Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I downloading when I watch movie online?

• 12-08-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Am I downloading anything when I watching move online?

Recently Eircom charged me for excess use of broadband but I did not download anything but only watched movies online. Is it one kind of downloading?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Short answer: Yes!

You are still downloading the content to watch it e.g a youtube video of 4 mins is about 4mb or something like that so a programme is much much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

yes you are downloading!I swear it happened to me too.You may aswell actually download the film itself and save it as a file on you're pc instead of just watching it online.That way you can watch it over and over again without having to download it off the site everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

yh your downloading them to a temp folder. When you restart your pc or clear browsing history they get deleted. Bit streaming an episode of a show is the exact same a downloadind to the hd in terms of bandwith used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

MGLman wrote: »
    Am I downloading anything when I watching move online?

Recently Eircom charged me for excess use of broadband but I did not download anything but only watched movies online. Is it one kind of downloading?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Yes. "Downloading" is copying content from a remote location to your location. In order to watch movies on-line, you are copying the content from wherever the movie is stored to your desktop so that you can watch them. It doesn't matter if you don't keep the contents afterwards. When done in real-time, it's usually called "streaming". Even visiting a website is a form of downloading, they're usually just much smaller objects.

If you're continuously watching high-definition movies online, that would definitely make your ISP notice and charge you accordingly. If you plan to do this a lot, I'd recommend going to a higher rate plan with a higher download cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Any data coming to your computer from any other computer on the internet is downloading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement