Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Help Needed

Options
  • 12-08-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I'm wondering if someone could help me with a few issues I'm having with my Xbox (The original not the 360).

When I got hold of a second hand Xbox last year I noticed it had a feature on the bottom of it that made it looked like it was modified.

Trouble is I'm not sure if its 'Soft-modded' or 'Hard-modded'

I tried experimenting with it and attempted attaching a USB key to it. As the Xbox doesn't house a USB port I had to make one myself. Initally I made one by soldering two wires together to make a makeshift USB cable that could be plugged into one of the USB ports.

Although it detected my USB key it said it did not recognise it and promptly deleted all that was on the USB key. I decided to purchase a cable over the web but again it did the same thing.

b8r7l5.jpg

The image above is a rough description of the chip that is attatched to the base of the console.

My question is why can't the console detect my USB key without it deleting all that it contains?

The second problem I have is trying to get it to recognise any DVDs I run.

The Idea is that I would like to install an emulator to run via a disc (as shown here) and here.

I've tried several different methods of getting the console to run this application but to no avail.

Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

From the pic you have there it definitely looks like a chip install. My old Xbox has an Xecuter3 chip, with a little console on the fron like that, allowing me several different options.

Regards the USb key, could it be that it's not formatted inthe xbox file system, and that your console is formatting it on reading (xbfs I think)?

Dvd wise, I've no idea. I'm sure somone here will have some ideas for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

The application I wish to run is called Surreal 64. The aim is to run it from a disc.

However all my attempts have failed so far:

Finalised DVD-R with the application files burned onto the disc
    Unfinalised DVD-R with the application files burned onto the disc

Finalised DVD+RW with the application files burned onto the disc
    Unfinalised DVD+RW with the application files burned onto the disc

Finalised DVD-R with the application files converted into an ISO and burned.

None of these methods have worked so far. Can anyone put me right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Okay this might sound like a stupid question but we have to elliminate all the possibilities.

Can u play backups of original games.

It may sound stupid but if u cant then u cant play emulators as it could be the bios is corrupt.

Charter:
    DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN RELATION TO BACKING UP/RIPPING GAMES

No discussion of running backups.

OP will the Xbox play original dvd's of games etc? What about using an ftp method, instead of going by disc?

Okay playing originals will not determin if you can play emulators also you wont be able to play dvds on xbox with the special dongal.

So can you play X. x referin to something we cannot discuss.

Just reply yes or no and i will know what you mean.

Also im not tellin him how to make or where to download them im just askin if he can play them.

If you cant play them id say best thing to do is open up xbox its easier to open than 360 and look at chip then go online and look at which chip is the same id say its an early xecuter and get a bios and reflash it which can be found off xbins dont use 1 from any where else.

• Advertisement

Okay playing originals will not determin if u can play emulators also u wont be able to play dvds on xbox with the special dongal.

So can u play X. x referin to something we cannot discuss.

Just reply yes or no and i will know what u mean.

Actually, it will eliminate if there's a problem with the drive, because from the OP's comments it won't read anything at all. So a genuine disc may be a good place to start.

I never mentioned films, original xbox games ARE dvd's. As an aside, dvd movies are playable without the dongle.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Actually, it will eliminate if there's a problem with the drive, because from the OP's comments it won't read anything at all. So a genuine disc may be a good place to start.

I never mentioned films, original xbox games ARE dvd's. As an aside, dvd movies are playable without the dongle.

Yea with software.

Yea with software.

Yeah a sotware solution, as opposed to the hardware dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Okay this might sound like a stupid question but we have to elliminate all the possibilities.

It may sound stupid but if u cant then u cant play emulators as it could be the bios is corrupt.

How do you mean backups?

It can play homebrew software with no problem.

They are all burned to DVD-R discs

Mikosyko wrote: »
    How do you mean backups?

It can play homebrew software with no problem.

They are all burned to DVD-R discs

Post edited to comply with forum charter.

• Advertisement

Seen as you can play backups i dont understand why u cant play the emulator.Where did u download the emulator from. Maybe the emulator isnt good u should download it from xbins if u cant find xbins just PM me and i will send it to u.

Also u will have to make the roms into xiso format. But what u should do is burn the emulator to a DVD-R and it should work but u wont be able to play any games as there will b no roms on it. I know its a waste of a disc but their not that dear and atleast u will know it works. Then make the roms into xiso format and burn to a seperate disc with emulator.

Seen as you can play backups i dont understand why u cant play the emulator.Where did u download the emulator from. Maybe the emulator isnt good u should download it from xbins if u cant find xbins just PM me and i will send it to u.

Also u will have to make the roms into xiso format. But what u should do is burn the emulator to a DVD-R and it should work but u wont be able to play any games as there will b no roms on it. I know its a waste of a disc but their not that dear and atleast u will know it works. Then make the roms into xiso format and burn to a seperate disc with emulator.

Wotzgoingon, I'm not going to continue to repeat myself. Do not mention the playing of backups again please.

Okay sorry!

Advertisement