Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed - managed to get rid of important files!

• 12-08-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Posted this over in laptops but got no response!

I have a 5 year old Sony Vaio VGN-FS running XP. 1.73 GHz - 0.99 RAM.

On my drive C I use Media Monkey for my music storage and have run out of space. I did a disk cleanup to try and get rid of unwanted files so I could put some more music on and must have deleted some important DNS settings because now I can't get on to the internet!

I have a lan/high speed connection currently - intel(R) pro/100 VE network connection and it seems to be fine, I just can't access anything on the net.
    I was running AVG but seem to have deleted the files for that too in my hunger to free up space!

Can anyone help? If I get it back and running, can I add extra memory to Drive C? It's currently used 36.9gb with only 269mb free. On Drive D I've used 20.6gb with 9.64mb free. Should I get memory for both drives or how does it work? Not very computer literate! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

It *should* be easier to free up space than get a bigger hard-drive if you aren't very PC literate.

Can you
    ping 159.134.237.6

from the command prompt, post back the output and we'll go from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

With so little free space left anything like scans etc will take extra time.
    You should definitely consider getting an external drive an put most/all music, vids etc on that instead.

Usually disk cleanups don't remove system files, what tool did you use? Or did you just remove folders and files from C: manually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Google for 'undelete software for mac' and look for some options.

You'll first need to move some stuff to D: for elbowroom and install the undelete stuff onto D: as you don't want it to overwrite what's left of the files you want to recover.

However, in general, having less than 1% of free space on any drive is nuts and hammers performance. I'd always have at least 5%. Hard drives are not expensive these days as you can pick up an external 1TB for less than €100. Dunno about internal mac hard drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

tricky D wrote: »
    Google for 'undelete software for mac' and look for some options.

You'll first need to move some stuff to D: for elbowroom and install the undelete stuff onto D: as you don't want it to overwrite what's left of the files you want to recover.

However, in general, having less than 1% of free space on any drive is nuts and hammers performance. I'd always have at least 5%. Hard drives are not expensive these days as you can pick up an external 1TB for less than €100. Dunno about internal mac hard drives.

Where the hell did she mention MAC? Did you jump the gun there a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sony don't make Macs :confused:

OP, open a command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all' (assuming you're running Windows) and copy-paste the results. Do you have any other computers that share this network?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

jpl888 wrote: »
    Where the hell did she mention MAC? Did you jump the gun there a bit?

Chillax. Only a harmless but wrong assumption.

Seeing as it's Windows, then go for Recuva which is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

would it not be easier to do a system restore to before you started deleting stuff? If you have a backup made that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Calm gentlemen please. Cut the sniping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks to everyone for their help! I used Recuva and am now back on-line! :D

I have an external hard drive which I bought specifically to put Media Monkey on to. However, it doesn't transfer the files properly, it gives me error messages. Is there any way I can transfer the file in bulk without having to select all the tracks and choose 'send to' external drive?

Failing that, what should I do re. extra internal memory? What do I ask for? :o

Thanks again for all your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

If you use windows explorer(not to be confused with internet explorer), just browse to the folder where you keep all your media, and just cut and paste the folder across to the external drive

• Advertisement

Tried that but it only transfers some files. When it comes to ones it can't read it stops instead of skipping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Recover my files is good for this, It is forensic software and will find numerous copies of a single file

Mike... wrote: »
    Recover my files is good for this, It is forensic software and will find numerous copies of a single file

Will that work for music tracks that are no longer there?

Advertisement