them some games.
    If he steps up this year than they will be a lot better and a whole more consistent assuming Revis comes back.

It's a big if though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its hard to tell.

He clearly had a rediculous year last year but lets be honest one swallow doesnt make a summer. Im really interested to see what he does this year assuming he doesnt hold out.

last year as was pointed out he allowed the Jets put an extra man in the box and was the key to their success.

Right now Id want to see him do it for another year before paying him too much garanteed money and I think the Jets so some degree are thinking the same thing.

you gotta love the unpredictability of the NFL though. Players form can fluctuate so much season to season who knows.

what i would say is that the Jets will be strong at corner you would think with Wilson and Cromartie in the mix even if Revis holds out or has a bad one

i dont think their a bowl team just yet though but in 2-3 seasons they might be

Archimedes wrote: »
    I always think people are being harsh on the Jets when they call them over-hyped. I think they've done awfully well to justify their position. This is a team who led the league in 3 of the 6 main categories in team statistics last year - Rushing Yards For, Passing Yards Against and Total Yards Against. Sure, the latter 2 are down to Darrelle Revis, but he is their player so you can't exactly say "Oh well if it wasn't for Revis". That's like saying the Colts would be average if it weren't for Manning. Revis is their star guy, I'd go as far as to say he's pound-for-pound the best player in the NFL right now. They have amazing talent on both sides of the team, and they've gone a long way to answering the questions people asked of them this season. What if Revis gets hurt? They brought in Cromartie and drafted Kyle Wilson (amazing talent). What about losing Thomas Jones? Shonn Greene is a better RB, he proved that in the playoffs. What about Sanchez lack of options? They brought in Santonio Holmes as a go-to guy. And what about Sanchez himself? Well, he'll have a better running game behind him, he has more options, and now he has more experience to go with it. I thought he did very well in the playoffs last year, and that's a big ask from a rookie QB. Sure, he's into that infamous second season now, but by all accounts, he's had a very impressive training camp thus far. I like the Jets to definitely make the playoffs again, and the Superbowl if things go their way.

First Pats fan I have ever heard wanting the Jets to get to the playoffs or win it all :eek:

Thing is though I respect your post and you are right in some ways but isn't this thread about Revis being the Key to their success? And not about the Jets being over hyped?

Lets face it without him that defense will have to change and I just don't see it being that strong defense we saw last season.

As for the matter of their offense they have the WR and they have an outstanding O-line who will get the backs yards but right now it most definitely hinges on Sanchez. You can't blame all his downfalls last season solely on his WR. His inexperience is definitely the majority of the reason and the other part is an argument that has been done in other threads.

But that defense changes and doesn't have Revis they will find it hard getting to the playoffs. Revis isn't superman but what he gives the Jets is balance and the ability to commit players elsewhere.

• Advertisement

First Pats fan I have ever heard wanting the Jets to get to the playoffs or win it all :eek:

I said I like them to reach the playoffs, not that I would like them to reach the playoffs. Don't do that to me, that's the worst form of slander! :pac:
    Thing is though I respect your post and you are right in some ways but isn't this thread about Revis being the Key to their success? And not about the Jets being over hyped?

Lets face it without him that defense will have to change and I just don't see it being that strong defense we saw last season.

As for the matter of their offense they have the WR and they have an outstanding O-line who will get the backs yards but right now it most definitely hinges on Sanchez. You can't blame all his downfalls last season solely on his WR. His inexperience is definitely the majority of the reason and the other part is an argument that has been done in other threads.

But that defense changes and doesn't have Revis they will find it hard getting to the playoffs. Revis isn't superman but what he gives the Jets is balance and the ability to commit players elsewhere.

I completely agree. Without Revis, I don't think they have a shot. They're counting on him to basically shut down an entire side of the field for a whole game. No other CB in the league apart from Asomugha is capable of doing that. Not sure why I went off on a tangent about the Jets as a whole, I guess Im just saying that with Revis, they're a genuine Superbowl contender. He's that important to them.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I said I like them to reach the playoffs, not that I would like them to reach the playoffs. Don't do that to me, that's the worst form of slander! :pac:

:D It was too easy I had to pass comment on it. Damn you foiling my plans.

:D It was too easy I had to pass comment on it. Damn you foiling my plans.

<Insert bigDOAF apology demand reference here>

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was a good attempt Tallaght:D I think you needed to go a little harder to get to here though

222297542_0bff00b84b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

frostie500 wrote: »

Sanchez was a rookie last year so some of his inexperience was to be expected but this team needs him to take a massive leap forward if they are too contend. The second year is always tougher for a QB at this level, defences have a full year of game film to help gameplan against you but Sanchez was a 53% passer last year and that needs to jump way upto around 60-62 for him to be a legitimate player for his team. Last season He had 12 TDs and 20 INTS last season combined with 10 fumbles so its clear to see that ball security and accuracy are issues for him.

The Jets play smashmouth football, they run it, run it, run it and then run it some more. If Sanchez cant complete his passes, and turns the ball over so much, it grounds this offence to a halt. In his last regular season game his average pass was for 3.9 yards. I'll grant that in the playoffs he performed better and helped his team but I cant see how this, superbowl ready team, can challenge for the title with a sub par QB, that hasnt shown the ability to play within himself and do what Johnston did for the Bucs. For me the Revis situation is irrelevant until this side sorts out their performance at the games most important position.

I think that's a bit unfair to Sanchez. He was a rookie in a very big franchise that trust him with guiding their season and he did one hell of a job considering the situation. To get to the play offs will have done him good to expose him to that top level football so he now knows whats required of him come this season.

Im sure with that experience under his belt plus being more familiar with the Jets play book he ll do pretty well this season. Realistically i can see his Pass% go to 58 for the season possibly higher if things go his way.

Advertisement