Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord returned deposit, now looking for money.

Options
  • 12-08-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone would have some advice for me. I was renting with two others there and moved out in August. One of the others had the rent going direct debit to landlords account.

He came, scrutinised the house, and said thats fine, and wrote a cheque for the deposit.

Unfortunately my housemates direct debit did not cancell in time and he recieved an extra months rent in error. NOW he said he is keeping this €1,000 because the house is dirty, the arm chair needs replacing (the wooden lath underneath it is broken fair enough), and he said the radiator in one of the rooms was "pulled off the wall", (the screw in the wall bracket was loose, i had noticed it myself but it wasnt a huge deal)

NOW I just found out that as well as keeping the money, he is also asking for another €800 odd. The figures dont make sense but the girl who paid the rent said theres about 20 pages of stuff! Can he do this, considering he signed off and returned the deposit, AND that the "damage" could in no way amount to almost €2000...

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

minners wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone would have some advice for me. I was renting with two others there and moved out in August. One of the others had the rent going direct debit to landlords account.

He came, scrutinised the house, and said thats fine, and wrote a cheque for the deposit.

Unfortunately my housemates direct debit did not cancell in time and he recieved an extra months rent in error. NOW he said he is keeping this €1,000 because the house is dirty, the arm chair needs replacing (the wooden lath underneath it is broken fair enough), and he said the radiator in one of the rooms was "pulled off the wall", (the screw in the wall bracket was loose, i had noticed it myself but it wasnt a huge deal)

NOW I just found out that as well as keeping the money, he is also asking for another €800 odd. The figures dont make sense but the girl who paid the rent said theres about 20 pages of stuff! Can he do this, considering he signed off and returned the deposit, AND that the "damage" could in no way amount to almost €2000...

:(

Did he sign something to say all was ok when he returned the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minners

Yeah he got the other girl to sign below the meter readings etc, so they both were happy that they were all sorted! This was the day he also signed the cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 dopes

If he signed off on it then he cant retrospectively keep any money. Get onto the PRTB board.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He signed off on it, he's now keeping money that was paid to him in error. Definately contact the PTRB, your bank and maybe even the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Sharp practice. Totally unacceptable. And dare I say it perhaps even criminal - it sounds like a form of theft. Could be a case for the Gardai.

Solicitor's letter would be my favoured route - to scare the crap out of him - although that would be more expensive than a complaint to the PTRB which should probably be your first action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I don't think the gardai would get involved.

Definitely take it to the PRTB though. He inspected the place and signed off on it, he won't have a leg to stand on.

Advertisement