Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Petrol Lawnmower (Possibly Mountfield)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Take my advice and stay away from Mountfields. I bought a self propoelled one in B & Q a couple of years ago and it literally fell apart in the intervening 2 years. While the engine (Briggs and Stratton) is very good, the body is another matter. Each one of the plastic wheels has snapped off at one point or another. The handle snapped off and I couldn't get a replacement so I braced it with a metal rod as a splint. The plastic guard underneath has snapped off and been hacked to bits by the blade, etc etc etc.

Buy something more reliable like a Honda mower. Might cost you a few extra quid but it'll last for years unlike the Mountfield which you'll end up fecking into a skip like I have recently done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Went for this one :

Mountfield HP474

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9376637&fh_view_size=150&fh_start_index=0&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=mountfield+hp&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1281644549414&isSearch=true

Ideally I'd love to buy a ride-on or more expensive self propelled but as I don't have the money for one this Mountfield one will have to do for now. I was gonna go for the self propelled but we have a fairly level surface and the wife was cautious of something going wrong with the "self-drive" feature .......... women ?????

Manual said the unit should take .6l of oil ...... it took about .8l and I did a bit of mowing. Engine started to smoke slightly so I fired in the remaining oil. Is this normal for first start of a machine like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Manual said the unit should take .6l of oil ...... it took about .8l and I did a bit of mowing. Engine started to smoke slightly so I fired in the remaining oil. Is this normal for first start of a machine like this ?
    I would say you have overfilled the machine, it should have a dipstick and at rest, with the engine level the oil should come up to the mark when the dipstick is dipped not screwed into the oil hole.
    If the machine needs 600ml then thats what it should have not 800 or 1000mls. be careful you can do damage overfilling engines.

Advertisement