Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone de-humidified a RROD board?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I've read around for months/years now about repairing RROD machines.. I've currently got 2 Jtag's which are red ringing (and I sold my last working one)..

I'm seriously contemplating sealing a small room and leave our de-humidifier in there to try and draw out any moisture in the boards.. The same as if you stick it in an oven (obviously wanna be careful with these though).

Has anybody any experience with trying to flatten a board to get it as level as possible? Obviously I've tried everything normal, I've fitted a DIY Hybrid advanced kit to 1st the GPU, now this morning the CPU, still nothing.. Have shims installed etc, still nothing!

I got it to work 2 days ago, colours and syncing was messed up, so evenly tightened the screws all around the edge of the metal tray, and it then booted up crystal clear, all colours spot on etc.. Turned around and took notes of what I did, turned around and tried to boot it back up once more, but got RROD!

It's E73 on this latest Falcon and E74 on a Xenon, if anyone knows if this could help, or have any oppinions, please reply!

Thanks! - Sorry for the random question!

P.S. I was gonna post this in a more international forum for more replies, but I think we prolly get more of this than abroad because of our humidity!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think the oven trick is more geared for melting solder Wez, and thereby letting it reflow itself. Sounds like you have tried everything, have you thought about having it reballed?

What about taking the top of the case off, leaving it in the bear undertray? Also "wind-tunneling" the heat sink, by putting a cover over the top of it. This creates a stronger vacumn in the fan shroud & thereby increased airflow overal.

Pity to see jtag's going like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

I find these lads very usefull.

Have a read through these couple of links:
    http://xbox-experts.co.uk/errorcode/E73/1021/
    http://xbox-experts.co.uk/errorcode/E74/1022/

Although maybe you have already seen them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, I'm contemplating a reball as a last option because of the price, not sure if there's a discount for multiple ones though..

I've repaired a good few in my time with them, only one of them has needed heat as a final touch (still working today) but I always try not to use heat because that's what broke them all in the first place. Having said that, I might try whip up a southbridge clamp and see if it helps at all (although I've tried putting SB + Hana under pressure for P.O.S.T - no joy!).

I'm contemplating getting a heatgun (as much as I hate them) and sealing the mobo air + heat tight, right upto the edge of the GPU (which is what I think I narrowed the problem down to). Then try flush underneath with alcohal, soak it in flux and prepare the heatgun. Obviously keeping it nice and flat while it's warming + cooling. This costs me 15-25 euro, for both if it works, or 65 each if I get a reball..

And on that note, I've never gotten anything reballed before, is it upto the customer to decide which chip to reball? And is it on a per-chip/mobo basis for price? Proper n00b when it comes to that shizz, if ya know anything.. Think it was Decontre (??) that said he knew someone doing it.

Cheers!

Oh yeh, X-E.co.uk is like my bible when I get home with new RROD machine's!! I actually commented on the E73 + E64 last night (although was knackered and confused a couple things - not a Jasper for example :D - can't edit either). Nice one for the links though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Cheers, sent him a PM just there, was fairly certain he was a troll/spambot, but after reading his other reply maybe he IS real! :P

His info's definitely spot on anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement