Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport stolen, not in safety deposit box

Options
  • 12-08-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

On holiday at the moment, no safety deposit box in one of the places we stayed at. There was a security guard on duty as well as CCTV and passport was locked into my suitcase in inside my room which was also locked. Passport, credit cards, camera, jewellery and presents stolen. Lots of hassle trying to get replacement passport sorted so far, obtained police report, went to embassy, got Emergency Travel Cert. Had to change flights home also as we were due to stopover in another country for a few days. Cannot do this now as we are not allowed into another country with ETC. Insured with Multitrip.ie who state we are not insured if items stolen are not in safety deposit box. Would you think we are covered if there was not a deposit box available for use or should I say that we were using one. Also says we would be covered if we lost these items. I know honesty is the best policy but it has cost us an awful lot so far and major inconvenience on our holiday, and I feel we are entitled to compensation. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

islander35 wrote: »
    On holiday at the moment, no safety deposit box in one of the places we stayed at. There was a security guard on duty as well as CCTV and passport was locked into my suitcase in inside my room which was also locked. Passport, credit cards, camera, jewellery and presents stolen. Lots of hassle trying to get replacement passport sorted so far, obtained police report, went to embassy, got Emergency Travel Cert. Had to change flights home also as we were due to stopover in another country for a few days. Cannot do this now as we are not allowed into another country with ETC. Insured with Multitrip.ie who state we are not insured if items stolen are not in safety deposit box. Would you think we are covered if there was not a deposit box available for use or should I say that we were using one. Also says we would be covered if we lost these items. I know honesty is the best policy but it has cost us an awful lot so far and major inconvenience on our holiday, and I feel we are entitled to compensation. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Your story would have to tie up with the police report.
    And, if your insurer investigated and caught you, you'd be without cover, and probably in deeper trouble.
    In which country did this occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

police report just states the address and what was stolen. happened in south east asia

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No Dishonest Dealings.
    Don't ask how to get around repaying debts/defaulting/giving false information for loans etc - basically if it's not above board, and legal, it's not allowed. This includes advising posters to do it/how to do it.
    Please see above from the charter.

You should tell your insurance company the truth, that there was no safety deposit box available. I would imagine that this may not change the status of your claim.

Please do not ask people for advice on how to defraud your insurance company (by lying on your claim form, this is what you are doing).

Any posters advising the OP to do this will receive a ban from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

Sorry mod!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

islander35 wrote: »
    Would you think we are covered if there was not a deposit box available for use or should I say that we were using one.
    celebrity-pictures-homer-simpson-facepalm-copy.jpg

If we can read your post on boards, so can your insurance company. To assume otherwise is pretty silly.

Sorry to hear you were shafted btw, hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Savman wrote: »
    celebrity-pictures-homer-simpson-facepalm-copy.jpg

If we can read your post on boards, so can your insurance company. To assume otherwise is pretty silly.

Sorry to hear you were shafted btw, hope you get sorted.

That facepalm should be for you - how do you propose the insurance company can prove an online pseudonym is linked with a real person. :pac:

If the police report mentions nothing about a security box(which I presume it normally would), I reckon you're in trouble.

I guess it's worth a shot, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    That facepalm should be for you - how do you propose the insurance company can prove an online pseudonym is linked with a real person. :pac:

If the police report mentions nothing about a security box(which I presume it normally would), I reckon you're in trouble.

I guess it's worth a shot, though.
    Er, wake up. Online is not half as anon as people think, it wouldn't be hard for someone to join the dots here. They may not be able to prove anything concrete, but all you need to do with any insurance company is "arouse suspicion" and they'll look for any reason not to pay out.

It's kinda the entire basis of what insurance is.

Advertisement