Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which College Course to choose?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm eligible for the BTEA scheme at the moment and really want to take this opportunity to go to college. The thing is i'm not sure which course to choose, how to choose or whats available.

Having left school pretty young and had a lets say varied and restless working life in everything from teaching english to working in carnivals, offices, bars etc in different parts of the world (and here in Ireland) theres no obvious thread that i could follow. But the main stay in my life has been in the Arts. So here's what i'm trying to choose between (or find something that encompasses a few of the below) these are my primary fields of interest.

Art - Painting, Animation, Graphic Design
    Music - Performance, Composition, Sound production
    Journalism - print or media
    Film - Script writing, directing, visual production
    Theatre - writing, design, directing

I'm interested in other things such as history, philosophy, theology, psychology. As well.

I know i'm listing alot of things there and i don't expect to find something which covers all those bases...i only list so many so that i can find out how it all works and what i could/should be aiming toward or how some could be bundled together...like i say i'm not really sure how it all works as having left school so young i never really got to the stage of looking at college options.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm eligible for the BTEA scheme at the moment and really want to take this opportunity to go to college. The thing is i'm not sure which course to choose, how to choose or whats available.

Having left school pretty young and had a lets say varied and restless working life in everything from teaching english to working in carnivals, offices, bars etc in different parts of the world (and here in Ireland) theres no obvious thread that i could follow. But the main stay in my life has been in the Arts. So here's what i'm trying to choose between (or find something that encompasses a few of the below) these are my primary fields of interest.

Art - Painting, Animation, Graphic Design
    Music - Performance, Composition, Sound production
    Journalism - print or media
    Film - Script writing, directing, visual production
    Theatre - writing, design, directing

I'm interested in other things such as history, philosophy, theology, psychology. As well.

I know i'm listing alot of things there and i don't expect to find something which covers all those bases...i only list so many so that i can find out how it all works and what i could/should be aiming toward or how some could be bundled together...like i say i'm not really sure how it all works as having left school so young i never really got to the stage of looking at college options.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply ;-)

HI,

I think you are now too late to apply for any of the degree courses, although if you have been out of education for a number of years it may be difficult to obtain a place on a degree course without some sort of recent educational foundation, particularly in Arts related subjects.

However there are a number of further education courses throughout the country and a FETAC level 5 in Liberal Arts or Cultural & Heritage studies may be more advatageous to your current needs as a lot of your interests appear relevant to both these courses. BTEA is available for these courses if you enlist on a fulltime basis, both courses are 1 year in duration.

I completed the Liberals Arts course in May just gone and have received a place in College to study at degree level. I am of the opinion that without the previous years experience, Degree level would be extremely difficult for me, so I would recommend FETAC level 5 for anyone out of education for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

HI,

I think you are now too late to apply for any of the degree courses, although if you have been out of education for a number of years it may be difficult to obtain a place on a degree course without some sort of recent educational foundation, particularly in Arts related subjects.

However there are a number of further education courses throughout the country and a FETAC level 5 in Liberal Arts or Cultural & Heritage studies may be more advatageous to your current needs as a lot of your interests appear relevant to both these courses. BTEA is available for these courses if you enlist on a fulltime basis, both courses are 1 year in duration.

I completed the Liberals Arts course in May just gone and have received a place in College to study at degree level. I am of the opinion that without the previous years experience, Degree level would be extremely difficult for me, so I would recommend FETAC level 5 for anyone out of education for a long time.

Thanks for that LTL, I don't have any recent educational foundation but i have a fair bit of experience on most of the above, I've done some basic work on short-films and video shoots, had some paintings up in a gallery in the city centre, have a lot of experience in music, did a fair bit of theatre including writing some years back and i've written some film reviews, interviewed a very well known international band and written some travel articles so i'm hoping that some of that life experience might make up for the amount of time i've spent out of the educational system...but who knows?

It's a pity that i'm too late to apply for degree level courses...though that information you gave on those two fetac options was very interesting and i think i'll check that out a little more.

Do you know if its too late to apply for one of those?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It probably is too late, but if you apply and can get an interview you may be able to get a waiting list place. You have good circumstances - interests, background, age etc, so you would have a reasonable chance of getting onto a waiting list.

Thanks for that LTL, I don't have any recent educational foundation but i have a fair bit of experience on most of the above, I've done some basic work on short-films and video shoots, had some paintings up in a gallery in the city centre, have a lot of experience in music, did a fair bit of theatre including writing some years back and i've written some film reviews, interviewed a very well known international band and written some travel articles so i'm hoping that some of that life experience might make up for the amount of time i've spent out of the educational system...but who knows?

It's a pity that i'm too late to apply for degree level courses...though that information you gave on those two fetac options was very interesting and i think i'll check that out a little more.

Do you know if its too late to apply for one of those?
    Thanks!

It depends were you are located I know the uptake is quicker than last year however, I know that they keep a certain amount of places for students awaiting leaving Cert results in case they do not attain the required points to access Uni etc. I know in Drogheda at least, the mature students who took part i.e. > 23's did better than those coming from leaving Cert and so the demand for mature students will no doubt enhance your chances (at least in Drogheda). All the mature students who applied for Degree place's were accepted for Sep 2010, so it is definately the way into University.

I only applied at the end of August 2009 for DIFE and got a place, I know the demand was not as intense as this year. The subjects where, Eng Lit, History, Archaeology, Folklore, Communications, Work experience, Sociology, Internet studies and Human Development (Subject to change for 2010). You can apply on line at DIFE.ie

Thanks guys...
    looksee wrote: »
    It probably is too late, but if you apply and can get an interview you may be able to get a waiting list place. You have good circumstances - interests, background, age etc, so you would have a reasonable chance of getting onto a waiting list.
    that sounds good to me looksee...so do i just ring the colleges directly or is there some other route that i should go?
    It depends were you are located I know the uptake is quicker than last year however, I know that they keep a certain amount of places for students awaiting leaving Cert results in case they do not attain the required points to access Uni etc. I know in Drogheda at least, the mature students who took part i.e. > 23's did better than those coming from leaving Cert and so the demand for mature students will no doubt enhance your chances (at least in Drogheda). All the mature students who applied for Degree place's were accepted for Sep 2010, so it is definately the way into University.

I only applied at the end of August 2009 for DIFE and got a place, I know the demand was not as intense as this year. The subjects where, Eng Lit, History, Archaeology, Folklore, Communications, Work experience, Sociology, Internet studies and Human Development (Subject to change for 2010). You can apply on line at DIFE.ie

Well that gives me some hope that it might not be too late LTL hopefully i'll get that lucky as we're heading toward the end of Aug now.

Guys - sorry if my questions sound obvious or stupid but i really do have no idea how to apply for these things and i'm aware that time is against me in terms of this years enrollment...but i'm wondering if i was to go for example a 1 year FETAC course like the ones mentioned above or this one: http://www.careerguidance.ie/plc-courses/details.php?id=1682
    would it then be possible to go on to a degree course like the Animation or Film and Television Production ones in IADT http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/SchoolsCourses/SchoolofCreativeArts/

Or is the BTEA scheme for the duration of one course only??

• Advertisement

Thanks guys...

that sounds good to me looksee...so do i just ring the colleges directly or is there some other route that i should go?

Well that gives me some hope that it might not be too late LTL hopefully i'll get that lucky as we're heading toward the end of Aug now.

Guys - sorry if my questions sound obvious or stupid but i really do have no idea how to apply for these things and i'm aware that time is against me in terms of this years enrollment...but i'm wondering if i was to go for example a 1 year FETAC course like the ones mentioned above or this one: http://www.careerguidance.ie/plc-courses/details.php?id=1682
    would it then be possible to go on to a degree course like the Animation or Film and Television Production ones in IADT http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/SchoolsCourses/SchoolofCreativeArts/

Or is the BTEA scheme for the duration of one course only??

At the moment subject to budget changes! You can complete your FETAC level 5 as long as the course is fulltime and receive the BTEA if you meet the criteria, then if at the end of the year you want to further your qualification to degree etc. as long as the course is again fulltime, a step up from level 5 and at a recognised college/uni you can then receive BTEA until the completiion of the course, you will have to reapply for BTEA prior to the resumption of any degree course you may opt for.

I think the first course listed above is ok not too sure about the second one.

At the moment subject to budget changes! You can complete your FETAC level 5 as long as the course is fulltime and receive the BTEA if you meet the criteria, then if at the end of the year you want to further your qualification to degree etc. as long as the course is again fulltime, a step up from level 5 and at a recognised college/uni you can then receive BTEA until the completiion of the course, you will have to reapply for BTEA prior to the resumption of any degree course you may opt for.

I think the first course listed above is ok not too sure about the second one.

Thanks again LTL i'm sending out emails and i'm gonna call a few places tomorrow...looking particularly at film courses which seem to have good options for following on to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Any of thosr art based courses you've mentioned requires a portfolio. Try and find a art portfolio prep fetac that includes video as a module.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes2010/title,34311,en.html

Visual & Critical Studies - DT533
    Honours Degree - Level 8

Post your completed application form to:
    Admissions Office
    DIT
    143 - 149 Lower Rathmines Road
    Dublin 6
    Before 5pm on Friday, 3rd September 2010

Thanks all.

I'm actually looking at the possibility of VTOS along with BTEA as it seems to offer a little more relief regarding costs etc...i've narrowed down the courses i'm looking at and the majority are available for VTOS so if i can get onto it i could do VTOS for the first year and hopefully that will allow me to apply for a degree course next year which i should be able to do under the BTEA if all the reading i've been doing is correct.

Probably too late to avail of VTOS though.

Do you know if i get turned down for VTOS with one VEC can i apply for it through another (i'm looking at similiar courses covered under 3 different VECs) or is the decision made by the department of education?

Sorry the last question is slightly off thread - will probably start a seperate thread for that question tomorrow :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

With regards to VTOS/BTEA eligibility: you can only apply for one or the other, not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

I hadn't been in education in 17 years. So in April I did 18 week level 6 access course in LIT.
    By the July I had my place on a level 8 honours computer science course.

The access course was the best move I made in years. Gets the brain working again. It also gets you used to the college environment.

The staff at the college go out of their way to make sure you get the degree course you want.

Believe it or not colleges prefer mature students. Because you guessed it. They are mature! And are more willing to put the effort in, because we all know what its like to be stuck in a dead end job on Sh&t money!!! lol

Advertisement